Can you give me suggestion? [General]

2009 Jan 13
Hi,
I'm new to Ottawa.

Searching for the restaurant near byward market for lunch, I selected some only by information on the web.

Can you give me suggestion and more detailed comments on them?
What I have in mind is around $60++~70++ of 2 course lunch for 2 without wine.
Preference for food is any european, traditional or fusion.

1. Moji Restaurant
2. Murray Street
3. Navarra
4. The Fish Market Restaurant
5. Mamma Grazzi's Kitchen

Thank you in advance.

2009 Jan 13
Welcome Maple. Here's my take on those:
1. Moji - have not been
2. Murray Street - quite good, check out the online menu...
3. Navarra - heard good things, but I've not been
4. The Fish Market - my mom said, if you've nothing nice to say...
5. Mamma Grazzi's - It's been a while but I've always liked the Italian here. They are not historically fast, so it won't be a short lunch.

6. Domus - very good, highly recommend.
7. Mezanotte - very good, highly recommend.
8. Social - pretty good, fun at lunch with lots of artsy business sorts. Mojitos to die for...
9. NAC - I'll get panned for this one, but I've always liked the NAC restarant, although it's at it's most entertaining on a warm spring day, on the outdoor patio overlooking the canal... ahh...warm days...

Let us know how it turns out!

2009 Jan 13
I echo Pete-In-Ottawa's recommendation of Mezanotte, as well as Domus. I haven't been to Murray Street, but has heard wonderful things.

The Courtyard also comes highly recommended.

I can also echo his comments (or lack there of) about The Fish Market.

Enjoy!

2009 Jan 13
Maple - Another EEEECCCHHHHOOO
LOL

The Fish Market just can't stand up side-by-side with many of the others you've listed. As has been said here before in the past... there are some great places to eat in the Byward Market, and then there are just some places that are located there because of the volume of tourist traffic.

If you are in the mood for fish check out Lapointe's Seafood Grill - Lapointe Fish

2009 Jan 13
Be sure to use the "tags" feature at the top of every page. You can do "add tags" to narrow down your search. F&T had a good tutorial somewhere, I think.

2009 Jan 13
Do not go to the Fish Market... please... just don't. I got dragged there for a family function, glad I didn't have to pay! I highly recommend Murray St, Domus and Sweetgrass.

2009 Jan 13
Any ideas on where one might find a great fish restaurant (either in the Market or Downtown core) that offers a wide selection of finned goodies (as opposed to seafood). Lapointe's Kanata for example usually has a variety of fishes on the menu including things like Rainbow Trout, Salmon, Tuna, Mahi Mahi, Talapi among others.

2009 Jan 13
Zym - You are of course referring to my "Ottawa Foodies New User Guide" which is located in the HELP Section. Although there isn't much info as I recall on how to use the TAGS feature, that is pretty self-explanatory when you click on the link.

2009 Jan 13
Thank you, guys.

I got rid of moji, mamma grazzi's, and fish market from my list. lol
I'm going to list up my experience near the market.

2009 Jan 14
Maple If you like fusion food I can recommend Santé. And you are always welcome to write a review of whichever restaurant you pick - good or otherwise - we'd love to hear what you think!

Food&Think If you are looking for a fish restaurant of any kind downtown I'm afraid you are out of luck. The only decent place we have in the 'hood is Whalesbone (haven't been yet although I hear it is good). I drool over all these great seafood places in the burbs but organizing a dinner with friends at any of these places would be a challenge. My circle of friends are pretty spread out, none of us live near any of these places, and we all rely on the (non existant) bus service to get around (don't get me started). So if anyone in foodieland wants to open a seafood place in centretown let me know and I will be there the NANOSECOND it opens!

2009 Jan 14
IN the byward market I recommend:
Murray street
Navarra
Sweetgrass
The Courtyard
And I hear great things about Domus, although I have never been.

I wouldn't bother with Social. Its a nice place to drink but I found my lunch there over priced and disappionting.

If I found myself in the market tomorrow, I know the first place I would go is Murray street. The food is kick ass and the prices are great.