using pizza flour? [General]

2010 Aug 24
does anyone use pizza flour? i just bought some (divella pizza flour tipo 00) but i am not sure how to incorporate it into my dough recipe. do i just measure it cup for cup and keep other ingredients the same? thanks.

2010 Aug 24
The dough my SO made was phenomenal, contained a mix of OO semolina and AP flour, want the recipe? It made an amazing thin crust dough.

2010 Aug 24
The best I have made is a no-roll pizza dough that was a test recipe sent to me by Cooks Illustrated. It uses unbleached all purpose. It is crispy and has an amazing chew. Not sure if they ever published it.

Chimichimi shall we open a thread and share our recipes?

2010 Aug 24
What is special about "pizza" flour?

2010 Aug 24
Higher semolina content or perhaps strictly durum flour.

2010 Aug 24
It is a higher gluten content. Around 13% I think.

2010 Aug 24
I have been making pizzas lately with unbleached bread flour and adding a teaspoon of glutin flour. Seems to work pretty good.

2010 Aug 24
i recently had a homemade pizza made from this flour and it was great, very thin and crispy, a much different texture than all purpose (which i normally use). the person who made it just replaced the pizza flour for all purpose, but i am wondering if that is correct. i also usually measure by weight and the recipe they gave me was by cups. i'd like a traditional dough recipe, by weight to try out the flour.

mybluestar, i'd love to try your cook's illustrated dough recipe too!

this is what i found on the difference between italian and american flours.

>>
The Italians and Americans use different terms to describe their flours, which can cause some confusion. While the American baker is accustomed to seeing gluten % on the flour package, the Italian producers often don't publish gluten, but rather use Tipo 0 and Tipo 00 to describe how finely the flour is milled. Tipo 00, which is more fine, can be used to make different types of bread, cookies and pastries -- as well as pizza. In fact, the glutting % in Tipo 00 flour ranges from 6% -12%, and it can be used for everything form biscotti, to ciabatta, to pugliese to pizza.

One misunderstanding is that Tipo 00 is pizza flour -- which is not right. If you are looking for Italian Tipo 00 flour for pizza, make sure you find Tipo 00 pizza flour, not pastry flour, which can be very light light and have gluten as low as 5%-7%.

>>
i also found this link:
www.practicallyedible.com

2010 Aug 24
chimi - i'd love your recipe too.

2010 Aug 26
chimi could you post the recipe here?

2013 Jan 12
Can anyone tell me where on earth I can find this bloody flour in the Ottawa region? I can't find any anywhere.

Cheers and thank you!

2013 Jan 12
Italian specialty stores. Also Parma Ravioli usually has it. I have bought mine from Luciano's at Preston and Somerset. You could also try La Bottega or Nicastro's. it comes in a small bag, usually enough to make 2 pizzas.

2013 Jan 12
I use the tipo 00 flour all the time for pizza dough. My recipe however is from Jamie Oliver's "Jamie at home". The recipe I make is enough for 8 large very thin crust pizzas. I'll make a batch of dough and divide it up so that the dough (unrisen) that is not used that night goes in the freezer for the month's source. It is very tasty. Our family (4 healthy appetites) usually has homemade pizza on Friday nights and so this lasts for 4 weeks. I take it out of the freezer and place it in the fridge the night before so it gets a slow rise in the fridge by the afternoon of the pizza dinner.

Nicastro's on Merivale carries 5 kg bags and will last a while. The recipe I use takes 7 cups of flour at a time (wish the recipe was by weight, but it works very well). I've found that the flour is very fine compared to regular Canadian milling. The 5 kg bag likely makes about 24 to 32 pizzas.

2013 Jan 14
I really encourage anyone interested in pizza to check out Peter Reinhart's site:
www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/
I have taken a pizza making course from him at King Arthur Flour in Vermont. Fantastic information, recipes etc. Check it out!

2013 Jan 18
while talking about pizza flour....Does anyone have a good whole wheat flour and dough recipe? the one's I've had just don't measure up.

2013 Jan 18
My recipe works well

ottawafoodies.com

2013 Jan 18
I like my recipe better than his, and so do the kids.. ;)

refashionista.wordpress.com