home made mayo [Recipes]

2010 Apr 12
Who makes their own?
What's your recipe?

I've just tried it and am amazed at the results! But I have a concern with using this for example on kids' sandwiches for school, where it will sit 3 or 4 hours unrefrigerated.

I tried another batch and slowly brought it up to pasteurization temp but it broke about 150F. I suspect if I were more careful and only went to 140F I'd be OK - and hold it for 5 minutes. Anyone do this?

Also looking for recipes for non-egg-based mayo, like with tofu. Anyone have a good one? Then I would not have to worry about it.

Here is my basic recipe :
- 1 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pickling vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp mustard powder
- pinch of paprika

I tried it first on high speed whisk in the kitchen aid and it would not turn into mayo - I let it go really long. Then I moved it to the blender and it took a few minutes and suddenly "splat" - it was mayo. The next batch I did on the stove with a hand blender and it was mayo in about 5 seconds!

2010 Apr 13
your own mayo...zym I commend you! IS there anything you don't make?

2010 Apr 13
Here is the recipe I learned from my French mother in law :

1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
oil

Whisk the egg yolk with the dijon mustard, add oil slowly while whisking until you get the proper consistency. (Very precise measurements, I know...)

I'm not sure heating the mayo would do much to help it stay safe longer at room temperature. I don't think you can keep cooked eggs safely at room temperature. Some people heat the eggs before making mayo or meringue, but it's because they are worried about eating raw eggs (I'm not, eggs are pretty safe in Canada with all the inspections they have).

I would just put the lunch in an insulated bag with an ice pack or frozen water bottle.

As for making mayo without eggs, some kind of gelling agent might give you a result vaguely similar to mayo, but the egg yolk is essential to form an emulsion.

2010 Apr 13
The heating was to pasteurise - eliminate the risk of salmonella from the raw eggs. I'm going to try it again but in a double boiler this time - pretty sure that will work fine.

Here is a recipe a friend gave me - says he uses it all the time. But I have not tried it yet - will try it out likely tonight.

Veganaise

6 oz (about 3/4 c) extra firm silken tofu
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp cider vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp sea salt (+ more to taste)
pinch of ground turmeric (optional)

2010 Apr 13
I have worked hard to perfect fresh mayo technique; I learned similar approach that Isabelle has posted. One thing that I would add is that a room temperature egg yolk helps the emulsion. Super fresh egg also seems to really help, and I suppose is also safer. I also find that a wooden spoon works better than a whisk for me. I roll a wet dishtowel into a cylinder on the counter and put a mixing bowl in the middle to keep it stable. Add a dollop of dijon to the room temp egg yolk. Slowly, drop by drop add the oil, until emulsion forms, once you have a noticeable thickening, you can start to add oil in a thin stream. Decanter with a good spout helps for this.

Add your garlic (aioli) lemon juice or harissa (a bit of a cheat for rouille) at the end when you have kick-ass thickness that is pretty stable.

Good luck with pastuerization, although I doubt emulsion will hold, homemade mayo eventually will return to a separated vinegrette if left in a warm place. Barely cooking egg yolk over double boiler and adding emulsified fat will result in a bit of Bearnaise sauce, still delicious.

2010 Apr 13
zymurgist Are you using the mayo as a binding agent or as a spread? If you are using it as a binding agent the veganaise your friend recommended sounds good and apparently puréed beans will work in a pinch although I haven't tried it myself yet. If you are using it as a spread there are other alternatives like tahini or ajvar depending on what you are putting in your sandwiches. Just my two cents...

2010 Apr 13
I made my own mayo the last time I made steak frites, and it was like magic.

I derived it from a recipe I tore out of an old Bon Appétit:

1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste at the end
3/4 cup canola oil

I mixed the yolk, lemon juice, mustard, and salt in first, and then whisked the bejeezus out of it while adding the canola oil (drop by drop for about the first 1/4 cup, and then in a bit more of a stream).

It was a sight to behold: there's a creamy, slumped-over consistency to home-made mayo that you can't get out of a jar. And it tasted heavenly.

Next stop: béarnaise.

2010 Apr 13
pasta lover - I have not made it yet so cannot say, but my friend uses it as a spread and says he feeds it to guests and they love it - and he never tells them the difference.

2010 Apr 13
I make a "soyannaise", like zymurgist's vegenaise regularly. I like it just fine but it really doesn't taste (or feel) like mayonnaise. Healthier though.

2010 Apr 18
Another experiment with the double boiler - got it up to 150F just fine but as soon as I started it beat it, it broke.

So next experiment will be to bring it up to 150F, then let it cool, then beat it. I think that should work.

2010 Apr 18
If your worried about uncooked eggs in your mayo. COOK your eggs before. Remove the yolks, pop them in a blender with what ever else makes you tick and emulsify with oil of your choice.

2010 Apr 18
exactly da butcher. i have used cooked egg yolks for many things. once pureed with other liquids, i do not notice a difference.

2010 Apr 18
Really? Interesting ...

2010 Apr 18
you need to make sure the yolk is not overcooked. once it is overcooked - think greenish tinge around the edges, i find it too hard to mix in.

2010 Apr 19
using hard boiled yolks "mayo style" is called a sauce gribiche.

2010 Apr 19
I looked for more data on actual risks associated with raw eggs (as I have many recipes using them), and found some research done in 2002. It found that 1 in 30 000 commercial eggs in the US was contaminated with salmonella. So even at two raw eggs a day, you would eat a contaminated one every 40 years or so. I think Canadian eggs are likely similar.

If you (or someone you are cooking for) is immuno-defficient or likely to get killed if they get salmonella, then it is certainly worth taking precautions. For reasonably healthy people, though, it doesn't seem all that necessary.

Each is free to decide what level of risk they are willing to live with, of course...

2010 Apr 19
I'm not the least bit worried for my own health, or even for the in-house consumption by my family. As mentioned above, the only concern is having it sit on a sandwich for 3 or 4 hours unrefridgerated. For my kids. That would not worry me for me.