New food truck for Ottawa [Food/Vendor]

2012 Jun 18
Tracie Behan, owner of the new food truck Tracie's Hollywood Diner, has been denied a licence for her food truck. The city requires vehicles to be 33 feet in length. Tracie's truck is 48 feet long. It looks like she has it well equiped with three ovens, three deep-fryers, and a walk-in refrigerator. I'm not sure where she would find parking space big enough for it though. The full story is here: www.ottawacitizen.com

2012 Jun 18
I saw that today and wondered what was she thinking? Who puts over $200K into a business before they find out if they can get the permits to run it? Or was it just a poorly written story and they left out something important, like she had a spot and then lost it?

Why not start small and then grow once you've developed a fan base? Weird.

2012 Jun 18
+1 hipfunkyfun. The article would have to be VERY poorly written, seems pretty clear:

"In Behan’s case, a permit was out of the question. The city requires entrepreneurs applying for mobile food vendors permit to sell out of vehicles less than 10 meters, roughly 33 feet, in length.

“Not to be rude or anything, but the woman I called told me ‘you’re not getting a permit — not a chance in hell,’” said Behan, 43. “Those were the actual words.”

Behan said she went ahead with building the custom trailer, fully believing the city would be ‘okay’ with the monstrous size of her sassy kitchen. The actual kitchen space is only about six meters, and fully complies with food safety and sanitation codes, she said"

Such a strange thing to do... and, for what it's worth, I'm with the city, that thing is friggin' huge.

2012 Jun 18
The Sun had a little more information, so her decision is still puzzling.

www.ottawasun.com

If she obtains a permit, Behan hopes to set up at the corner of Cyrville Rd and Maxime St. She hopes to appeal to businesses in the area and neighbouring communities.

For now, she’s working the festival circuit to make ends meet. She’s signed up for several summer concerts.

“But I didn’t build (the truck) for fairs,” she said. “I live in Ottawa and I’ve worked in the city’s catering business for 23 years. I figured we could give back.”

She’s preparing a petition for local residents to sign to bring the issue directly to city council.

“I didn’t buy a house, I bought this,” she said, exasperated. “I’m still not going to quit. I’ll work fairs, I’ll go across Canada, whatever I have to do to make this work.”

2012 Jun 18
Who would consider an undertaking on this scale without doing due diligence to find out if it would even be allowed? I feel bad for her, however, seems she didn't do her homework. Reading through some of the comments from the Ottawa Citizen article online, people have some valid concerns. Where would one park such a rig on Ottawa streets? I fear she may have to take it to another city for it to work for her.

2012 Jun 18
For 200K, she could have gotten herself a nice little resto without wheels that would not contravene Ottawa's rules.

2012 Jun 18
Yeah, this whole thing is absurd. I'm all for changing the food truck bylaws etc. but the very existence of a truck like this seems unnecessary. It looks like she went for flash over substance and, given the poor planning, it's coming back to bite her. This is the kind of venture that makes me understand what prompts government to implement regulation in the first place. I don't blame the permit lady for saying she had 'no chance in hell'.

2012 Jun 18
I think there's a place for this kinda truck. More than just fairs and similar attractions. Such as in a parking lot at algonquin near the bus station, or similar high traffic, poorly served locations.

You just have to think outside the box, but in all honesty.. I'd have done that thinking bit well in advance of a 200k investment. But not all restaurateurs are business people, hence the 70%+ failure rate. Good intentions, passion, and little appreciation for how much work it actually is. Loving to cook, doesn't mean you'll love to run an assembly line, which is what big restaurant business is.

I do believe she can make it work, it sounds like it's almost a go on private property. Which is fine. I think ours is a market that is under served, and well deserving of good food at reasonable prices.

The city has a size limit that apparently applies to private property food trucks as well, but given the size limit is intended "to ensure a truck such as Behan’s “does not take up too many required parking spaces for the primary use of the site,”" Which means, she can possibly get a permit for sites that have excess parking for their zoning. Ie. 2500sqft church has a parking requirement of 45 spots.. has actually 62 spots.

So I wish her luck.

2012 Jun 18
Hrm. Another sign of poor planning.. Try and find this lady or her business online.. Can't. No way to contact her or email her. None of the stories carry a webpage or any contact info either.

But on her end, there's no Facebook page, blog, website, phonebook listing...

Which means, anyone, who can or is willing to help. AND WOULD, as a result of this media attention, CAN'T.

Shakes head. I still wish her well.. but this is again poor planning.

2012 Jun 18
I thought it was next to impossible to get a food truck permit regardless of size anyway. Or does that just apply to the downtown/market area?

2012 Jun 18
You can put a food truck any where you want on private property, though you still have to have health code requirements met.

If this is true that she was told she'd never get a permit but went ahead anyway then I have to say I cannot support her in this. Yes, our food truck regulations are ridiculous and need to be changed, but I'm not sure the 10 meter limitation is unreasonable and it certainly would be nowhere near the top of my list of regulations to change regarding food trucks.

2012 Jun 18
Wow, on so many levels... Just wow. That's not a food truck, that's a food transport truck!

2012 Jun 25
POP UP PATIOS launched June 7th, 2012. Open Thur - Sat weather permitting, varying hours.

New gourmet Food Truck and Patio on the Rideau Canal, right in front of Ottawa convention Center. Best view on the Ottawa food truck scene.

Thought everyone might be interested in this given the high level of interest in new food truck offerings in Ottawa.

check out our user profile for greater details too.

twitter: @popuppatios
facebook: POP UP PATIOS

see you all soon.