Steve Vardy Pulled Pork Party [General]

2008 Apr 24
Anybody going? I am busy this weekend :(
www.kelprecords.com/index.htm

2008 Apr 24
I heard that on the radio this morning - and it's at the Carleton which is a 2 minute walk from my front door! I think I may just have to pop in.

On a related note - I see it on that website and heard it on the radio this morning as well - the Hilotrons are at the Elmdale (also 2 minutes from my house) tomorrow night, and I should be there as well. Not foodie related except that they have good beer at the Elmdale. I've never seen the Hilotrons but I'm a huge fan of Ukrainia and they share several the band members.

EDIT: for those of you not living in Hintonburg yet - just what are you waiting for? :-)

2008 Apr 24
I will be going! Pulled pork! The Carleton! I can't resist.

Zym - I lived in Hintonburg. I want to move back! Close to work, great food, a Beer Store, my favourite watering holes, what else could I ask for!?

2008 Apr 25
Well, you could ask for an LCBO and a decent grocery store within walking distance. Somerset area and Hintonburg both get shafted with that....my sis still lives in Hintonburg and it's a longish walk from her house to the Island Park Loeb and the Superstore. My sis tells me that the City Centre is going to be torn down and redeveloped. It would be nice if there were useful stores there rather than have it be a mirror of South Keys.
A mid-size regular grocery store would be nice, or a Farm Boy. An LCBO would be useful. A nice new Nicastro's store would be really swell. I don't live in the area anymore so I'm not sure what else is lacking in Hintonburg and west centretown.

2008 Apr 25
Hintonburg has a Loeb, what do you mean? Yeah, I know the uppety-ups call that "Wellington Village", but that's a name that was made up by real estate agents. The original boundary of HIntonburg is Island Park.

2008 Apr 25
I don't live in Hintonburg but am a frequent visitor. (Does that make me an honorary resident?...) Since I live downtown it's just a hop, skip, and a jump from where I live. I like to shop there because it does not have a mid size grocery store. I am already a stone's throw away from three of them. But I do like Parma Ravioli (my favourite!), Herb and Spice, the Bagel Shop etc. I am still distraught that the Trillium Bakery is closed but thankful that the Ottawa South location is still open. (BTW I also shop in Ottawa South for the same reason - no grocery store chains and lots of neighbourhood shops.)

2008 Apr 25
I know that Zymurgist, my Mom used to shop at Island Park Loeb all the time when I was a kid growing up on Pinhey St (the Giant Tiger street for those not familiar with the 'hood.) It's not that far of a walk if you are only getting a few things. It's a helluva walk if you need a bunch of stuff or a big bag of dog food. And I do think Hintonburg does not have enough convenient shopping towards the Lebreton flats end. And Somerset is great if you are shopping for ethnic foods, not so good if you need cat food, toilet paper, cereal etc.
I think that location could easily support a grocery store...... you disagree?

I also think the Westboro Superstore is one of the worst grocery stores I've ever been in with the exception of Hartmans.

Of course I do most of my shopping on foot, so my perspective on this is pretty much shaped by that. I don't drive so having convenient shopping within easy walking distance is a high priority for me. That being said, my sis has easy access to Preston street and Somerset street and never ever shops there. Go figure!

2008 Apr 25
Well, the Loeb closed down in chinatown. The Hintonburg community association is trying to get a community grocery store going - doing surveys and studies. But honestly, I think Giant Tiger is not a bad choice. And the Halal grocer as well for that matter.

2008 Apr 25
Mousseline I sympathize with your shopping experiences since I also do my shopping on foot. I also had a kitty until recently and carrying his food wasn't much of an issue but that kitty litter can get pretty darn heavy! Being downtown and close to grocery and drugstores is a definite plus for me so stopping in somewhere on the way home makes life sooooo much easier. It would be nice to have similar services in Hintonburg but in the meantime there are other grocery stores (the Superstore and Hartmans as you mentioned) which are too far to walk but a short bus ride away. I guess my perspective on things is a little different having grown up in Montreal and in the burbs none the less. The neighbourhood I grew up in is alot like Westboro (nice residential area with expensive gift shops) but absolutely no drugstore or hardware store and only one expensive grocery store. So the only option is to hop in your car and drive somewhere - drive to the grocery store, drive to the drugstore, you could spend your life in your car! I guess that's why I like Ottawa so much everything is so close by or a short bus ride away. It will be interesting to see what they do with that City Centre though.

2008 Apr 25
My bad for wandering WAY off topic, just to mention the topic at hand...if this was my ex's weekend to have the kids I WOULD hang out at the Carleton and partake of beer and pulled pork. That plus Kelp bands seems like a no-brainer. Sadly, I can't go so someone else will have to enjoy some for me.

2008 Apr 25
Bring your used CDs to donate. They will be sold to raise money.

2008 Apr 25
Well, don't live (yet!) in Hintonburg (daughter was there for a bit renting and we seriously considered it 3 years ago--shold have invested then!) , but hubby loves the Carleton, son loves the music (anything on Punk Ottawa), I'm the only one who loves pulled pork--Carolinas here I go. Guess we'll miss it this year...

2008 Apr 26
There is a $10 door charge for the band cover, but if you tell them you only want to grab a pulled pork sandwich and then take off, they will let you go through to the patio to get in line. Once there you make a donation, get your sandwich, and away you go.

It was very good!