Cookware Stores in Ottawa Area [Food/Vendor]

2008 Aug 5
Howdy Folks,
I am looking for some advice from the Forum Readers.
I am a woodworker based in Calgary, but initally from Ottawa.
I specialize in Custime End Grain Cutting BOards and Wooden Cooking Utensils.
I am thinkign of trying to break into the Ottawa market in the Winter/Spring of 2009 and am trying to find some stores to contact that might carry my stuff.
I haven't lived in Ottawa for 10 years and am not familiar the the stores in the area anymore.

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what stores I could contact???
Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

Sean de Carle
www.sdcfinewoodworking.com

2008 Aug 5
Note to Fresh Foodie : only geeks know what "Tags" means in the top menu.

2008 Aug 5
Sean If you are looking for suggestions you might want to try Grace in the Kitchen on Bank Street in Old Ottawa South or Jacobsons on Beechwood in New Edinburg for starters. You could also try J.D. Adam, Kitchenalia, The Glebe Emporium, Ma Cuisine, or Domus. You can find contact information for most of these vendors in the link zymurgist provided above or by searching on Canada 411. You could also try some of the Christmas craft fairs coming up in Ottawa like the Signatures craft fair, the Lansdowne craft fair or the Nepean craft fair. Good luck!

2008 Aug 5
Zymurgist: Unfortunately for me, I guess I am somewhat of a geek!! Thanks for the Info.
Pasta Lover: Sweet. I had no idea of some of those places.

With all that good information, I feel like the least I can do is offer some goods at 50% off the retail price. If you want to take me up on the offer, drop me a line and let me know what you are interested in. I ship free of charge as well.

Thanks again.

Sean
www.sdcfinewoodworking.com

2008 Aug 5
Ever consider branching out into brewing?

Google images search of "mash paddle".

images.google.ca

2008 Aug 5
I hadn't thought of it, but I do brew my own beer and if you are looking for a mash paddle, I could make one for you.

Sean

2008 Aug 12
Sean,

I wish you had posted this earlier in July when I had a wedding gift to buy for a co-worker!

2008 Aug 12
zym, then we must educate everyone! ;-)

Until someone can suggest a short word that is more understandable than "tags" then it must remain as is.

2008 Aug 12
just to get things started, here's a couple possible alternatives (in reverse order of my preference):

categories
stuff
topics
subjects
facets
links
taxa / taxon

all pretty geeky, but what can you do. Maybe "tags" is it?

2008 Aug 12
While we are on the topic of Site...

I have a question (or two) it's been awhile since I joined this site and I can't recall, when someone joins is there a blurb that tells them how everything here works? And for that matter what is and isn't appropriate (and that it is the discretion of the WebMaster) or is it strickly that opening "welcome" para on the home page?

2008 Aug 12
Keep in mind that "tags" covers all kinds of things like location (e.g. Kanata or Orleans), features (e.g. Patio or Kids menu), primary category (e.g. food or grocery), secondary category (e.g. Pub or Butcher), ethnicity (e.g. Caribbean or French).

The only other word I can think of that is generic enough for this purpose would be "labels". But it's longer than "tags" and it strikes me as being even more ambiguous. I quite like "facets" as a suggestion but fear it might cause more confusion in general. :-)

2008 Aug 12
Food&Think: I don't explain how everything works when people join (they wouldn't read it at that time). They can click on the "about" link for some help. It isn't great, but I ain't a tech writer. ;-)

The one thing everyone agrees to when they sign up is my "EULA":

-------------------------------
By using this website, you agree to follow these rules:
* Register for and use no more than one account.
* Declare your real first and last names (hidden by default)
* Treat other foodies with the same respect you expect from them.
* Treat vendors with the same respect you expect from them as a customer.
* Do not use unnecessarily coarse language. Kids like to eat too.
* Have fun, eat well, and enjoy life!
-------------------------------

BTW, this means that if you aren't enjoying life, you are obligated to sign out of this site and go outside for a walk! :-)

2008 Aug 12
personally, i think "categories" is broader in concept than "tags" and probably more intuitive to a broader cross section of people (i look at dictionary entries for evidence). But, the word is longer and in any case, i have no real problem with "tags": most users will eventually get curious and click on it. The others will (as you say) get educated.