Road Tripping...New England [General]

2012 Jul 12
Happy Mouth is on the move at the end of the month! Road tripping though New England will take us to Burlington, VT., Portland ME., Boston, MA, Providence, RI., Saratoga Springs, NY. and Lake Placid, NY. Suggestions on sights and food welcome!

2012 Aug 3
Today's post is about Mike's City Diner and the Providence Oyster House:

"This morning is our last morning in Boston. We are moving on to Providence, RI. Before we go we are going to have breakfast at Mike's City Diner, a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives featured joint. We once again luck into parking out front but have to hunt down American change for the meter. Boston still resides in the dark ages regarding meter technology.

Mike's is clean and homey. A classic no frills or kitsch diner. Black and white and checks. Comfy, padded, armless chairs and tables. No banquettes. Banquette seating takes away some of the versatility a place has to seat parties of different sizes. The busy kitchen is visible from the seating area. The restaurant's various and many accolades are posted everywhere. President Clinton has been by.

Rob goes out to feed the meter and I peruse the menu. A very good breakfast menu. Good variety. Our server delivers excellent coffee and a humongous glass of grapefruit juice. Rob gets back to the table and we place our orders. I'm getting the Mike's Special - ham carved off the bone, two eggs over medium, grits, toast - coffee included. Rob wants Mike's Famous Pilgrim Sandwhich - turkey, stuffing and cranberries only to be told they don't serve it until eleven. "I know - we suck!" says our waitress...lol. He settles for a Southender omelette stuffed with corned beef hash and cheese with home fries and rye toast.

Breakfast arrives quickly and piping hot. My eggs are perfect but the grits while creamy, are unseasoned. I add butter and salt but they really need to be cooked with LOTS of salt. So I would pass on them. My ham is plentiful and very tasty, sliced thin and grilled on the flat top for a little carmelization. It's not over-salty. Perfect. The toast is decent, white and buttered. I ask for jam and she delivers really good homemade strawberry. "It's all we have, except for packets of grape jelly" she says. It is wonderful.

Rob's omelette is huge. The eggs are perfect and buttery good and hash inside is amazing, with large chunks of meat mixed with potato, while the cheddar flavour ties it all together. A very well made omelette. Mike's home fries are very good as well. Some of the best we've had. They seem to be simply spiced with seasoned salt. Delicious."

...To read more:
New Post: From Boston to Providence, RI. Spectacular diner classics and KILLER lobster mac and cheese
happymouth.ca/?p=7509

2012 Sep 16
Ask locally wherever you go for the best local donuts. Guaranteed they will all impress you if all you've experienced is Timmy's or Suzy Q.