substitute maple syrup for brown sugar? [General]

2009 Oct 30
i am planning to make banana buttermilk cupcakes and the recipe calls for 3/4 cup packed brown sugar. could i substitute maple syrup for the sugar? i have never tried using maple syrup in place of sugar and i am only considering it for one person's dietary request. if it is really going to change the chemistry in the cake, i won't bother.

2009 Oct 30
I don't know too much about baking, but wouldn't using maple sugar be better? I would think that using maple syrup could throw off the liquidity of the batter. Either that, or don't use sugar and liberally drown your pancake in such nectar after the fact :)

2009 Oct 30
i've never bought, or looked for maple sugar before. is there anything added to it to make it sugar?

i'm making cupcakes, not pancakes.

2009 Oct 30
hipfunkyfun There is nothing added to the syrup to make it sugar - the sugar is a result of the cooking process. A better explanation is here: en.wikipedia.org

I don't see why you can't substitute the brown sugar with maple sugar. I usually buy maple sugar at the Byward Market (to sprinkle on my oatmeal) but you could probably find it at Parkdale as well.

2009 Oct 30
Ooops, my bad. Well, I'll stand by my original idea of maple sugar and pretend I didn't say the latter. Like Pasta Lover said, essentially you get maple sugar when all the water has evaporated from maple syrup. I learned this at the sugar shack!

2009 Oct 30
HipFunkyFun - OK, I pulled out my copy of Joy of Cooking and I offer the following:

Pg 1044 - From the Substitutions Table
Brown Sugar - No substitutes listed for liquid alternatives.

Pg 995 - Know Your Ingredients (Maple Syrup)

"To substitute Maple Syrup for Sugar in COOKING, generally use only 3/4 Cup for each Cup of Sugar"

"To substitute Maple Syrup for Sugar in BAKING, use the same proportions, but reduce the other liquid called for by about 3 Tablespoons for every Cup of Syrup substituted."

"One Pint of Maple Syrup has the same sweetening power as 1 Pound of Maple Sugar."

2009 Oct 30
Maple syrup is sweeter than sugar.
Usually the heartier flavourd grades do better as a flavoring agent in baked goods,delicately flavored syrups are fine for pancakes or glazes,but the mild maple flavour does not come through as a flavoring agent in cakes and breads.
So if you have fancy grade maple syrup, save it for pancake :)
Maple sugar is created when maple syrup has boiled long enough to force the sucrose to crystalize as the syrup cools.

Baking chemistry, granulated sugar whipped together with egg or fat will produce
aeration.(fluffy cakeyou can make) So your cupcake by using maple syrup can be dense and heavy.

If you have molasses and granulated sugar, you can make brown sugar by mixing them. If you only have granulated sugar, make caramel and mix it with sugar.
(this is how sugar factories make brown sugar)
To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tablespoons molasses.

2009 Oct 30
I don't know why people don't drink maple sap. I tried it, tapping trees in my backyard, and it's great. I think you have to boil down the sap between 1/40 to 1/70 to make syrup. A liter of syrup sells for something like $15. But a liter of bottled water sells for $2. You can probably bottle the sap and sell it for more than bottled water. So that's like $140 for the equivalent sap that would make $15 worth of syrup, not even counting the energy costs to boil it down.

2009 Oct 31
Fultons Pancake House and Sugar Bush in Pakenham sells maple sap. I bought some on my last trip out and it was very nice! It's 5.99 for a bottle (500 ml I think). Here is the info:

www.fultons.ca

They also sell "maple nectar" - lightly reduced maple sap - and are marketing it as a non-alcoholic after dinner beverage. I got that too and it was delightful.

Both products took them many years to develop - from the concept to the design of the bottles, and the marketing. It doesn't seem like something that would be too difficult to do, but it may entail changing the boiling down and purification equipment around... One thing - don't drink too much of that sap as it's a diuretic!

I have to confess though, I snuck a few handfuls of sap out of one of the buckets hanging on a tree, and it tasted even better than the essence or the nectar!!

2009 Oct 31
I tapped some of my trees last spring and got lots . . . you know when you use buckets you can taste the sap from each tree and some trees are definitely sweeter, and each tree has a unique taste. When they use plastic tubing to tap the trees it's all mixed together, the superb with the average . . .

Someone told me the sap may not be too clean. It's supposed to be sterile in the tree, but maybe it can get contaminated in the bucket. You may want to boil it. Just bring it to a boil and then cool it and that should be fine.

For commercial production, since sap is very clear, I was thinking the way to do it before bottling would be sterilization by UV light, or extreme high pressure (used now on meats).