ISO: Tortilla press? [General]

2009 Sep 25
Where would be a good place in Ottawa to go find a tortilla press? I don't need anything fancy or expense: simple and cheap preferred!

(Sorry for all the "In Search Of" posts from me lately... but you people are a fantastic source of foodie information! Thank you so much for all your help!)

2009 Sep 25
La Tienda next to La Cubana on Merivale Road. When I was there last there was two different types. The one I bought have the brand name "Victoria" and is made of cast iron - hot tinned. Cost 22$. It works well enough but I still find its just as easy rolling out your dough for tortillas/ tacos and whatnot.

The cheaper version was a lot lighter and I would probably stay away from that.

2009 Sep 25
Most Muslim grocers have them.

2009 Sep 25
La Tiendita has them and the Latin Grocer in Vanier did as well once upon a time - however, I use a silicone baking sheet folded in half with the masa dough in the middle, place it on a flat surface and press down (firmly) on the doughball with a flat-bottomed pan. Works just as well and cost me nothing because I already had the materials.

2009 Sep 25
Thanks for the tip chimi. I was going to pick up one of these gadgets myself and had been wondering what I'd do to keep it from sticking. I don't like using parchment paper and the likes because I'm trying to get out of using disposable stuff.

2009 Sep 25
Zym - likewise. Additionally, parchment paper gets pretty banged up during the process, though I have seen some setups of a tortilla press with what appears to be elasticized plastic shower caps covering the top & bottom of the press!

2009 Sep 25
I got mine at the Mercado Latino in Vanier (Montreal rd, right after the bridge), it works great! If you're getting into Lating cooking, the "Mexican REgional Cooking" class at the Ottawa Carleton District School Board www.ocdsb.edu.on.ca is pretty amazing (3 classes and touches on themes/meals) and the teacher was fabulous! She gives great suggestiosn, places to find supplies, and I think she also has her own cooking school or private/group classes.
When you make your tortilla dough (recipe also listed on the MaseCa bag or you can adapt oour own recipe, i.e I like adding some cornmeal for extra corn flavour) then sandwich the dough ball between 2 plastic/ziploc bags and into the tortilla press then cook the pressed dough on a cast iron pan (the Mercado Latino, Benitz and sometimes Loblaws etc... sell them)

2009 Sep 25
If you get a tortilla press, I recommend getting a metal one: Mine is plastic, and it flexes enough that it doesn't do a great job making even tortillas. In addition to the Latino markets, I am pretty sure they have them at C.A. Paradies on Bank St.

2009 Sep 25
If you get a tortilla press, I recommend getting a metal one: Mine is plastic, and it flexes enough that it doesn't do a great job making even tortillas. In addition to the Latino markets, I am pretty sure they have them at C.A. Paradies on Bank St.

As far as preventing sticking, I cut up a Ziploc freezer bag and sandwich the dough between two pieces of the plastic. Strong enough to last for a while, at least.

2009 Sep 27
Mark - you're absolutely right, the plastic ones are garbage. Avoid at all costs.

2009 Oct 28
OK, I've been making tortilla chips for a few months now (the hard, triangular ones) and they are really easy to make, but not really easy to roll out evenly. I now use 2 silpats and roll it out between the two - makes it really easy to do, but not easy to get even.

That of course means that they bake unevenly, and the thinner ones get a bit more on the browner side than I'd like. Even when I'm careful and take out the browner ones and let the rest cook longer.

Will a press let me get it more even so they cook more evenly? I figure I could still cut them into more or less triangles - pie wedges.

I'll pick one up if it will help here, but will pass, if not.

2009 Oct 28
zym, try my method of pressing down on the dough balls with a flat bottomed cast iron pan (with the silpat in between) using even pressure... works for me! but you have to do more pressing this way... maybe it's worth buying a press in your case.

2009 Oct 29
Good idea Chimi - I'll try that first.

2009 Oct 29
Zym, I've used roller guides in the past when baking cookies that I want to be even but the thinnest I've used is 1/8", too thick for corn chips. I use a pair of wood dowels and a flat (not tapered) rolling pin and that works really well. You'd have to find something thinner (metal rulers come to mind; strips of heavy cardboard, plastic, etc.).
Just my thought.

2009 Oct 29
Oh hey Andy, there is a great idea too!!! And I bet part of the problem I am having in the first place is that the damned roller I am using IS tapered!

2009 Nov 3
www.surlatable.com

19.95 stainless steel.....can't go wrong with that

2009 Nov 6
hello,

a few of you mentioned "la tienda". Could you please provide with the address, or approximately where on merivale it is located? thank you!

2009 Nov 6
dasklown - La Tiendita @ 850 Merivale Road (Merivale/Carling near Westgate Mall)

it's attached to the restaurant La Cabana.

2009 Nov 9
Maybe check with Mercado Latino on Montreal Rd.

2009 Nov 10
I bought a very nice one at Mercado Latino last week for 28 bucks...very solid.
They had cheaper ones as well!!

2009 Nov 10
I have the one from Mercado Latino - works great - don't forget the plastic though or it will not be a pleasurable experience ;-)

2009 Nov 10
I used a large Ziplock bag and cut it in half...worked well.
Bought Masa Brosa from Mercado Latino...the owner said it's her favorite one.
Tortillas were fabulous :)

2014 Sep 5
Hi everybody,
I'm looking to buy a 12 inch cast iron tortilla press tomorrow. Does anybody have a suggestion on where to find one? I'm not sure which stores are still open or who is carrying them now. Thanks!

2014 Sep 5
Ma Cuisine has them:

www.macuisineottawa.ca

2014 Sep 6
$17 on amazon.ca

2014 Sep 6
La Tiendita should still stock them.

Most Muslim grocery stores have them, as per above.

2014 Sep 6
Hey Guys,

I'm passing through the city today and I was hoping to cook up some tortillas tomorrow so the internet is 'out'. I've been out of Canada for a long time and much prefer the luxury of shopping in-store anyhow.

I took a quick look on Ma Cuisine but they appear to be aluminum rather than cast iron presses. I only have time to make one stop since I'll have the car loaded up, a dog, and a long drive ahead (especially with construction on the 417!)

I'll be calling Grace in the Kitchen, Ma Cuisine, Kichenalia, La Tiendita (sp?) and Mercado Latino. Any other suggestions? I'm pretty sure Ma Cuisine and Kichenalia only sell aluminum. Gotta be the cast iron. The bigger the better.

I'm coming through from the direction of Arnprior and leaving from the Montreal/Cornwall exit on the 417.

Thanks!

2014 Sep 6
I've seen presses at La Colonia in Vanier, corner of LaFontaine and Richelieu.

2014 Sep 6
I bought mine at Mercado Latino a few years ago for around $20. It is cast iron, tin dipped. I don't think it's 12" though, probably more like 8" (my sister has it right now so can't double check for you.)

2014 Sep 6
has anyone ever seen a 12" tortilla press??? Can't seem to find any online in a quick check.
I don't have one but make my corn tortillas with a rolling pin and plastic sheets; haven't made flour tortillas for years but used a rolling pin for them too - tortilla presses are supposed to be unsuitable for making flour tortillas anyways, so I have read. When making corn tortillas I'm like a slickly oiled machine (or is that a beer-lubricated automaton), rolling 1 while cooking another, one after the other. Might be more relaxing, maybe with more beer, with a press. Thoughts?

Anyways, saw that www.bedbathandbeyond.ca has a 6-1/2" cast iron Patacones tortilla press for 26.99. There are 2 stores in Ottawa. You can sign up for email and get a 20% off coupon.

2014 Sep 6
Some spots that might have them in Ottawa:
Mercado Latino (on Montreal road)
Glebe emporium (upstairs Paderno store, they had tortilla press, not sure what size)
Corazon de maiz (the mini store section next to the wall)

2014 Sep 6
Hey everyone, thanks so much for all of your suggestions! In the end, I went by Grace's in Kanata and bought an 8 inch IMUSA cast iron tortilla press, a 10 inch lodge logic cast iron pan, a double pack of tortilla bowl molds and a bag of maseca. I am so excited for dinner tomorrow night! Thanks again for all of your help. It's great to be home!