Stroopwafels [General]

2008 Jun 5
My old university roommate recently visited me from Holland, and brought along a package of caramel stroopwafels along with him. I honestly think these are the best cookies i've ever had.

Anyone know where to pick these up locally? I think i'm addicted. They are made by Albert Heijn Zaandam.

2008 Jun 5
And for those that don't know what they are, here is a plagiarized description courtesy of Wikipedia:

A stroopwafel is a waffle made from two thin layers of baked batter with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle.

The stiff batter for the waffles is made from flour, butter, brown sugar, yeast, milk, and eggs. Medium sized balls of batter are put on the waffle iron. When the waffle is baked, and while it is still warm, it is cut into two halves. The warm filling, made from syrup, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon, is spread in between the waffle halves, which glues them together.

2008 Jun 5
Dutch Groceries on Clyde/Merivale and Loblaws. See Stroopwafel

2008 Jun 5
Pretty sure I've also seen them at the Ottawa Bagel Shop. They are good if you stick them in the microwave for just a few seconds to heat them up slightly.

2008 Jun 5
At Dutch Groceries you can choose between brands.

I have also seen them at La Bottega, and I think Budapest Deli, if the Market is more convenient.

An alternative to the microwave is to balance them over a hot cup of coffee or tea. Softens them up just a bit. They're pretty addictive - thankfully the packages are small.

2008 Jun 6
Slightly tangential: I think that there's room in this world for a stroopwafel-based dessert. Kinda like a thin Belgian waffle. You could add caramelized apples or something on the top, and a dollop of whipped cream. And then serve it with ice wine.

They are damn addictive, those little delights.

2008 Jun 6
Oh cripes, I didn't even bother to look for a 'stroopwafel' tag. Thanks for the replies everyone, these things are great!

Momo: I would agree, these could make an excellent base for a variety of desserts.

2008 Jun 6
OH CRAP: Stroopwafel ice cream sandwiches. Daaaaaaaaaamn.

2008 Jun 6
Momo - I do a similar thing with a similar Italian cookie - the pizelle. It's awesome.

2008 Jun 7
There so good, they have a food catagory listing here at Ottawa Foodies.

---> ottawafoodies.com/food/211 <---