Veggie Burgers [Recipes]

2008 Sep 8
Anyone have a good recipe? Not looking for something that looks or tastes like a hamburger. Looking for something unique, preferably low on tofu or other soy products. I do make burgers out of falafel, so already know that trick.

2008 Sep 8
my fast recipe is:

veggie burgers (4 small patties)

1 can kidney beans, drained
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped or mashed
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 egg (optional for vegan recipe, i add it for extra protien)

- mash the kidney beans with a potato masher
- add garlic, brown rice and egg and mix well

at this stage i add in 2-3 tbsp of sauce. the sauce depends on my mood. hot chutney, or sweet and spicy thai sauce, salsa and cumin, or just fresh oregano and feta cheese. any flavour combination will work.

- if the mix is very moist, you can add dry bread crumbs, oatmeal, flour, or corn meal.

to cook, make 4 small patties, put in fridge for 10-15 minutes to firm up (this is optional).

to cook: heat small amount of oil in frying pan and pan fry until firm, around 4 minutes a side.

2008 Sep 8
Thanks - great starting point for me!

2008 Sep 9
BTW, how big is that can of beans? Soup sized can? Or one of the big 750ml ones ?

2008 Sep 9
The Veggie Burger recipe from Epicurious for Bulgur Veggie Burgers with Lime Mayonnaise is great. Some of the reviews mentioned a problem with the consistency, but when I made them they held together beautifully. I cooked them in a skillet on the stove. They froze well, and would also be terrific served in pita bread.
www.epicurious.com

2008 Sep 9
1/2 cup flour
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 small hot pepper, minced
1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 medium red pepper, minced (sometimes I forget to put this in. It's still good)
2 cups cooked black beans
1/2 cup corn niblets
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 tsp cumin (or more!)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder

1 egg - OPTIONAL

1. Saute onion, garlic and oregano and hot pepper in oil on medium hight heat until onions are translucent. Add peppers and saute another 2 minutes until pepper is tender. Set aside

2. In large bowl, mash the black beans with potato masher or fork. Stir in bread crumbs, cumin, salt, chili powder and parsley. Mix well (this is where I add the egg, only if they aren't sticking together well. Sometimes they do and sometimes they dont')

3. Divide and shape into 6 patties. Lay down each patty in flour, coating each side. Cook on a lightly oiled fry pan on medium high heat for 5-10 minutes or until browned on both sides.

2008 Sep 9
Ok you guys are making me hungry! I think I am going to try one of these recipes. Thanks for sharing.

2008 Sep 9
i usually use 2 regular size cans of beans and double everything up. i make extra and eat them cold the next day.

you can use any kind of bean, but chickpeas are really dry and crumbly, so they are better to do using the food processor instead of potato masher. i also have never tried dried beans, but that should work too. basically you want 1 1/2 - 2 cups of canned beans.

2008 Sep 9
Darn it! I have an unusual recipe for a vegetarian apple and bluecheese burger written on scrap paper SOMEWHERE in my house but it has gone AWOL. I'll keep looking Zym!

2008 Sep 9
1/2 cup Onion diced
15 ounce Pinto beans drained
1/2 cup Bread crumbs
8 3/4 ounce Corn can, drained
1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
2 tablespoon Jalapeno pepper minced, seeded
1 teaspoon Hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon Cumin (I add more)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Good with chiptole mayo -- a few tbsp of minced chipotle in adobo, mixed with may.

To prepare burgers, combine the first 10 ingredients in a large bowl. Add pinto beans and corn; partially mash with a fork. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 3 1/2-inch patty, and refrigerate for 10 minutes.

Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until thoroughly heated.

2008 Sep 9
Tiana, you didn't say what to do with the corn niblits.

2008 Sep 9
zym - you mix them in with everything else... at the end though, don't mash them with the beans.

2008 Nov 7
Just getting around to starting on this now.

HFF, not sure how I managed to screw up your recipe but the big container of moosh that I have will make a lot more than "4 small patties". I won't cook it til tomorrow, and I know at least I'll get something edible, so I'm not too disappointed for my first attempt :-)

Was your 1/2 cup rice measured before cooking, or after?

2008 Nov 7
I'm somewhat anal retentive when it comes to recipe wording so I can take a shot at this one. :-)

1/2 cup cooked brown rice ==> 1/2 cup *after* cooking
1/2 cup brown rice, cooked ==> 1/2 cup *before* cooking

HFF's recipe contained the former wording, so the 1/2 cup should be measured after cooking. Is that right, HFF?

2008 Nov 7
That's the way I'd normally take it too FF, but I've seen it the other way around far too often. Anyway, even if it was AFTER cooking, it would be a LOT more than "4 small patties". No worries though, I'll eat just about anything as long as I know what's in there. It's rare for food to go to waste in this house :-) Tomorrow I'll make something out of this stuff, and eat it!

2008 Nov 8
It looks like a cup of chick pea flour may have rescued my mush ... we shall see

EDIT: oh yes! Very nice indeed! I'll post my recipe in a little while. I'll definitely want to make this again very similar to this. My wife has some comments on the spicing which I'll want to improve upon, but in general I think I have something very solid to work with here as a base recipe.

2008 Nov 8
that would be cooked rice.

i really wing my burger recipe and so, trying to give exact measurements, is impossible. i do end up with a bowl full of mush, but it always is delicious. i go over content of the patties, instead of appearance of the patties.

when i find my mush is too liquid, i put it in the fridge to firm up, or throw in some toasted whole oats (or untoasted if i am in a rush). i have chickpea flour in the cupboard and never thought to use that, but what a good idea!

please post your recipe, i am sure it will give me some good ideas.

ps. i love the left over burgers the next day. i make a garlic feta spread that is delicious on them (fresh garlic (1-2 cloves is lots with this recipe), feta cheese (a block), mayo (around 1/4 cup) and milk (to get spreadable consistancy) - food processor until spreadable... once again, i wing it in measurements...)

2008 Nov 8
So here's what I did.

1 x can (540ml) kidney beans. drained but not rinsed
1 x jar (500ml) home-canned brown rice (see below)
1 x cup chick pea flour
4 or 5 tablespoons chopped garlic
3 or 4 tablespoons dried thyme
2 or 3 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
100 ml home made green ketchup
50 ml home made pasta sauce

I buzzed both the kidney beans and the rice in a food processor first.

The rice was one of my canning experiments gone bad actually. I meant to put 2/3 cup rice in each jar but mistakenly only put in 1/3 cup. So it was pretty overcooked and watery, which I guess is how it all ended up so mushy. I added 1/3 cup of chick pea flour at a time and stopped at a full cup. And i have to say as far as consistency goes it's just about perfect!

I don't think the ketchup nor the pasta sauce really added any significant flavour so I probably won't add it next time. My wife said it needs a lot of cilantro and with that would be just about perfect.

I tried cooking one up before the chick pea flour and it was pretty difficult. But with the flour it's just about perfect and actually makes it so you can cook it somewhat crispy if you like, which is how I like veggie burgers.

I have 6 on a cookie sheet in the freezer right now. Gonna freeze them and then vacuum seal so I can just pull them out as required. Plus the 3 I already ate, and probably enough goop left for at least 4 or 5 more. Total I guess 12 to 15 burgers of half-decent size.

2008 Nov 13
Hmmmm! That sounds just great!!

I have one for you too

Ingredients:

* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 onion, diced
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 3 green onions, diced
* 1/2 tsp cumin
* 3/4 cup diced fresh mushrooms
* 1 15 ounce can pinto beans
* 1 tsp parsley
* salt and pepper to taste
* oil for frying

Preparation:
Sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Add the green onions, cumin and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked. Set aside.

Mash the beans with a fork or a potato masher, or process in a food processor until well mashed.

Add the mushrooms to the beans and add parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.

Shape the mixture into patties. Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil and cook each patty until the veggie burgers are done, about 3 minutes on each side.

Enjoy

2010 Feb 22
Just gonna link in this from the other thread just now

www.vegetariantimes.com

3 stalks celery, diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
12 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour

2010 Feb 22
I've seen mashed sweet potato as the binder before, instead of mashed beans. They looked delicious.

2010 Jun 30
I'm just adding this link from the other thread, for future reference

www.vegetariantimes.com

2010 Aug 16
These look good

www.canada.com

Mushroom Burgers with Barley

Makes 6 burgers

This burger, based in part on the fortifying soup made with the same ingredients, is abundant in mushroom flavour. It is also vegan and gluten-free. Substitute other mushroom varieties, such as oyster mushrooms or plain button mushrooms. The barley with the mushrooms makes for a nice, chewy veggie burger.

1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces

3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive oil, divided

1 portobello mushroom

12 cremini mushrooms

10 shiitake mushrooms

1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) dried thyme

2 tablespoons (30 mL) balsamic vinegar

1 cup (250 mL) cooked barley

1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt

1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper

Steam or boil the potato until tender. Mash with a fork. Trim off the stem of the portobello mushroom and scoop out the gills. Chop into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces. Thinly slice the cremini and shiitake mushrooms

Heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the portobello mushrooms and dried thyme six to eight minutes, until the mushrooms begin to soften and sweat. Add the cremini and shiitake. Cook for 10 minutes, until the mushrooms have sweated off their moisture and they have dried up in the pan. Deglaze with the vinegar.

Transfer mushrooms to a food processor and coarsely puree, or chop the mushrooms finely by hand. Combine the mushroom mixture with the potato, barley, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Shape into six patties.

In a large oven-safe frying pan or non-stick saute pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the patties and cook until browned on each side, six to 10 minutes total. Put the pan in the oven and bake at 375 F (190 C) for 12 to 15 minutes, until the burgers are firm and cooked through.

Corn Burgers with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Goat Cheese

Makes six burgers

This burger is part flapjack, part veggie burger. It's too wet to shape into patties, so simply drop a big spoonful of the mixture into a hot saute pan. Good as a savoury breakfast, as the base for a simple salad or on a crusty wheat roll topped with goat cheese.

1 1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh corn, from about 3 ears, or frozen

2 eggs

1/2 cup (125 mL) stone-ground cornmeal or polenta

1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons (10 mL) cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) baking powder

6 green onions, including 1 inch (2.5 cm) into the dark green parts, thinly sliced

1 cup (250 mL) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, diced

3 ounces (75 g) goat cheese

1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt

1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil

Pulse 1 cup (250 mL) of the corn with the eggs in a food processor until the mix has the texture of chunky hummus, not completely liquefied. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Stir in the remaining cup of corn, the corn-egg mixture, the green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper. Crumble the goat cheese over the corn mixture and fold it in. Adjust the seasonings.

Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Drop the mixture by heaping 1/4-cup (60-mL) portions into the hot skillet, pressing gently with a spatula to round them into burger shapes. Cook until golden brown on the bottoms, 4 to 5 minutes; lower the heat if they seem to be cooking too quickly. Carefully flip and cook until firm and browned, another four or five minutes.

Armenian Lentil Burgers

Makes four burgers

Inspiration for these burgers came from Ani Chamichian, a friend of the author whose family is from Armenia. The spices complement the earthy lentils; Volger suggests serving these burgers with a cucumber yogourt sauce.

Lentils

1 cup (250 mL) French, or puy, lentils

1/2 onion, cut into two quarters through the stem

2 whole cloves

1 teaspoon (5 mL) olive oil

1-inch (2.5-cm) piece ginger, cut into two pieces

2 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled

1 cinnamon stick

1 bay leaf

Burgers

4 tablespoons (60 mL) plus

1 teaspoon (5 mL) olive oil, divided

1 onion, chopped

1 3/4 (8 mL) teaspoons ground allspice, or to taste

1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) ground cloves

Pinch of cayenne pepper

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons (10 mL) grated fresh ginger

2 eggs

3/4 cup (180 mL) toasted bread crumbs

1/3 cup (75 mL) roughly chopped fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt

Squeeze of fresh lemon juice

Pick through the lentils and rinse thoroughly. Stud each onion quarter with a clove. In a medium-sized pot, heat 1 teaspoon (5 mL) oil over medium heat. Add the onion quarters, ginger pieces, crushed garlic, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Stir, then cover and cook for one minute, until fragrant. Add the lentils and 2 cups (500 mL) water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until lentils are tender. Discard the aromatics -the onion, ginger, garlic, cinnamon stick and bay leaf -and pour off any excess liquid.

Heat 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of the oil over medium-low heat. Add the chopped onion, allspice, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and cayenne. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to caramelize, about 12 minutes. Reduce the heat and add the minced garlic and grated ginger. Cook until onion is fully cooked, about five minutes longer.

Set aside half 1 cup (125 mL) of the cooked lentils. In a food processor, combine the rest of the lentils and the onion mixture with the eggs and pulse until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the reserved lentils, bread crumbs, parsley, salt and lemon juice. Adjust seasonings and shape the mixture into four patties.

In an oven-safe frying pan or non-stick saute pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the patties and cook until browned on each side, six to 10 minutes total. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake at 375 F (190 C) for 12 to 15 minutes, until burgers are firm and cooked through.

Note: the lentils can be cooked ahead.

Cucumber-Yogourt Sauce

Makes 1 1/3 cups (310 mL)

1/2 red onion, minced

2 teaspoons (10 mL) lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt

1 small cucumber, grated or finely chopped

1 cup (250 mL) Greek-style plain yogourt

1/4 cup (60 mL) loosely packed chopped fresh mint

1 garlic clove, minced Pinch cayenne pepper

Combine the onion, lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl and let stand a few minutes while you grate or chop the cucumber. Add the cucumber, mint, garlic and cayenne pepper and adjust seasonings.

Montreal Gazette

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

2010 Aug 18
Ingredients:
• 3 Carrots (sliced)
• 1 Beans (diced)
• 1 Cabbage (shredded)
• 1 Broccoli (diced)
• 2 Mushrooms (diced)
• 1 Onions (diced)
• 2 pods Garlic (diced)
• 2 tbsp Wheat Flour
• Ό cup Cheese
• Salt to taste
• Pepper to taste
• Oil for frying
How to make Veggie Burger:
• Heat oil in a pan, and add mushrooms, onions and garlic to it.
• Sautι for 3-5 minutes; add flour, salt, pepper, cheese and the remaining vegetables to the above. Mix well.
• Turnoff the flame and allow it to cool
• Shape the above-made mixture into patties of equal sizes and refrigerate for at least an hour.
• After the due time, heat some oil in a pan and fry the patties on both sides until they turn brown on both the sides.
• Insert any filling like ketchup, cheese, etc, between two patties.
• Veggie Burger is ready to eat. Serve hot.

2010 Aug 18
What is "1 beans (diced)". This makes no sense to me.

Otherwise I like the looks of this recipe.

2012 Apr 7
Daphne & Victor's nut burgers are delish:

Daphne & Victor's Pecan Burgers

Makes 24 burgers but the recipe can be cut in half.

4 cups almonds with skins
2 cups pecans
3 stalks of celery (cut in 1 inch pieces)
2 medium onions ( cut in 1 inch pieces)
2 cups chopped carrots
3 tablespoons minced garlic
6 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons dry basil
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon salt
Fresh ground pepper
2 cups breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil ( for frying)

Pulse nuts in small batches, fine but not to a paste.
Remove nuts and pulse celery, onions, carrots to same consistency.
Place all in a large bowl and add all other ingredients (if mixture is too wet add more breadcrumbs)
Shape into 4 oz. patties. Fry in preheated oil.

D & V used to serve it with a traditional mornay sauce (make a roux with milk and flour and add grated cheddar cheese)
Also can be served with with a salsa or relish of any ki

2012 Apr 9
Thank You Thank You Thank You new user 2633. I loved those burgers!

2012 Apr 9
Blubarry...
Let us know after you have tried them again. I have not tried the recepie. My friend who gave it to me says Cafe Paradiso uses this recepie too.
Enjoy!
Martha

2014 Apr 30
I'm saving that D&V's recipe as it looks tasty - thanks Martha!

I should add a patty recipe I started to use years ago when my dd started life as a vegetarian and we started eating a lot more vegetarian meals; we all liked these patties. I was asked by dd & dw last week to put them on the menu, just need to get some peanuts. I used to buy really tasty roasted peanuts at local stores packaged/roasted? by someone in/near Clarence Creek (east of Ottawa) but sadly haven't seen them in a few years now.

PEANUT PATTIES WITH SPICY BBQ SAUCE
- from the Australian Women's Weekly Vegetarian Cookbook.

Patties: 1-1/4 cups unsalted roasted peanuts
1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1 medium onion – finely chopped
2 eggs – beaten
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1-1/2 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp fruit chutney
2 tbsp oil, for frying

Spicy Barbecue Sauce:
2 tsp cornflour
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar

Blend the peanuts and rice until finely chopped. Add onion, eggs, peanut butter, curry powder and chutney and blend again until well combined. Leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Flour your hands and shape the mixture into 8 patties.
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the patties, cook for about 5 minutes until browned on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot with the spicy sauce.
For the Sauce: Blend the cornflour and water in a small pan, add all other ingredients and stir over high heat for about three minutes until mixture boils and thickens.
Andy’s notes: I generally add some crushed garlic, cilantro and breadcrumbs and extra curry (hot) to the patties. I have added hot peppers or green Thai chili paste on occasion. I divide the dough in 8 or 10 roughly equal amounts; the dough can be quite moist and I usually use well-floured hands to then form them and place in a single layer on plates that I then refrigerate. Sometimes I place them directly in the frying pan, no waiting in the fridge. I usually use a food processor to make them, adding the garlic, then the onion, then the peanuts, processing until quite chunky, then adding the other ingredients and processing a bit more, scraping down the sides as necessary, adding enough dry bread crumbs to make the dough workable. Be sure to leave the peanuts fairly coarse - don’t overprocess to paste. Sometime I refrigerate the dough en masse then make the patties.
To get 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice, cook about 1/2 cup rice in about 1-1/2 cups of water. When cooked, spread rice on a plate to cool. White rice can be subbed for the brown if necessary.

I’m not too keen on the above sauce, so I usually make a peanut sauce something like this:

Peanut Sauce

3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup 10% cream
1/4 cup sweet Kecap Manis (see *note)
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
juice of 1 small lime, or to taste
2 Tbs rice vinegar
3/4 tsp dry mustard
3 dashes Tabasco, or more
3/4 tsp thyme or Thai basil
pepper, freshly ground
1/2 cup peanut butter
Kaffir lime leaves, optional
2 Thai bird chilies, optional
2 tsp grated fresh ginger, optional

*note: Kecap Manis is a delicious sweet Indonesian soy sauce available in medium sweet and sweet versions (and is really good on plain rice); replace with about 2 or 3 Tbs soy sauce plus 2 or 3 Tbs Brown/cane/date/coconut sugar.

Mix all ingredients in a pot and bring just to a boil while stirring; turn off heat, cover, and let rest to allow flavours blend.

I wonder what these patties would be like made with almond butter and chopped toasted almonds in place of the peanut butter and peanuts?

...another, simpler but still tasty,

Peanut Sauce

1/4 cup coconut milk
2 Tbs peanut butter
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp sesame oil (dark ie roasted ie Asian)
1 Tbs soy sauce
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1 clove of garlic, minced

Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl or pot and microwave or cook until boiling; boil gently for a minute. If too thick for your liking add some water or stock or orange juice or more coconut milk to thin to taste. Remove from heat and serve over patties (and rice if you’re having it and want some peanut sauce on it too).