Throat feeling horse today? [General]

2013 Jun 14
[Post moved to the forums from the vendor section.]

I'm disappointed that this restaurant will be serving horse meat. In the Ottawa Citizen article, Danny Mongeon says that " for Quebecers, eating horse meat is pretty common", that is total non-sense!!!

2013 Jun 14
What's the rudest thing I can say to NU5501, without getting banned?

If, Danny's restaurant is anything like Brut, I can only see success in his future. Best luck to him and his staff.

2013 Jun 14
Honestly, the fact that they have chutzpah to serve Horse makes me want to eat there more. It is a common meat in Europe, especially in France. I do understand why you may feel squeamish, much in the same way I would about eating Rabbit. I have a pet rabbit. However, I would never slam a restaurant because they serve it.

EDIT: After 20 seconds of research, "There is a thriving horse meat business in Quebec; the meat is available in most supermarket chains."-From Wikipedia

www.metro.ca

So....looks like they do NU5501

2013 Jun 14
New User 5501, you can be disappointed all you like. But whinnying about it before you've even tried the food won't earn you any credibility as a neigh-sayer in this here ranch. ;-)

Horse meat is a great thing to have on a menu. Those who don't eat horse are free to order something else or patronize other establishments (as do vegetarians and the pork-averse).

2013 Jun 15
Because of the North American horsemeat drug issue, the EU is on schedule as of August 1st to decline to accept horsemeat from Canada. www.latitudenews.com

2013 Jun 15
If you're planning on eating the horsemeat at this place, I'd suggest doing it quickly because proposals are being made to ban horsemeat asap, due to the chemicals and lack of adequate traceability of the horses. The European Union has already done so. Mongeon sources his meat from Les Viandes de la Petite. This is not a horse farm (there are no horse farms specifically for slaughter). The horses that go through Les Viandes de la Petite are pets, companion animals, etc and their traceability is highly suspect. There are numerous kill buyers who have admitted (undercover)to fudging documents. These are unscrupulous people willing to do anything for a dollar. These videos are available for screening on YouTube. Also, this might be of interest:
www.horse-canada.com
I know you all pride yourselves on eating unusual things, but at least be smart about it.

2013 Jun 16
I was right. I was hoping the brigade from the now defunct facebook page, wouldn't continue their online bully campaign here, but it looks like they have. I find it interesting that people who have never set foot in ottawa, will continue to try to shame Hooch for this.

2013 Jun 16
'..... online bully campaign'..? The facts are the facts, and even if you choose to ignore them, they are nonetheless still facts. There is no bullying here. The facts are that horsemeat in this country is not safe and other countries have already recognized that. The industry is not properly regulated. You are free to eat it but, mark my words, the government will be stepping in at some point to save you from yourselves. If you don't believe me, do some online research yourselves, as there is a lot of documented information re bute found in Canadian horsemeat (government stats). Your loyalty to this chef is admirable, but it's blind and uninformed. Go ahead and eat pigs' trotters, duck liver, and whatever other animals are on the menu, but you would be wise to avoid the horsemeat. I won't be stepping inside that restaurant as it is clear to me that notoriety and sensationalism is more important to this chef than the health and safety of his customers.

2013 Jun 16
Food Safety News
HomeFoodborne Illness OutbreaksFood RecallsFood PoliticsEventsSubscribeAbout UsDirectory

New Mexico’s AG Says Horses Are on Too Many Drugs to be Slaughtered
BY DAN FLYNN | JUNE 12, 2013
An official opinion from New Mexico Attorney General Gary K. King either marks the end of horse slaughter in The Land of Enchantment or a meaningless intervention into federal meat regulation. In a June 10 AG’s opinion, the Democrat King said veterinary drugs are too commonly administered to horses not to view their meat as adulterated under state law, a ruling that would make horse meat unfit for human consumption.

Valley Meat Co. in Roswell, NM has been close to becoming the first USDA inspected horse slaughter facility in the U.S. since 2007. Valley Meat’s attorney, A. Blair Dunn, told the media the state AG’s opinion was meaningless.

Dunn said the horse slaughter facility will have a USDA-approved drug residue testing program in place just like those used for other animals.

King’s opinion came in response to a request from State Sen. Richard Martinez (D- Española).

“Based on our examination of the relevant constitutional, statutory and case law authorities, and the information available to us at this time, we conclude horse meat from U.S. horses would fit the legal definition of an adulterated food product under the NM Food Act if the meat came from horses that had been treated with chemical substances that the federal Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) has deemed unfit for human consumption,” King wrote. “We also conclude that if horse meat were an adulterated food product, the NM Food Act would prohibit its manufacture, sale or delivery.”

A ban on horse slaughter in the U.S. was imposed from 2007 through 2011, but then lifted after an Inspector General’s report suggested the ban was causing more inhumane treatment of horses, including widespread instances of starvation and abandonment.

Valley Meat, a former bovine slaughter operation, has been in the lead in its request for USDA inspection services, among a handful of other applicants mostly from small towns in rural states.

Meanwhile, national animal welfare groups are pressuring Congress to re-impose the ban and are conducting public opinion surveys in states with applications to show the generally large opposition to horse slaughter.

Owners who have no intention of ever sending their horse to slaughter often treat horses with many drugs for pain and other aliments. If those horses fall into the hands of someone who does send them to slaughter, there is a potential problem with drug residues getting into the meat.

Ironically, the Interior Department’s huge population of wild horses, which are never suppose to be slaughtered, are the most drug-free horses.

USDA’s National Residue Program exists to test newly slaughtered meat for illegal drug residue, pesticide, hormones, and other contaminants. There probably would be little difference in the way equine testing would work from the bovine testing, for example.

There is no safe level for some animal drugs. Phenylbutazone or “bute,” often used to control pain in horses, has no safe level for any horse used for slaughter. The European Union bans it from horses sold in the EU for human consumption.

One point of controversy is that the National Residue Program conducts post-mortem testing, meaning there is not a pre-slaughter way of cutting drug residue in meat.

© Food Safety News
More Headlines from Food Policy & Law »
Tags: horse slaughter, horsemeat, New Mexico, Valley Meat

2013 Jun 16
I find the general foodie attitude towards the rejection of facts and lack of concern for how and where animals are sourced to be rather offensive. Anthony Bourdain wrote that good eating was only possible by taking extreme risks, which of course many foodies do, especially when one considers such meats as horse. I once asked a Toronto resto where they would draw the line, and they said that they would serve bush meat if they could get it. Really, is the CFIA inspecting bush meat now?

Despite all the articles out of the Toronto Star about drugged horses that were former private pets, y'all seem afraid to address those issues.

Considering appending some new restos to this blog post - heatherclemenceau.wordpress.com

2013 Jun 16
Talk about flogging a dead horse...

(hehehe)

2013 Jun 17
I've created this forum topic as a catch-all for horse meat comments that are off-topic in the vendor section.

2013 Jun 17
So this is the horse meat comment corral? :)
Or carousel?

2013 Jun 17
Fun!

Maybe we can also have threads for the cat food fanatics, anti-goose liver lobbyists, farmed fish foes, baby seal supporters and/or vegan vigilantes...

2013 Jun 17
Those *are* all appropriate topics for the forums. You are free to hit the Ignore button on any topics you don't want to hear about. :)

2013 Jun 17
We were just in Parma Italy, pesto di cavallo (horse tartare) is a regional specialty, but horse and donkey are both common proteins throughout Italy. We didn't partake - we were too fixated on maximizing the consumption of culatello and artichokes. To say we don't eat horse meat in Canada is just wrong, culturally egocentric actually. You may not like that it happens, but it does, and it doesn't make the consumer less 'conscious' than you - just different. Move on.

2013 Jun 18
I do understand why some of these people have health concerns about horse meat. I do trust the chef is trying to take appropriate action. However, I must state that the method they have gone about trying to warn people is the completely wrong way, and is why they are having such a huge backlash. They come across as very aggressive, and combative.

Furthermore, the people who aren't raging against horse meat for health reasons are really aggravating. On the facebook page, they were attacked from people who'd never have and never will set foot in Canada, let alone Ottawa. Furthermore, attacking only one restaurant on this one dish screamed hypocrisy. I did not see them attacking any restaurant that serves either Veal, or Foie Gras, both of which, to me, seem to worse and crueler.. Once again, I do understand where they are coming from. I have a pet rabbit, and never would eat rabbit. However I would never boycott a restaurant that served it, nor outright attack them.

So, in short, it's a case of the message being lost to the means.

2013 Jun 19
I ate horse meat once when I was in Italy...it was okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it again.

Also, telling us that there are concerns about the lack of regulations in Canada and citing articles from New Mexico doesn't prove your point.

Also, also the angry protesters above are clearly passionate about this issue, and like all borderline nut jobs, they don't understand why everybody isn't up in arms about it. This perspective of horses aren't food is strictly a North American sentiment, people all over the world eat horses.

If you don't want to eat horses, then don't. If you don't want to eat at a restaurant that serves horse, then don't. But don't come on here and try to stop everyone from eating at a restaurant that serves it because you don't like the idea of people eating an animal you love so much.

Stop trying to shame everyone into believing what you believe.

2013 Jun 19
If horse was served to you inadvertently or fraudulently like it has happened in UK/Europe in ground "beef", I can understand the hardened stances.

I lived in France and cheval is available at many butchers. I did not try it but I have nothing against people who tried it or eat it regularly. And I did not avoid it on principle but don't know what to do with it and have not been in a restaurant which serve it or if at a restaurant that served it, there was something else I very much wanted to try.

Do what you believe in but no need to try to convert everyone else.

2013 Jun 19
Hmmm, it seems like the only activity from the anti-horse people since this was moved to the forums was downvoting anyone who disagreed.

Please, if you feel we're being unfair, or wrong, actually come out and say it. Refute our points, point out our logical failings. At least try to have a reasonable discussion, but don't hide behind anonymity.

2013 Jun 19
Your points, or rather the chef's points that horses were actually raised on LPN, were refuted. Numerous articles were supplied to support the assertion that horses - racehorses, children's ponies, carriage horses, ranch horses, etc were all slaughtered for food.

Mr. Mongeon and many others still cling to the notion that these are purpose-bred animals, which couldn't be further from the truth.

If he actually had been to LPN as he claims, he would have clearly seen that it is a cesspool filled where horses stand ankle to knee deep in manure that is never removed, with no water or food for horses (it's unnecessary because they are typically slaughtered within a day or two of being shipped from the US).

Someone is devoid of actual facts and it's not us.

BTW, did you know that, despite their so-called state of the art facility, the plant was temporarily shut down for inability to stun animals correctly? But don't let that detract for your meal.........

2013 Jun 19
Ah, but here's the interesting bit. The only source I can find on your assertation is the CHDC blog, which is hardly an unbiased source. I can find no actual news releases, nor any word from the CFIA about your claims. While it is true the plant was temporarily close, it was just for inspection after the claims were made by the CHDC. I see no charged being filed, nor any evidence of what you claim, and the plant shortly reoponned after. In facct, just an objective reading of the facts, it seems tht teh CHDC forced the CFIA to investigate it, and then proclaimed that the standard shut down for inspection, was in fact because of how they treated their animals, without a single shred of evidence.

If you can provide links, from an unbiased source, I would be more than glad to admit I'm wrong here. However, the evidence is not in your favor at this point.

EDIT: I actually decided to take an extra steps worth of research, and have contacted the CFIA, and asked if the inspection report is public. If it is, and they let me see it I will gladly post it's content here for all to read, and for all to decided.

2013 Jun 19
www.thestar.com

www.thestar.com

www.thestar.com

www.latitudenews.com

www.netnebraska.org

CFIA won't reveal anything to the Star. Hopefully you'll have better results.

2013 Jun 19
Why are you quoting the CHDC, and then discounting them? Can't have it both ways.........

2013 Jun 19
From the EU - Canada not in compliance with EU standards for horsemeat:

ec.europa.eu

Switzerland finds drugs in Canadian horsemeat:

www.thegrocer.co.uk

And my own analysis of the illusion of "safe levels" of phenylbutazone:

heatherclemenceau.wordpress.com

No racehorses in the food chain eh?

www.theglobeandmail.com

2013 Jun 19
Fair points. Except I never quoted them. At all. I stated what they said, and pointed out that they are hardly an unbiased source.

As for the news articles you posted, mea culpa. The meat could very well be dangerous.

However, you did also gloss over my points about how your approach is what is earning you so much ire. You are needless agressive, and combative. No matter how good the poitns you make are, you do it in a way, that automatically makes people discount you, because it seems like you are attacking them. Not the supplier, not the seller, but the consumer. If you really want people to read what you are saying, then tone it down, and be less agressive about it.

2013 Jun 19
Public health risk for bute:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Tainted horsemeat puts consumers at risk:

www.foodproductiondaily.com

2013 Jun 19
Posting links is too aggro for you?

My, you must have delicate sensibilities! LOL

I'm amazed that you read all these links so quickly. My hat's off to you.

But you are all consumers here, not producers, kill buyers, breeders, so methinks your ire is displaced.

I think that, if you had read and analyzed the links, you would have no need to turn it around and claim I'm too aggro. You failed to evaluate the salient points, and instead attacked the messenger.

If "ire" translates to people voting my posts down, meh, I can certainly handle that.

2013 Jun 19
Again, go back, and read your posts, and the posts by others from your cause. They have been needlessly argumentative.
In fact, your first post here
"

[b]I find the general foodie attitude towards the rejection of facts and lack of concern for how and where animals are sourced to be rather offensive.[/b] Anthony Bourdain wrote that good eating was only possible by taking extreme risks, which of course many foodies do, especially when one considers such meats as horse. I once asked a Toronto resto where they would draw the line, and they said that they would serve bush meat if they could get it. Really, is the CFIA inspecting bush meat now?

[b]Despite all the articles out of the Toronto Star about drugged horses that were former private pets, y'all seem afraid to address those issues. [/b]

You started off by saying we're offensive, and yes, outright attacking us. So, yes, you did not start off with goodwill, which is probably why you pissed people off enough to ignore you. As to us all being consumers, that is my point. It feels like you are assaulting us, not the producers, kill buyers, and breeders.

EDIT: Furthermore, you tossing a link to your personal blog at the bottom of your first post really screamed that you were doing this for attention, and self-promotion, not that you actually cared about anyone's health.

2013 Jun 19
"Please, if you feel we're being unfair, or wrong, actually come out and say it. Refute our points, point out our logical failings. At least try to have a reasonable discussion, but don't hide behind anonymity."

I probably would not have bothered to post here once again, except you seen to have sent us a personal invite.

So James, if you really had any intention of reviewing the many unbiased sources, please do so. If you'd like to excuse my blog as being biased, it will not bother me. Since I work in patho-biology, I do at least feel somewhat qualified in expressing my own opinion (supported by facts) in my blog.

My comments on the Hooch FB page were simply repostings of many of these links, yet they were met with steadfast refusal by both Chef Mongeon and everyone else before being deleted. But that's their prerogative, their FB page. But since I work in public health, it can hardly be claimed that I care not for health; in fact, it's one of my main motivations and something I am required to promote as part of my position.

Facts are generally believed to be independent of the persons asserting them.....

2013 Jun 19
Fair. I did read the news links you provided, and I have shifted my position on horse meat in Canada. I am not going to eat it at this point. I believe I had mentioned that earlier when I responded to your news links

My invitation was to get a civil debate going. If you look earlier, once again, I had pointed out the reason you were getting such a negative response was due to your methods, and the fact you started off insulting us. You, and other members of your cause, were far from civil in those first posts.

2013 Jun 21
I haven't bothered to return to this because it's like talking to a brick wall. I laughed at the poster calling us 'borderline nut jobs'. That's rich. I wonder if the two universities who granted me bacclaureate degrees would think so? Anyway, I have decided I don't give a flying fig if you poison yourselves. Darwin awards. Have at 'er. Ba-bye.

2013 Jun 21
And Kabe continues to illustrate my point perfectly. Antagonistic from the word go.

2013 Jun 22
Ive add it several time at Brut in Hull and its amazing. Oh and ive stopped eating rabbit since I have a pet rabbit at home...just kidding lol

2013 Jun 22
@James, thank you for reading the links on horsemeat. It was really all I was asking Chef Mongeon to do - to be honest about the origins of the meat he was serving and approach the issue from an informed perspective.

I apologize if I seemed harsh, but to tell customers that the meat is purpose-bred is not allowing the consumer to reach their own conclusion via the available information.

Thanks for at least being an informed consumer.

2013 Jun 23
Hmm, well I haven't red all the links posted but I did read some of them. And I even watched a few (but certainly not all) of the footage posted on the CHDC site of horses being slaughtered. And haven't ever eaten horse, but like any other meat I eat, I'd want to know who raised it and how it lived if I was going to eat it. Here's just a few things I think about this:

-if folks are so concerned about what drugs the horses get, why not the same concern about what other factory animals are eating? Don;t think that big feedlot farmers ever tell fibs about what drug was given when?

-why is it 'ok' for some animals to be raised in feedlots but not horses? Why not have outcry about the millions (or billions?) of beef cows, dairy cows, chickens, and hogs living in feedlots?

-many of us eat our pets at some point. I truly LOVE my breeding stock on my farm, they are like pets to me. Especially my dairy cows. I have a very, very close, hands on relationship with these cows. However, when it's obvious that they life is near the end, I will not waste them or valuable ground space on burying them. In a world where thousands (millions?) are starving, it seems so decadent to bury so much food. A pet horse would have had a better life than most factory animals, but it's wrong to eat it?

-many of the clips shown of horses being killed on the CHDC site may not be what you think. After an animal is killed, there is MUCH flailing about. It can go on for a while. Does not mean the animal is alive. In one clip, it seems like the horse takes a really long time to die and the worker seems to be looking about deciding what to do, but after seeing that and some of the other clips the pattern is: horse is bolted, horse bleeds out, then horse is removed. In this clip, the people on the other side never open the door to remove the horse, hence why the fellow looks confused perhaps. The banging and smashing that is heard is not the same horse, but probably another horse in another chute.

-If anyone has ever gutted a fish, it's a great example of how long the nervous system impulses continue after death. I remember learning how to gut fish as a child, and being amazed at how the heart totally separate from the body and other organs would beat for up to 15 minutes. Can't possibly say that fish was alive. Movement after death is not life, so take the horse killing clips in context.

-Didn't see any cruelty in the clips I saw, but only the worker talking quietly to the horses and reassuring them. But like I said I didn't watch all the clips.

-Animal cruelty happens to all sorts of creatures, not just horses. I hope all members of the CHDC are eating only organic, cruelty free, pasture raised meats, and certified organic veggies. (Conventional veggies rely on factory manure, or even horse feedlot manure which supports factory farming).

-And while it seems logical to go after the source of the meat that you think people shouldn't eat, it makes more sense to encourage people to change their buying habits. To use eggs as an example, if 50% or more consumers decided today to stop buying factory eggs anymore, it would have a huge impact. The producers would either launch massive campaigns to convince you that it's fine, or they would change their ways. There are far more consumers than producers, so the consumers have the power.

People love horses, and the emotions certainly run high when it comes to these kinds of discussions.

2013 Jun 23
"-if folks are so concerned about what drugs the horses get, why not the same concern about what other factory animals are eating? Don;t think that big feedlot farmers ever tell fibs about what drug was given when?"

Most everyone already has grave concerns about other animals. For one thing, the EID paperwork that is used by horse owners and kill buyers simply requires stating that "to be best of my knowledge, this horse hasn't had any drugs." Clearly you can see how that is problematic - anyone motivated by money is motivated to lie. But actual farmers are subject to other inspections and protocols that horse owners and horsemeat producers are not, because they are private citizens who often think that no one will catch them lying. Food animal farmers have much greater risk if they are caught lying.

"-why is it 'ok' for some animals to be raised in feedlots but not horses? Why not have outcry about the millions (or billions?) of beef cows, dairy cows, chickens, and hogs living in feedlots?"

It's not OK for any animal IMO, but the subject matter here is horses. The CHDC supports other endeavours to end inhumane treatment in other species of animals, especially food animals.

"A pet horse would have had a better life than most factory animals, but it's wrong to eat it?"

I'm glad you wrote "pet." Do we eat pets? Are "pets" regulated as food? I don't have any objection to anyone killing their own horse for food provided it is humanely dispatched. But if you spend any time researching the fraud behind mass production of horsemeat, starting with the EU scandal, transport issues, you will uncover that this is truly an unregulated market that the EU is now coming to the conclusion is too fraught with irregularities to pursue. But it's probably good enough for Canadians though! /sarcasm.

"Didn't see any cruelty in the clips I saw, but only the worker talking quietly to the horses and reassuring them. But like I said I didn't watch all the clips. "

Hitting a horse 11 times is out of spec. Seriously out of spec - incompetent in fact. This is why that particular plant was temporarily shut down, because of these videos. Plants are allowed a small margin of error in bolting horses - 95% of the time they must render the horse insensible the FIRST TIME IT IS HIT. Which is difficult to do, since horses have long necks, aren't used to having their heads restrained, and panic easily. Cows are used to being restrained throughout their life and are much easier to render unconscious. If you've ever tried to restrain a horse's head, you'd know they become utterly panicked, often flailing their heads about and slipping and falling in the chute. This is not humane.

"I hope all members of the CHDC are eating only organic, cruelty free, pasture raised meats, and certified organic veggies. (Conventional veggies rely on factory manure, or even horse feedlot manure which supports factory farming). "

Most of us don't eat any meat. But if anyone does eat meat, rest assured that it was not a former pet.

2013 Jun 23
New User 5506,

So you are a member of CHDC? Since you used we in the last answer.

2013 Jun 23
♫♫ "The 'ol grey mare ... she ain't what she used to be" ♫♫

2013 Jun 23
I know the thumbs down are coming but I just couldn't resist.

2013 Jun 23
Hey, I cosign that ^^. People who eat the meat of animals not designated for food are kinda cuckoo. Even more so when you consider that it's the private citizen and the kill buyer whom you allow to dictate what animals (in this case, horse) you're going to eat.

2013 Jun 23
" ... eat the meat of animals not designated for food ... "

I'd eat any meat for meat ( ... but not necessary those on the endangered list, belong to others etc.).

That would include homo sapiens ... if it were lawful ... and I had the consent (and wishes)of the donor.

Meat is meat.

2013 Jun 23
Kabe,

I called you a borderline nut job because anyone who tries to ram their beliefs down my throat by using a food related forum to try to prevent me from eating something I hadn't intended on eating, in a restaurant I hadn't intended on eating at is borderline nut job, in my opinion.

Have you ever heard this joke?:

Q. How can you tell if someone is a vegan?

A. Wait 5 minutes and they'll tell you that your entire dietary lifestyle is cruel and unhealthy. Whether you want to hear it, or not.

That's what you borderline nut jobs are doing.

2013 Jun 24
someone I know had a hobby farm and he eats the animal even though he and his family treats them like pets and names them. But they know these animal will eventually become food.

Some friends from my Prague days loves animals but when they ran over a rabbit in the night driving to their cottage, they were very pragmatic and cooked the rabbit into a stew. They did not plan on killing the rabbit but since they did accidentally, instead of leaving the rabbit on the road as road kill, they used it to provide a lovely meal.

2013 Jun 24
What ever happened to the days when we used to eat food because we enjoyed it???

Man I miss those days...now all I hear is someone's opinion on what they feel is right or wrong to eat.

I definitely have my opinions on people's food choice however I don't try to convince them to change their views/diet or openly criticize someone bc of it. Vegans, vegetarians, gluten free, dairy-free...whatever the case might be...I may not agree with it but I respect YOUR choice to follow whatever diet you choose. It's the beauty of life and sometimes it's interesting to actually talk to someone, as opposed to criticize them, who follows a certain diet. I've certainly learned a lot not by criticizing their decision but by being open and talking to them about their choice so I get a better understanding of it myself. At the very least, I feel bit more knowledgeable on the subject and for me that's not a bad thing.

Bottom line, if you feel unsafe/uncomfortable eating horse tartare...don't eat it. I'm not sure it has to get more complicated than that. People can do their research and formulate their own conclusions. A more educated food culture is not necessarily a bad thing.

We need to just accept/respect the fact that everyone is going to have an opinion and guess what...it's OK if it's different than yours.

2013 Jun 24
It does actually get more complicated. It's hardly ethical to knowingly sell a product that has drug residues in it. Phenylbutazone in particular has acknowledged reactions with several other drugs. It's a choice to eat raw food and risk a number of potential illnesses, since most people who eat raw meat are or should be aware of trich, etc. Raw meat is a choice, but unknowingly consuming by-products of veterinary drugs is not when you are deliberately kept uninformed.

We live in somewhat different times now - ethics have come into play for the socially conscious. If you're not socially conscious, I guess you can ignore those who are.

But apparently it's now acceptable for some to consider homo sapiens as a food option. I'm surprised that there are a few people here are so up-in-arms about the objections to horse (which are fairly well documented now, I think), but it seems that this group is conspicuously silent about people who would like to consume other humans. No comments on that?

I had no idea that Luka Magnotta was out of prison and posting here amongst us.

Humans - the other white meat?

2013 Jun 24
Here is a question for you new user 5506. Is it ok to eat horse if there were no chemicals/hormones or whatever else is in the meat you do not agree with being a pet or not?

2013 Jun 24
New User 5506, please put a lid on it.

2013 Jun 24
Isn't this the forum for horsemeat discussions? Why don't you take the advice offered upstream, and participate in the forums you like and ignore the rest?

This forum was created for this particular subject matter by a mod. So maybe it's you who should consider going elsewhere?

2013 Jun 24
I think that when a person makes a reference to Luke Magnotta on a food forum that person has crossed the line so I suggest it is time for YOU to consider going elsewhere.

2013 Jun 24
Seems self-evident that the reference to Luka would never have been made without the original reference to cannibalism, no?

Or is the consumption of humans now an acceptable topic on food forums?

2013 Jun 24
Re: Your last post re: Magnotta would suggest that, in your obviously superior opinion, two wrongs make a right. Can you tell me where I suggested that "the consumption of humans is now an acceptable topic on food forums"? Anyway, I think you should pick up your toys and go home.

2013 Jun 24
So the o-post about cannibalism was inappropriate? I never suggested that you endorsed it, I was merely positing that it's a lot less acceptable than the topic of horsemeat, particularly in a forum created for said discussion.

It's interesting that there are a minority of people attempting to bully others into silence. This forum was created for horsemeat discussion - would you rather I go back out and post under the individual restos?

2013 Jun 24
I really don't care what you do. I think you had some points to make, you made them, and it's time to let go and move on. Goodbye.

2013 Jun 24
Paraphrase: "People here complain about objections to eating horse yet they never complain about eating humans; therefore, they must support cannibalism!"

I think the utter lack of logic in that statement perfectly highlights the futility of any further discourse. :)

BEDEMIR: Tell me, what do you do with witches?
VILLAGER #2: Burn!
CROWD: Burn, burn them up!
BEDEMIR: And what do you burn apart from witches?
VILLAGER #1: More witches!
VILLAGER #2: Wood!
BEDEMIR: So, why do witches burn?
[pause]
VILLAGER #3: B--... 'cause they're made of wood...?
BEDEMIR: Good!
CROWD: Oh yeah, yeah...
BEDEMIR: So, how do we tell whether she is made of wood?
VILLAGER #1: Build a bridge out of her.
BEDEMIR: Aah, but can you not also build bridges out of stone?
VILLAGER #2: Oh, yeah.
BEDEMIR: Does wood sink in water?
VILLAGER #1: No, no.
VILLAGER #2: It floats! It floats!
VILLAGER #1: Throw her into the pond!
CROWD: The pond!
BEDEMIR: What also floats in water?
VILLAGER #1: Bread!
VILLAGER #2: Apples!
VILLAGER #3: Very small rocks!
VILLAGER #1: Cider!
VILLAGER #2: Great gravy!
VILLAGER #1: Cherries!
VILLAGER #2: Mud!
VILLAGER #3: Churches -- churches!
VILLAGER #2: Lead -- lead!
ARTHUR: A duck.
CROWD: Oooh.
BEDEMIR: Exactly! So, logically...,
VILLAGER #1: If... she.. weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood.
BEDEMIR: And therefore--?
VILLAGER #1: A witch!
CROWD: A witch!

2013 Jun 24
Have i mentioned how much i enjoy the tv series HANNIBAL?

2013 Jun 24
Will you Lecter us until you are horse?

2013 Jun 24
:)

2013 Jun 24
OSoloMeal, I know! It has the best looking food porn I'd never eat.

Also, I leave this thread for like 3 days and everythign went to hell and back. Either this means I am superb diplomat, who is a calming influnece, or everyone be crazy yo.

2013 Jun 27
@Fresh Foodie

"Paraphrase: "People here complain about objections to eating horse yet they never complain about eating humans; therefore, they must support cannibalism!"

I think the utter lack of logic in that statement perfectly highlights the futility of any further discourse. :)"

Now that's not even an accurate paraphrase!

What I questioned was, since everyone is fully embracing the meme of "let's censor anyone who is killing our horsemeat-eatin' mood," why they didn't kill the real downer that occurred when someone mentioned cannibalism?

Surely the dry-heave factor on that particular post should have prompted some objection, certainly over anything I've posted?

Just sayin'

2013 Jun 27
Dexter if a fab show too. The only way they could improve on that in the final season is to have him open a resto.

He's already wasted a lot of perfectly usable meat.....

2013 Jun 27
Though I have no desire to eat a horse, I would in a heartbeat if I was starving.

Though I have no desire to kill an animal for food, I would if I was starving.

I would rather eat nuts and berries than an animal with drug residue aside from it consuming hash brownies.

Was fortunate enough to spend a few summers in the Canadian Shield with some ethic folks who taught me it is possible to make some tasty dishes from things I would never have considered eating in the past:

-freshwater clams
-bugs bunny
-wiarton willy
-yogi the bear
-leave it to beavers

It is humorous to see people make generalizations from what the media states and their own cultural experience.

2013 Jun 28
Some professional chef was on the CBC the other day making an argument that not only should we be eating horse, but dog, cat, goldfish, etc etc. And not just the tasty parts, but nose to tail, fin, whatever, just chow down.

2013 Jun 28
Giddy up!

2013 Jun 28
Hi Ho Silver ! Away !