Ottawa Foodie dinner for June? [Events]

2012 May 30
The Restaurant List active document is here: goo.gl/PhHAa

Any interesting for an Ottawa Foodie dinner for June?
Looking for restaurant suggestions and possible dates.

To throw a option out there but more options welcome:
Le Cordon Bleu Signature restaurant have Wednesday dinners with 4 courses and a bottle of wine for $99 / couple so $50 / person equivalent.

We had an alumni event here last year and we saw the $59 4 course menu but several did not want to do it and so most ended up ordering 3 courses a la carte (even those who said they did not have room for dessert went for them lol) and it was around $60+drinks++ for me so $50 for 4 courses with half bottle of wine is a decent deal and the food was excellent. We had a private room for the dinner.

some ideas from their current menu can be found here:
www.bistroatsignatures.com

2012 May 31
So many places to try...

My suggestion, slightly more exotic :

Chez Fatima

I've been there often for the lunch buffet, which is good, but rumor (and Anne DesBrisay) says the dinner menu is even better, especially the pastilla.

2012 May 31
Both suggestions are good ones! I haven't been to Signatures yet but I understand the food is very good. Our office had a catered lunch from Chez Fatima once and everything we ordered was soooo good!

One suggestion I would like to throw out there for purely selfish reasons is Play Food and Wine. I haven't been yet and haven't been able to drag my friends along...

I understand Ju Yiang Yuan is good too.

That said I will be happy to eat anywhere-;)

2012 May 31
In the future, if anyone wanted to do a Foodies dinner at Zen Kitchen, I'd be happy to set that up.

2012 May 31
"$50 for 4 courses with half bottle of wine is a decent deal" ... for those who can afford it.

How about a place which would be more inclusive to those Ottawa Foodies that are not financially challenged, like me ?

A place like Zaki Broasted Chicken and Grill was good. I think it maybe the first public (restaurant) Ottawa Foodie Meetup and cost did not seem to be an issue.

2012 May 31
I am not stuck on Signature. Just one restaurant I tried for a special dinner and would not mind going back again with a good deal.

Any interesting new opening?

2012 May 31
How about petit Bill for lobster roll? There were several people interested when we were discussing it back then.

2012 May 31
Petit Bill's sounds good to me!

2012 May 31
I'd like to favor new openings as opposed to existing restaurants. This way we support the businesses and try something new. Up for anywhere. I'll throw up a shared excel spreadsheet where we can track the suggestions.

One thing. If a new place isn't open, maybe we pick the restaurant by lottery? From the compiled list? This way it's kept interesting?

I think Ron Eade and someone used to do a monthly dinner outing. Restaurants loved the attention.

I'm not following caper, is there a budget constraint or not?

Affordability is relative of course. What I'd also recommend for the higher end places, is that we do a weekend lunch. This will allow those with budgetary constraints, or hesitation with regards to the value of the menu to come and enjoy as well.

I'm in the latter category, I've little interest to be disappointed in a meal at 100+quid a head.. it's happened many a time before, and usually when the dishes have 32ingredients per.

2012 May 31
I would love to see a mixture of both. New places and old need our support but that's my two cents... Maybe if we use that excel spreadsheet it would be a good way of gaudging people's interests.

Ron Eade and Mike McCracken had a dinner club going for awhile and their mandate was to support local businesses. Sorta like what we're doing I guess?

2012 May 31
Link to Spreadsheet is here, everyone can edit. Please do! Any formatting or content input is very much welcome.

I won't be maintaining this, this is a community resource.

Monthly Ottawa Foodies Adventures 2012

Link below
goo.gl/PhHAa

Restaurants to date

1 Petit Bill's
2 Le Cordon Bleu Signature
3 Chez Fatima
4 Ju Yiang Yuan
5 Zen Kitchen
6 YKO BBQ

2012 May 31
HFF count me in for Zen Kitchen. I can't convince any of my friends to go there.

2012 May 31
@blubarry.. but it tastes like chicken??? :)

2012 May 31
The dishcrawl sounds interesting...

This would be great for any of the following:
1. Byward market
2. Wellington
3. Elgin

2012 May 31
+1 for Dishcrawl.

Zen would be interesting too.

2012 May 31
So 4-5 possible areas for dishcrawls:

1. Byward Market (Murray Street, etc.)
2. Somerset (Zen Kitchen, etc.)
3. Wellington (Petit Bill, etc.)
4. East End (car required to crawl)
5. Elgin

2012 May 31
I would be interested also as I am sure my foodie daughter would be-as long as I can get there by car with easy parking--I consider myself an ottawa foodie but I do live 25 km north of Kanata...my address is Ottawa! Depending on the day lunch or dinner would be an option. I eat pretty much everything except msg.

2012 Jun 1
+1 for dishcrawls. I am willing to go anywhere on a bus route.

2012 Jun 1
Dish crawl would be interesting

I think we should add Gezellig (Steve Becktas new place)to the list when it opens.

2012 Jun 1
+ 1 for dishcrawl, they are super fun and yummy:)

For logistics there might be 3 options
1 wait for the next dishcrawl posting in Ottawa
2 place a request for a private dishcrawl
3 schedule reservations at 3-5 restaurants and order separate dishes, sampler plates or prix fixe

2012 Jun 1
I would think if there was a group of 20-odd people, restos would be happy to help with a dish crawl, particularly the kind of restaurants that OF would target

2012 Jun 1
Checked out the dishcrawl website and it seems that last event was back in Feb.

Thinking about this with the comment of some that prefer more moderate pricing in OF get together. Could we do say 4 stops in a dishcrawl with maybe 2 moderate places and 2 nicer places so for those on a tighter budget and can do part of crawl?

2012 Jun 1
A poutine crawl was organized a couple of years ago. It was a one shot deal to raise money for cancer research. Our dishcrawl doesn't have to focus on one type of food or to be a fundraiser but the stops they visited might give us some ideas: Forum - Poutine Crawl

2012 Jun 2
How about scheduling a few foodie events with dates/time throughout the summer(e.g. Brunch, dinners, lunch, rest/dish crawls, pot lucks, BBQ) with all the suggestions posted above it looks like there's quite a few possible events to enjoy:)
All the restaurant suggestions sounded great so for each a date time could be suggested and for the resto crawls we could do few rounds to check out all the great locations and suggest a parcours for planning purpose we could aim for a July crawl (to have enough time to plan for it) and do restos in June?
What does everyone think?
I liked the suggestion of Fatima, never tried it and they have a show on Friday and Saturday
Zen garden is also a neat spot and love KhaoThai:)

2012 Jun 2
Let's wait for Zen until end of summer/harvest time. If money is an issue, the brunch menu also offers lunch on the weekends.

2012 Jun 2
So how about a restaurant for June and dishcrawl for July?

We can also see if there is enough interest for a potluck this year since the one last fall was postponed.

Considering the spring lobster season for PEI runs to end of June, would other OFs want to do Petit Bill in the next 2 weeks for lobster rolls and lobster poutine? It is easier to arrange since Terry already said to let him know if some of us go there for the requested lobster rolls.

2012 Jun 2
For dishcrawl, can we have a vote on which area to crawl through ?

1. Byward Market (Murray Street, etc.)
2. Somerset (Zen Kitchen, etc.)
3. Wellington (Petit Bill, etc.)
4. East End (car may be required to crawl)
5. Elgin

2012 Jun 2
Added for the ideal of Petit Bill for lobster roll, etc. in June.

Maybe we can try to work out some of the logistics challenges for a dish crawl by doing food there and dessert in another place? Then it could be used as a learning experience to plan a real dish crawl :D

Also this could be a lower/variable priced event after The Izakaya.

2012 Jun 2
I'd go for lobster rolls too in june good idea:)

For location maybe the byward market,Elgin and Wellington would be the easiest for access (bus/parking) and walking distance plus they all have great variety. Reservations could be booked 30-45 minutes apart depending on distance and stay in each place?

2012 Jun 2
If we end up doing Petit Bill for Lobster roll June, then Wellington should not be first choice for the dish crawl if we do that in July.

I think to be fair and to keep it fresh, we should try for variety in terms of location, price point, type of food, etc.

2012 Jun 2

Based on the suggestions and conversation string

How about booking 3-5 food events at restos for June accommodating different price ranges?

Restaurant/dishcrawl maybe downtown or Elgin in July?
-list potential options for stops?

Zen garden later in the summer?

2012 Jun 3
HFF,

When you say harvest to go to Zen do you mean Septish?

Who else is willing to organize a OF do?

2012 Jun 3
I liked Isabelle's suggestion of Chez Fatima, I'd love to try it on Friday June 15 or 22 ~ 6:30 or 7:00. If there is interest and tables available I don't mind looking into it:)

2012 Jun 3
What we've done in the past, is to post a poll with date, time, place and people vote for what works best for them.

2012 Jun 3
Anyone interested to do lobster roll at Petit Bill this week?

Thinking of heading there Tuesday or Wednesday.

2012 Jun 3
Really good ideas being throwned around however we should fix one event and go from there.

Wednesdays & Thursdays would be ideal. Can't really do weekends for my part.

End on June for lobster sounds interesting too.

I would be interested in a Dishcrawl on Somerset and Elgin but again let's get a poll started for the first event.

2012 Jun 3
okay there are now 19 restaurants on the Ottawa Foodies monthly dinner document but seems the top 3 of interest so far for the are:

1. Petit Bill's Bistro for Lobster Rolls, etc.
2. Chez Fatima for dinner
3. Zen Garden
.. add your own

So please

I) vote for the venue of the next event
II) state preference for day of week and
III) state preference for
week 1 June 4-10
week 2 June 11-17
week 3 June 18-24
week 4 June 25-30

2012 Jun 3
Here's where the Ottawa Foodies Monthly list is. I pinged Freshfoodie to update FoodTravels post but no word yet.

goo.gl/PhHAa

Below is the list, the above link has more details for each place, and is a community resource for all to edit/modify.

If we've narrowed it down to a couple places. We should do that doodle thing to vote, and then again to schedule times.. who set that up last go?

Petit Bill's
Le Cordon Bleu Signature
Chez Fatima
Ju Xiang Yuan
Zen Kitchen
YKO BBQ
Murray Street
Chu Shing
Le Saint O
Chateau Laurier
Fraser Cafe
Mariposa Farms
Dishcrawl
Khao Thai
Hintonburg Public House
SmoQue Shack
Play Food and Wine
Rice Pea
Mia's Indian Cuisine

2012 Jun 3
Dishcrawl would take a bit more organizing perhaps July or later in the summer?

2012 Jun 3
Ps: Whalesbone oyster festival is on June 24, that could be an option.

2012 Jun 3
Whoa, I'd do the oyster festival. Though it'd be pricey no? Or is it the season and reasonable?

I've had a few lobster rolls.. and in my experience, it's been lobster, in a bun with mayo.. which was a big MEH. I didn't quite grasp the hopla?

I'd much prefer warm lobster in an amazingly fresh bun with butter.. mmmm

2012 Jun 4
There are different kinds of lobster rolls. I also much prefer the one with lobster meat and butter in a bun. Nothing fancy bread-wise... a hot dog bun gets the job done.

2012 Jun 4
PB, I also found them to be silly in comparison to the price of a lobster. I remember in Alma, we paid 12-14bucks for a roll.. when we'd paid 20 for a whole lobster! 100meters away. and they gave us buns and butter with it.. ??

2012 Jun 4
Not to take over the thread talking solely about lobster rolls, but Ravi is right. I grew up in that area and the price has gone nuts. A lobster roll is chopped lobster meat, a bit of seasoning, some chopped celery and mayo. You might put in a bit of cilantro or curry if you're feeling crazy.

For best results, it is served on a hot dog bun that was buttered and grilled on a flat-top.

There are other styles, but this is the way I remember them. Oh, and they're cheap. Hell, you can get them at McDonald's there.

Here, I stay away. That's just me.

2012 Jun 4
it depends where you get the lobters from...some restaurants will put a whole lobster in the bun...i agree that most people would prefer just getting the lobster itself on a plate but getting a real lobster roll jammed with 1lb of lobster is delicious.

2012 Jun 4
I'm keen on going for a lobster roll. Ravi I think PB&A set up the doodle thing for our last meetup. Anyone familiar with doodle or survey monkey?... I agree we should set up the next 3 or 4 meetups sooner rather than later.

2012 Jun 4
I also want to try the lobster poutine lol..

2012 Jun 4
I set up a survey monkey account for this. Anyone can use it. It's very easy to set up surveys

User name: OttawaFoodies
password: freshfoodie ;0

www.surveymonkey.com/home/

2012 Jun 4
I probably won't be coming to the June outing but whoever's taking charge can just go to www.doodle.com and click on schedule meeting. Then just post the link for the interested parties to add their availabilities.

2012 Jun 6
I liked Isabelle's suggestion of Morrocan dinner, are there foodies interested in going to chez Fatima on Thursday june 14 or Friday June 22 ~ 6:30-7:00?
The resto is located @ 125 promenade du portage
See reviews:
Chez Fatima

Here is a doodle event pole for those that may be interested in going
www.doodle.com

Cheers!

2012 Jun 7
I filled the pole out already. If anyone is even remotely interested in Moroccan cuisine I can highly recommend Chez Fatima.

2012 Jun 8
There's a table reserved for Thursday June 14 @ 6:30pm Chez Fatima, so far 4 people are interested in going. Please inform by Tuesday if you can make it to Chez Fatima to update the reservation if need be:)

2012 Jun 8
Alo alo, Can you add two to the res? I'll be attending with my +1

2012 Jun 8
No problem:) The list so far is a total of 7 people

Pasta lover
Hungry Hungry Hippo
Little Foodista + 1
rizak
Ravi +1

The reservation was updated to 10 people if more people wish to join:)

2012 Jun 8
That's interesting. Someone else is using my name.
I never put my name on that list. Still, I'll edit it to read properly.
Oh, well. It sounds like fun anyway, so I guess I'll just go. I'll have to see if the Dragonlady wants to attend.

2012 Jun 9
Hi

Is it possible to add 2 more people?...my husband and I would like to attend if possible.

Thanks!

2012 Jun 10
Would it be possible to add one more? I would also like to attend if possible.

2012 Jun 10

Hello, here is the updated list for Morrocan dinner Chez Fatima Thursday June 14 @ 6:30

Pasta lover
Hungry Hungry Hippo
Little Foodista + 1
rizak ?
Ravi +1
Artemis + 1
Odysseus

Cheers!

2012 Jun 11
Can you please add me to the Fatima reservation? I just returned from a trip, and I'd like to go, of course, as I suggested the place ;-)

2012 Jun 11
Sorry, we can't make it, so I removed the entry.

2012 Jun 11

Welcome back Isabelle and thanks for suggesting the resto:) Your name was added. Rizak, thank you for the update.

Here is the current list:

Pasta lover
Hungry Hungry Hippo
Little Foodista + 1
Ravi +1
Artemis + 1
Odysseus
Isabelle

Reservation for table of 10 Chez Fatima Thursday June 14 @ 6:30
located at 125, promenade du Portage

Cheers!

2012 Jun 12
The reservation was updated to 14 people so there is room for those who added their name to the doodle list yesterday if you wish to join
Triple D + 1 ?
WC ?

2012 Jun 12
Sorry i cant make it to this one.

2012 Jun 13
Can't make it out, sadly, but one of these days I will! I promise.

2012 Jun 13
It looks like I'm going to have to cancel since something came up at the last minute. I'll try again for the next meetup.

2012 Jun 13
Thanks for the update:) The reservation was updated accordingly.

For those joining see you tomorrow:)

2012 Jun 14
headed out there shortly. =D

2012 Jun 14
Hope you guys have a good time.. Sorry leaving for Toronto early am so cannot come out to play lol..

Once I figure out my travellng schedule, will try to organize something..

Anyone want to help organize the dishcrawl for July ?

2012 Jun 14
We had a really nice evening. It was great to meet other Ottawa Foodies. Thanks to Little foodista for organizing. Hope we can do it again sometime.

2012 Jun 14
Enjoyed the company. Food not so much. +1 and I wouldn't return. At least for the buffet menu. The fruit salad and banana bread in their defence was great. The lamb, and chicken had no real taste, the meatballs were ok.

Lot's of variety in terms of dishes, probably 6 mains. 3 nonveg, and 3 veg.

Rice, and couscous good. Salads were plentiful and decent as well.

Service was good, though if you're English it's a rougher go communicating.

Nice decor, and over ambience. Parking was a bit of a pain, had to pay 5$.

7 foodies showed, well 7 people total. I believe 2 were +1s.

Some interesting stuff discussed.

-Art Crawl in Hintonburg, wander the galleries and drink wine while scoffing cheese.
-Royal Oak has garlicy possibly yummy lobster rolls at the moment
-Details of previous food crawls that have occurred locally. Sound really fun, dessert crawl sounded amazing lol. Let's do one!

On that note. Shall we start the July 2012 foodie dinner ? We'll keep the same doc in it. And work on the food crawl?

The Restaurant List active document is here: goo.gl/PhHAa

2012 Jun 14
For those that were able to thanks for joining:) and thanks again Isabelle for the suggestion:) it was fun to try a new place, the service was friendly I especially liked the variety of colourful fresh salad dishes, the anis bread and the couscous dishes:) it was nice meeting everyone too:)

Cheers!

2012 Jun 14
It was nice to meet you all, thanks for handling the reservations Little foodista!

The evening buffet is not very different from the lunch buffet (good food, but nothing too adventurous), but I really enjoyed the nice pastillas the kitchen kindly sent us (free of charge!). I don't usually put cinnamon on my chicken, but I do love cinnamon, and it worked for me.

I think the "à la carte" menu is supposed to be the better stuff, but everyone seemed to be a bit in a hurry (after waiting a while for the few who signed up but didn't show up) and went for the buffet, so I followed. I still ended up leaving half an hour after everyone else, after taking the time to enjoy some mint tea... morrocan meals are supposed to take a long time ;-p

Too bad Fatima wasn't there though, that place is more "alive" when the owner is in.

2012 Jun 15
Anyone want to do petit bill bistro for lobster roll or lobster poutine on june 26 or june 27 ( tues or wed)

2012 Jun 15
Ya I'm down.

2012 Jun 25
Sorry guys with my work laptop going out of commission due to overheating motherboard, it has been a little disruptive and had not had much time to plan stuff.

I am thinking about trying to do something this week if anyone else is interested. Thinking of either Petit Bill's for Lobster Poutine / Lobster rolls or trying out the pop up Mello (not sure how and if one can make reservation)..

Thinking more Wed 27 then Tues 26.. Anyone else interested?

2012 Jun 26
FoodTravel I would be interested in both but today is the 26th. It might be a little short notice for some?-;) Would you consider moving it to next week?...

2012 Jun 26
heading to the states later this week.. provided I can get my computer Wed or early Thurs.

2012 Jun 27
Will be out and about so might try Mellos popup at 290 Dalhousie around 6:30. got through on the phone And they do not take reservations and suggesr one sitting around 6 6:30 and another sitting around 8 8:30

2012 Jun 29
Okay been experiencing some technical issues that make work much harder going since half my brain (laptop) had been in for repairs replacing overheating motherboard. About to leave for a trip but should be back in about a week.

Have not seen anything on dishcrawl website for Ottawa and it seem to have died after the last one in Feb...

I wanted to gauge if there is enough interest to do a dishcrawl maybe later in July. Seems more interest are in Byward market or wellington area. I am willing to help organizing it if there are enough interest and maybe another person to help make a few calls.

We should probably start a July thread soon to.