The Restaurant Adventures of Caroline and Dave [General]

2010 Jan 4
It looks like Canadian chefs are now wading into the tv show circuit-;) In addition to Lynne Crawford who is premiering her own show this week W network will be broadcasting The Restaurant Adventures of Caroline and Dave. The show follows our own Caroline Ishii and Dave Loan in the months leading up to the opening of ZenKitchen: www.wnetwork.com

2010 Jan 7
Anyone catch the first two episodes ? Last night at 9pm on The Women's Network and repeated this weekend on the same network.

I kinda liked it.

Local ... and real.

Sorta like an episode of "Opening Soon" but stretched out with much more detail.

Strange how they missed the rotting deck/veranda. I certainly noticed it a few summers ago as I walked by. I said to myself "Yeesh ! Better not have two many people on that deck at once ... she'll cave in for sure !".

Was glad to see them NOT take the space available on Preston where the Preston Glass 'Stip Mall' was.

From my perspective, I think Dave and Caroline have done well and will continue to do well because of their complimentry personalities. I can only imagine disaster if they had the same personality. Either 2 'Dave types' would have them both locked into a fight to the death or 2 'Carolines types' would have them both seeking therapy for the rest of their lives. I think Zen speaks of harmony achived through balance. Case in point at the ZEN Kitchen !

For further insight to this interesting (and remarkable) couple see Ron Eades interview with them that took place recently. Link here --- > communities.canada.com <---

2010 Jan 7
I don't have the women's network... but I did PVR a show on food network called "Chopped".

Guess I might have to switch some of my pick 5 chanels...

2010 Jan 7
My bride and I caught it last night and I quite enjoyed both episodes. Even with two strong personalities and all of the issues they had to deal with Caroline and Dave came across as quite likeable and we cheered for them. I wrote the time and day on the calendar to try and catch it next week and may try to watch it through all 13 episodes as it was watchable and enjoyable (unlike the likes of some Restaurant Makeover shows,...).

2010 Jan 7
I liked it, but I might be biased.

2010 Jan 8
Kombu - since you starred in this show, do you have any thoughts on it that fall outside of the Ron Eade interview or the show itself that you'd want to contribute here to Ottawafoodies?

2010 Jan 8
Very engaging show...a bit like popcorn or potato chips, you want more!

Plus it seemed more sincere and honest than the other shows.
We also learned alot about the behind the scenes of setting up a restaurant.

Kombu, good luck with your adventure and well down!

2010 Jan 8
I watched the 2nd half hour and really enjoyed it. Caroline and Dave have great personalities so the show works. Some segments seemed a bit fake (waiting for luggage at the airport while Caroline's mind wanders as Dave tries to catch her up on the latest drama) but enjoyable nonetheless.

I love that it's local and having recently chosen to get back on a vegan-ish diet, I like knowing their resto is there for me to try. I feel that C&D are now local celebs. Even though Zen Kitchen has been open for several months already, I wish them all the best!

2010 Jan 8
Chimi, I'm not sure what I can add. I think it's important to note that we were the subjects of this program (kind of like lab rats, or perhaps a stoneage tribe living in the remotest Amazon), but had no control over the content - what gets used, what got cut, or the goofy music that's used.

I'm happy to answer any questions, though I should note that I'm heading to a hot beach tomorrow and will be offline for the next 7 days.
Cheers,
Dave

2010 Jan 12
I believe it is the final episode for the season that partially is filmed at our little bistro...(Petit Bill's)

I wasn't there, but I hear things went well...

Terry

2010 Jan 22
A building inspector came to ZenKitchen today following up on a complaint that someone had seen on TV that we were operating without a proper ceiling in the kitchen. Apparently, they didn't realize that the episode they had just watched was filmed over 6 months ago and that the ceiling was installed before we opened for business!

2010 Jan 23
Kombu - Apologies buddy, but I am laughing thru this one... Reality Tv Fans "should" realize that everything May not be exactly as shown, LOL.

But then again as they say there's a sucker born every minute.

Too funny!

2010 Jan 24
Zen Kitchen's menu for Taste of Winterlude looks interesting--it is $35 with optional wine pairings for $18. I've been wanting to try it so this may prompt me to make my reservation.

2010 Jan 24
Anyone have a contact for the people who produced this show? Was it just the W Network? Or someone else who sold it to W?

2010 Jan 24
Zym:

Mountain Road Productions

www.mountainroad.ca

Maybe I should pitch them my Trailer Park Gourment Show idea.

I would like to do a Frugal Gourmet crossed with the Trailer Park Boys kinda thing.

I'd put on me Cape Breton accent really 'tick and could show viewers how to eat on the cheap.

Episodes could include:

Shopping at stinky ethnic food stores to save money.

How to forage in the wild for mushrooms, mussles, dandylions for wine and also dumpster diving at fine restaurants.

Gourmet ways to cook ramen noodles.

How to dress and BBQ roadkill.

How to raid a garden.

A guest appearance by Zymurgist to illustrate the fine art of canning.

and a guest appearance from Da Butcher to do some home charcuterie.

Could be fun.

What do Ottawa Foodies think of my Trailer Park Gourmet Food Show ?

2010 Jan 25
you go CC - I'm all in. Feel free to use my place if you want to catch some racoon, skunk, or deer off the deck.

2013 Mar 4
I know this is a 3 year old topic... but is there a chance that anyone has a copy of this on tape, DVD or their computer or something?

I am doing a project on ZenKitchen for my class at Algonquin... I contacted the production company but I am apparently out of luck on that end.

Thanks!

2013 Mar 9
I contacted Caroline at ZenKitchen and they did not have a copy and suggested the production company but had not had time to follow up. Would be interested too.