Soft corn tortillas? [General]

2009 Aug 15
Does anyone know where I can buy soft corn tortillas somewhere near Barrhaven? I remember buying them a couple of years back at Food Basics, but no one seems to have them anymore. I don't understand why??!?!?! Does everyone think tacos come in hard Old El Paso shells?? Sheesh...

Thanks!

2009 Aug 15
might be tough in Barrhaven...most of the big grocery chains just have flour tortillas.

you can find them at most Latin grocers in the city - see the OF listing for corn tortillas here Corn Tortillas

2009 Aug 16
Corn tortillas have disappeared from most large grocery stores for some reason. I guess they are just not popular here. I was just in Syracuse and they have fresh made daily ones not like the ones I used to get here.The latin place on Merivale has them. Your best bet is to get some Ma Se Ca instant corn masa mix and make them yourself. Things are getting harder to get in Ottawa. I like pretzels and now I can't find any Snyders brand thick pretzels the only ones around are Rolled Gold and I do not like them.

2009 Aug 16
They have many varieties at La Tienda, the latin grocer next to La Cabana on Merivale Rd.

2009 Aug 16
HHH - La Tiendita is a good place to buy corn tortillas, or a variety of masa flours to make your own. Maseca is probably the best for this application (as Ken noted), or for making pupusas. The other brands are better for tamale fillings, as they tend to hold more water.

2009 Aug 17
Where is the Latin place on Merivale? I do consider Merivale close so that would be great!

And when I am not 26 weeks pregnant and dealing with a toddler, I will definitely make my own. I just don't have the energy for it now. But definitely something I would like to try!

2009 Aug 17
It is next to/attached to La Cabana restaurant at 848 Merivale Rd. It is closer to Carling Ave than Maitland and on the west side of Merivale in a little strip mall.
You can use the search feature to look for a vendor and it should also come up with the location tag. Although I noticed that La Tienda does not have a listing (likely since attached to the restaurant).

2009 Aug 18
If memory serves, I saw corn tortillas at Produce Depotat Bank/Hunt Club.

2009 Aug 18
Rainbow Foods (Richmond & Carling) carries them in the freezer section. Saw them last week.

2009 Aug 18
As noted above fresh tortilla from maseca cooked on cast Iron Pan is a great option:)and the Maseca keeps well. Loblaws also carries some nice frozen sprouted corn soft tortillas in their frozen organic food section and Produce Depot sometimes has mexican style soft corn tortillas in their bread section

2014 Nov 10
I just moved to Ottawa a little over a month ago after 15 years in Toronto.
I kept finding myself on this board every time I try to locate some food item :) Anyone have a current reco for corn tortillas available centrally?

2014 Nov 11
I don't know if it falls within your definition of central, but Mercado Latino has frozen / refrigerated ones that I have enjoyed. Montreal Road in Vanier just across the Cummings Bridge.

2014 Nov 11
The other day at Loblaws in the soft tortilla section I noticed one of the big brands now has a soft corn tortilla. I believe it was Dempsters.

I've purchased some from Natural Food Pantry in Westboro (sorry can't remember the brand) and they were alright. I've seen the same brand sold at Rainbow Foods near Britannia.

2014 Nov 11
La Tiendita

La Tiendita Latin Store
848, Merivale Rd
(613) 724-7762

They have 4-5 brands and kinds.

Fresh, not frozen and at a good price.

2014 Nov 11
La Tiendita is where I buy them. The ones I've seen at Natural Food Pantry are actually a mix of corn and wheat flour. They sometimes have those ones at Herb and Spice also. They're ok, but not as good as regular corn tortillas.

2014 Nov 11
Market Organics carries them.

2014 Nov 11
Cedars at Bank and Chesley carries 2-3 brands

2014 Nov 12
La Tiendita is where I buy them too. 1kg bag of 6" soft corn tortillas for $3!

2014 Nov 18
Demsters does, in fact, have corn flour tortillas at Loblaws. My wife picked some up tonight, but at $3.99 for 204g I think the ones at La Tiendita are a better value :)

2014 Nov 18
Re Dempster's: I tried them, but wasn't impressed - they are not real corn tortillas as we think of them and as I enjoyed at Ola Cocina today; they aren't made with masa.
Likely won't buy again.

2014 Nov 18
I've shaken my head at the sight of those Dempster's tortillas many times. How do you charge $3.99 for 6 tortillas?! What's cheaper than corn as ingredients go? Seriously.

Grace in the Kitchen has large frozen packages of corn tortillas that are a better value. We've also bought the ones at La Tiendita. Some of the Sobey's also has corn tortillas that are better value than the Dempster's ones, can't remember the name.

2014 Nov 19
The Dempster's ones are made from both corn and wheat. They have the texture of and taste more like wheat flour tortillas.

2014 Nov 19
I have a tortilla press that I brought back from Texas, I've really got no excuse about making them and eating these was reason enough to send me to youtube to look up how to make them from scratch with MaSeCa or, better yet, Promasa if I can find it.

2014 Nov 19
Promasa is the cornflour used for making empanadas or arenas (Harina PAN is similar and easy to find in Ottawa). Stuart you want the Maseca for tortillas; it has more flavour, a different flavour due to the lime treatment of the corn before grinding.

2014 Nov 19
La Tienda sells tortilla presses at reasonable prices. I picked one up there a few years back and we make our tortillas now.

2014 Nov 20
Damn auto-finish! Should be arepas not "arenas" in my last post.

2014 Nov 26
Sobeys and both Produce Depot store carry them.