Yogourmet yogurt maker? [General]

2009 Aug 26
Hey guys,

I desperately need a Yogourmet yogurt maker (specifically):
www.lyo-san.ca

Anyone have any idea if this is sold anywhere in Ottawa?
Thanks so much!

2009 Aug 26
Why do you need that one so badly? Yoghurt is easy to make by any one of a number of different ways. And even easy to keep at the right temp precisely, provided you have a good thermometer.

Here is a video I did of an extremely precise way of making it, which has the benefit of making it in the sealed jars so you don't open until you are ready to eat it.

2009 Aug 26
Cool vid! Thanks for the link.

I have severe Crohn's Disease and I'm going to try a special diet called the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" as I've been pretty much unresponsive to medication and some Crohnsies have had a lot of success with it. It requires eating yogurt prepared in a very specific way to eliminate all lactose, i.e. maintaining the culture at 100-110F for 24 hours (instead of the four that you do). I've heard of people having really good success with the Yogourmet... if I could find another easy way to do it or another yogurt maker that could handle that, I would be happy to try that instead! Any suggestions?

2009 Aug 26
I've heard of using an electric blanket or something? Try googling that, I think Alton Brown did a demo of it or something.

2009 Aug 26
Hello vorpal,

I found Yogourmet on Ebay. Item location is Ottawa.
cgi.ebay.ca

It is not Yogourmet, but I found different type of yogourt maker.
You can check out product manual
www.eurocuisine.net/

www.goldaskitchen.com
This company is in Mississauga, I buy baking supply from them.

Take care :)

2009 Aug 26
I just googled this and it came up under Kardish. There are several locations in Ottawa, so you could phone them to see if they carry it. Also try Rainbow foods or some of the other health food stores. Good luck finding one and I hope your diet works.

Would your oven be able to hold the temp at 100? Ours does, but I know not all do.

2009 Aug 27
Aisu Kurimu: Love the username :-). Do you study Japanese? Thanks tons for the heads up! Those are some excellent leads!

Gardener Mom: I was definitely hoping to try the oven, seeing as I could give the yogurt a go then without having to commit to buying a new piece of kitchen equipment. Unfortunately, the lowest temp my oven will do is 170F, which is too high :(.

2009 Aug 27
Vorpal, the cooler trick as per my video can do an extremely good job of keeping a constant temperature. But for 24 hours maybe not. Maybe what you could do is that in combination with a fish tank heater in the cooler. Worth an experiment at least.

2009 Aug 27
vorpal: You know what my username means! lol.
I am Japanese :) Not so new to canada, but I am still having hard time writing in English... Though I have no problem speaking & listening in English, writing in English...ahhhhh!! it is so unforgiving:(

My friend use styrofoam icebox when she makes yogurt or Natto (Fermented Soy beans)

2009 Aug 27
i borrowed a donvier yogurt maker from a friend. it has an electronic timer option to set the length of time you want to "cook" the yogurt. you could easily set 24 hrs. it also makes it in individual containers, which is nice for taking to work.

2009 Aug 27
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but don't all electric yogurt makers make yogurt by keeping the milk at about 100-110 degrees? My old one (probably about 30 yr) has no switches, timers, etc.; it just plugs in and keeps it warm til I unplug it, giving me a litre of yogurt every time.

FYI vorpal, the key to making good yogurt is heating the milk to 185F and holding it there for 10 minutes; at least that's what scientific lit. tells me and I haven't gone wrong with a batch since I started doing that. I hope the yogurt helps you out.

Now you have me wondering what happens to the lactose...I've never heard that.

2009 Aug 28
Andy - given that lactose is made of glucose and galactose, I presume that the longer heating time does a more thorough job of breaking it down into its component parts, either through the heat itself or through the bacterial digestion process.

2009 Aug 28
That's right Momo; the bacteria digest the lactose as the milk is converted to yogurt - it seems to take about less than 24 (and up to 36) hours to happen. My micro major seems to have failed me for a few moments last night. =;0)