Think Lunch [General]

2008 May 27
I'm curious about others opinions of this new downtown lunch place on Bank Street (in the Telus building): www.thinklunch.ca/

The concept is sound: high quality ingredients, local where possible, to make grab'n'go sandwiches. My problem is that they pre-make their sandwiches and refrigerate them. The result is a dried out, cold, sometimes inedible lunch.

Have I just had really bad luck with the place? Anyone else been yet? I was hoping they'd get better but I haven't seen improvement yet.

2008 May 27
LUNCH - they're listed in Canada 411 as just "LUNCH"

Bread does not deal well with refrigeration. When you put it in the fridge it starts to dry out and go stale immediately. That alone might not be a big deal -- I remember the sandwiches at Richtree Market (Richtree Market ) tasting quite great even though they're refrigerated.

I guess it depends on the bread. Do they use standard sliced sandwich bread or nice rolls? If the sliced stuff (as the photo in their online menu suggests) then it will deteriorate more quickly.

2008 May 28
It's sliced. According to someone who works there, the bread was originally sourced from Ace bakery but they switched to Le Moulin de Provence in the Byward Market. I couldn't really tell the difference. I think a nice roll would be an improvement.

Hopefully they can figure out a better delivery system because I love a good sandwich spot.

2008 May 28
I have been to visit Lunch a couple of times once on opening day just to check it out then again a few weeks later. I desperately wanted to like this place but I didn't find anything special enough that piqued my curiousity. On my last visit one staff member told me they do in fact make their sandwiches before the lunch rush so you can just run in and pick something up but I guess the novelty for me is going to a sandwich place where they assemble on the spot and you can add whatever toppings you choose. Nicastros is good for that and I quite enjoyed my prociutto sandwich on my last vist. Nice fresh bread, lots of meat, and fancier toppings. The Sausage Kitchen serves an awesome schnitzel on a bun and lieberkasse (sp?).

2008 May 29
I will check this place out this week, but this discussion leads me to a larger question. Does anyone know of good lunch places in centretown? By this, I don't really mean the larger geographical region commonly referred to as centretown, but more specifically, within a reasonable walking distance of the core of office buildings between Wellington and Gloucester (NS) and Lyon and Elgin (EW).

I was recently re-located to World Exchange Plaza, and find myself trekking to La Bottega a few times a week, when I can no longer stand mall-pizza for lunch.

So far, The better places that I have found include the soup place (Muffins Plus) in World Exchange, the Eastern European Place in Esplanade Laurier, the Italian place in 240 Sparks (but only the Linguine w/ Sun-dried tomatoes on tuesdays), and the Roti place on Bank @ Slater.

Sushi go is supposed to be opening on Albert St. soon I heard..

Would building this kind of resource be a good job for the Wiki?

I really hope that Think Lunch can provide good food for me a few days a week..

2008 May 29
Isn't there a Druxy's and/or Dunn's deli in that area?

EDIT : Dunn's Famous Deli

2008 May 29
There was a "downtown lunch" thread about a year ago that might give you some ideas:

www.ottawafoodies.com

2008 May 29
bwc - German Town deli for simple sandwiches and really good soup for cheap! Watch out for the gnomes...

2008 May 29
I really like Goonies Sandwich Works. There's one on Laurier/Kent and Laurier/O'Connor. There's also one going in at Bank/Gilmour. The prices are decent, the service is good and there's a good selection.

My only complaint is that they close at 7. And I don't work downtown, so it's a nice treat.

2008 May 29
zymurgist There is in fact a Druxy's in the area (I work on Sparks near Elgin) and it's on Metcalfe near Laurier. There are also two Dunns at Elgin and Cooper and the other at Dalhousie and George but they are a bit of a hike from World Exchange.

ollie Thanks for reminding us about that lunch thread! But just a note that two of the places are closed - Roasted Cherry and Kaedeya.

My contributions would definitely be Kebab Kebab in World Exchange, German Town Deli (awesome soup!), and Bread and Sons (their pizza is a must try).

There is also a new sushi place on Sparks which I visited a few times already and can recommend and it's actually called "Sushi Shop". It's a really tiny place that you are liable to walk right past but it's near Hoops sports bar just watch for the sandwich board on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant. There is also New Generation Sushi on Laurier between Elgin and Metcalfe and Blue Gardenia on Albert between Metcalfe and O'Connor. (Actually if you work in World Exchange it is in an office building near the Sheraton. It's actually in the basement but don't let that put you off. The restaurant is very clean and spacious and the meals are reasonably priced.)

I know you were looking for something a little closer to work but now that the weather is nice and if you feel like taking a walk the Byward building has some nice restaurants. My personal favourites tie between the Moroccan place (Yayora Express) and Wang's Noodle House. Shafali Bazaar is good too.

2008 May 29
I visited this place right after it opened since I'd heard good things.

I walk in and the guy asks me: "Your first time here?" I nod. Then, a HUGE speel ensues about how great the place is; where the bread is from, how the muffins are made, where the meat is sourced, how his balls hang, I think there was even some vegan talk in there somewhere. I tuned out after the first six sentences.

I settle on the tuna because it's a safe bet and I just want to get him to shut up at this point. I figure the food should do the rest of the talking now.

I get back to my desk and inspect the sandwich before digging in, because after all, I just paid $6 for a regular sized sandwich (read: two regular slices of bread and some filling).

WHAT A RIP. It was basically a plain old tuna sandwich gussied up a bit with some pickled ginger and some sprouts. The tuna wasn't even the good quality that costs a bit more per can.

Now I realize that quality local ingredients cost more, but six (and seven and eight) bucks for something like that is clearly pushing it.

I'm pretty sure Bridgehead's sandwiches are local/organic (not to mention more substantial) and they're significantly cheaper. Same deal with other locally run places in the neighbourhood like Bread & Son.

All just my two cents of course, but I say: "Fool me once, Thinklunch, just once."

2008 May 30
There is a cafe right across from the CBC studios on Sparks street that make panini and ciabatta sandwiches. They have a good selection of toppings on them and they also sell Illy coffee. I found it a bit awkward when I went there because I had to pay for my coffee before ordering my sandwich, but the quality of the ingredients seem good.

2008 May 30
Yes! Palermo's!
They have a pretty good smoked salmon on a nice thick bread (ciabatta maybe?).
I go there once or twice a week.

You get a toasted sandwich + salad of your choice for six bucks taxes in.

2008 May 30
Saurian, your description is hilarious. Glad to know it's not just me being difficult.

Mousseline, I will try out Palermo next week. Thanks for the tip!

2008 Dec 11
I had lunch at this place today...I think it's actually called Lunch...lol I was skeptical because of the past reviews but I had to try it out because I'm getting sick of all the other places in the neighbouring buildings where I work.

It was great. I had a hot sandwich with italian saugages and homemade pizza sauce. Supposedly hot sandwiches are a new feature. It was tasty and fresh. The cheese was definitely some sort of old cheddar and the sauce tasted good but it was a bit runny. They should reduce it a bit more.

I also tried their soup of the day, and it was awesome. Some sort of bean and double smoked bacon soup served with a small bag of in house croutons. I wasn't sure that this would fill me up but it certainly did. The soup and sandwich came to approximately $8.80...not cheap but definitely better than the crap in my building!

2008 Dec 11
Glad to hear that the place has improved. Unfortunately I no longer work downtown so won't be able to give them another shot anytime soon.

2008 Dec 11
I recently noticed the hot sandwiches being advertised in their window while passing by. Perhaps I will give them another try now that it's been several months.

I'll better be able to gauge if the reason for which they simplified their name is due to the fact that they've actually stopped thinking. ;)

2008 Dec 15
I wanted to be a supporter of this place, I too got the long-winded preamble and tried a few tapenades etc, that they were offering in the summer when they first opened up, which were pretty good actually.

The food reminds me of Marks and Spencer in the UK, sandwiches in little triangular boxes, salads ready to go.

I believe they use top quality ingredients, I really do. I just have trouble spending 7+ bucks on a sandwich. I wish them well because I think they really do want to create a high quality product with good principles, but I can't say that it is a place that I will frequent as I am fortunate enough to typically bring or walk home for lunch.

It reminds me a bit of the Michael Pollan conundrum ie: healthy, locally produced products are really only accessible to those with the extra disposable income to spend on such "luxuries". The average person has less to spend and therefore sometimes gravitates towards cheaper, mass-produced items, which are generally less healthy.

2008 Dec 16
This is my type of thread! LOL!

Always a challenge to find good 'fast' local places around the work area. Yes, they do exist but sometimes they aren't always that consistent.

Some good local spots:
- Bread and Sons (Bank and Gloucester) -- get vegetarian choices
- Dunn's on Queen (melt in your mouth smoked meat ... although I am now a vegetarian)
- Palermo's on Sparks (yup - if you haven't already tried, you must!)
- Caribbean Sizzler (Bank and Slater)
- Lebanese counter in L'Esplanade Laurier - love their chicken fatouch salad

As for Lunch, I've been to this place twice and both times, I wasn't too impressed. Cute concept but the prices are higher than normal and some of their stuff is just tasteless. Have had their gaspacho soup (tasty), hummus wrap (way too messy!), tofu sandwich (bland), another soup of the day (do not recall - don't think it was all that good).

Lunch would not be my first choice.

2008 Dec 16
Best place for cheap soup'n'sammie is German Town Deli...

2008 Dec 16
Big Mouth Dunn's no longer has a location on Queen Street - it is now a Green Papaya restaurant. There are still two Dunns though - one on Elgin and one on Dalhousie. The only thing they are missing is the Boston Cream Pie which is available at Dunn's in Montreal but not in Ottawa. I never got a hankering for it until after I moved away - go figure! But they still have the smoked meat platter and the cheesecake - yummy!

I haven't been to L'Esplanade for lunch in years but I heard the restaurants in the food court are really good. I guess I will have to make a trip there after the holidays - this may be my New Years resolution-:)

2009 Jan 9
Anybody know what happened to the Blue Gardenia on Bank Street? Went there for a nice breakfast this a.m. and they were closed, and all the tables/furniture have been removed :(

2009 Jan 9
New user 1486 that Blue Gardenia is in fact closed but there is another Blue Gardenia in centretown. It is located on Albert st. near the Sheraton. It is actually located in the basement of an office building but they usually have a sandwich board on the sidewalk so you will be able to find it.

2009 Jan 9
Re: Blue Gardenia - I used to frequent that basement one a few years ago. They served this "big salad" (think Seinfeld) with this creamy garlic salad dressing made in-house, very good, they sell it to go if you're really addicted. The breakfast is standard greasy spoon, solidly executed.

2009 Jan 9
The Blue Gardenia has been an Ottawa downtown lunch institution for years (at least since the early 1980s)... it is one of those hidden away "hole in the wall spots" (in a basement) that you have to know about (something like the German Town Deli, which is also a favourite of mine). The Gardenia is indeed clean, quick, reliable and tasty. Especially as Chimichimi says their huge creamy garlic salad (can't recall the name of it) totally awesome. If I recall correctly it is available in two sizes, but most people just order the large one because it is so addictive!

Can't believe they don't have a Vendor entry here on OF.