Spicy Pho - where's your favourite? [Food/Vendor]

2008 May 4
It seems people love their pho in Ottawa. I'm curious to know where you all go to get your SPICY pho fix? Spicy as in, chili oil floating on top spicy, make you sweat into your bowl of pho spicy, etc. Sometimes called bun bo hue, pho hue, spicy lemongrass pho... I want to venture out, I always get my fix at Pho Thang Long with their Bun Bo Hue (it's very good, but I need to expand my horizons).

2008 May 4
There's a couple reviews/pics under Pho (Phở) with soups that look like they have a real kick to it. Glossing over the reviews I'd say ask Fresh Foodie because it seems hes sampled every soup and spring roll Ottawa has to offer...

I'm not a huge fan of "make you sweat into your bowl" spicy pho, but my stand-bys are Pho Bo Ga (Lebreton, near Royal Treasure), New Pho Bo Ga La, and Pho Vietnam on St. Laurent (by virtue of proximity to my office)

2008 May 4
Yes, I've tried the one at Pho Bo Ga, it was pretty good... moderate amount of heat, nothing mindblowing... but the flavours of the broth were really well balanced with the cabbage, shrimp, etc.

2008 May 4
The Pho Bo Ga spicy soup (Special A) is one of my all-time favourites, but I agree it isn't terribly hot. I'm not sure you'll find anywhere that makes it spicy enough for your taste, but a couple of places worth looking at:

* Saigon Boy (Saigon Boy Noodle House) - the spiciest I've found yet (check out the photo for angry red chili oil floating in the soup). Mind you, I haven't tried the one at Pho Thang Long, so this likely isn't as spicy as what you find there.

* Pho Maxim (Pho Maxim ) - often very spicy! The non-spicy broths are nothing special but anything marked in the menu as spicy is worth checking out.

* Phnom Penh (Phnom Penh ) - just had this last Friday. Good, not mindblowing, but worth trying if you find yourself in Kanata.

Wikipedia tells me that Bun Bo Hue has very thick noodles and is more like a stew than a soup. All the ones I mention above are more soup-like -- basically Pho with a healthy dose of chili and maybe a slice of tomato or other unusual ingredient.

Let us know what you find! I'm always eager to expand my Pho horizons.

2008 May 4
Bingo! Saigon Boy it will have to be! That looks perfect - reminiscent of Pho Thang Long, even. Thanks!

Edit: Pho Thang Long's looks very reminscent of this, with the mystery deli meat slices in it - www.khamtran.com

2008 May 12
"new" Pho Bo Ga la

A very worthy bowl o' bun bo hue..

2008 May 14
the S11 at New Pho Bo Ga La is certainly worth trying also, sorry no picture.

2008 May 15
So nice!