Best/cheapest source for unrefined coconut oil? [General]

2012 Oct 26
Coming here from the U.S. I admit I'm getting a bit of sticker shock at the price of unrefined coconut oil. Anyone know of a good/less expensive source for it in Ottawa?

Thanks!!

2012 Oct 26
Costco apparently has just started selling it...

From redflagdeals.com

Went to Costco at Innes Road in Ottawa

They were selling 1.5kg Carrington Farms Unrefined Virgin Cold-Pressed Organic Coconut oil (phew, say that a couple times) for $16.99. Pretty awesome deal for organic unrefined coconut oil.

2012 Oct 29
I may or may not have a lead for you, but it depends on what your definition of "expensive" is. How much did you see it going for that made you balk?

2012 Oct 30
I'm trying to remember. I think the small containers of it at Herb & Spice were $20-something, sizes I used to get for about $7. I found it a bit cheaper at Rainbow.

2012 Oct 30
Check around at the various health food stores, Kardish, Natural Food Pantry etc. I think I paid 15.99 for a large container (on sale)

2012 Oct 31
Loblaws likely has it in their natural food section -- not sure how the price compares with the health food stores, but they share a number of suppliers.

2012 Oct 31
I've seen coconut oil in mMugena's and various Indian grocery stores. Not sure if the oil was unrefined and can't remember the prices.

2012 Nov 14
also not sure if unrefined, but i did notice Produce Depot is carrying cold-pressed virgin Coconut Oil for $8.99 per jar - 450 gm i think and serving up a glorious 14K calories of saturated fat per teaspoon.

For balance, i think there was also a thread somewhere re. lite coconut milk - Produce Depot also has this.

2012 Nov 15
On the shelf at Bulk Barn (Merivale Rd.)

Grace Virgin Coconut Oil 500ml $7.49
Organic Coconut Oil ? $9.29

2013 Apr 1
Saw this on Saturday at Allspice Superstore.

Coconut Oil. 750ml for $6.99.

2013 May 4
At Grace on Bank St.

Only $2.99/500ml. But forgot to look and see if it was refined or not.

2013 May 8
I wonder how reliable the "virgin" coconut oil labeling is?
Considering all the fraud we have to steer clear of in the much more mature Olive Oil industry - I am concerned. There are no international standards
We are trying to find some at wholesale to bring into our Store, Emulsify. However it has been difficult to get reliable answers from the suppliers/importers.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - I am going to contact the companies and inquire about their Quality Control processes.
Unfortunately, all I good find online were references to Company sponsored designations and an "AsiaPac Coconut Community" - conflicts of interest everywhere.

One last comment - there are certainly places for Saturated Fats in a diet - of which Coconut has plenty of.
Although most health experts agree unsaturated fats promote better health.
As useful chart; www.diffen.com

Anyhow - here's to hoping I can find a reliable supplier - if anyone here has any recommendations of products they enjoy, please PM me.

Cheers!

2013 May 12
The Extraordinary Baby Shoppe is now stocking the Nutiva (organic, virgin) brand. $15/15oz, IIRC. It's good for so much more than just cooking, after all. ;)

2013 May 12
Costco has a coconut oil.

2013 May 13
Costco's:

www.costco.ca

A (alternative use) review from the above link:

"Rating: 4 Stars

Healey

Date:March 18, 2013

Better than KY

"This also works in the bedroom, way cheaper no mess, give it a try you will love it!!!!"

Was this review helpful to you?YesNo
(Report Inappropriate Review)
Share this Review: "

2014 Jan 10
This looks like a deal. $17.99 for 1596ml organic virgin cold press coconut oil.

Costco Near Merivale and Huntclub.