Anyone ever make Pogos? [Cooking]

2008 Apr 8
The kids have taken a liking to them, and I'd like to try to make something a bit healthier - like maybe a real sausage inside with some kind of whole grain batter/dough on the outside.

Anyone have a recipe that I can use for a starting point? For the dough I mean, obviously.

2008 Apr 8
I vaguely remember seeing a recipe that incorporated pureed vegetables into the batter of a corndog to at least introduce some health benefit to it. You could probably add flax powder to the mix as well.

2008 Apr 8
I just found this recipe on food network :

www.foodnetwork.com,1977,FOOD_9936_25894,00.html

The dough recipe looks pretty-good as is actually if I replace the flour with WW flour. I see it's got cream style corn in it - which my son absolutely loves so this will be a big selling feature for him.

I may give it a try as early as tomorrow night.

2008 Apr 8
If you hadn't have found it, I would have pointed to the Alton Brown recipe, too. That episode was full of delicious things.

2008 Apr 8
Zym I was going to say you'd probably have more luck looking for 'Corn Dogs' rather than 'Pogos'. That recipe looks really good.

At Social a few years ago they had this great little app with mini-pogos made of elk sausage. Wish I had the recipe they'd make a neat hors d'oeuvre...

2008 Apr 8
Monty - you can source elk sausage pretty easily in Ottawa since there's an elk ranch right near Kanata/Carp. Once you've got that, you've won half the battle!

Zym - the creamed corn recommendation is a good one, since cornbread & corndog batter is similar. I had a healthy jalapeno cornbread recipe using creamed corn and it was awesome, and normally I dislike creamed corn!

2008 Apr 8
Yeah, I found that recipe googling "corn dog recipe" actually monty. Much better luck that way!

2008 Apr 8
I'm not sure how many people on these forums speak French, but I thought I'd post a link to a very informative little documentary on Pogos:

www.radio-canada.ca

2008 Apr 9
I havn't checked any of these recipes listed above, but for the healthiest pogo's possible start wih Yves Veggie Cuisine veggie dogs (fewer cals and fat than reg. dogs and just as tasty...available at most grocery stores), using the jumbo size would probably be your best bet. Dip the dogs in an eggwash, dredge in WW flour, eggwash again and then coat with crumbled cornflakes(or for an extra healthy kick try "Fibre One Honey Clusters" cereal. These can be fried but to stay on the health track baking them at 375 until golden brown (a few minutes) works best. Per dog the specs workout to about: 120cals, 4.5g fat, 7g carbs(1 from sugar), and around 12g protein. Don't worry about the veggie dogs...im not in anyway at all vegetarian but these little guys seriously taste just the same, while packing a definite health punch including vitamins and minerals, just hide th package from the kids at first and all should go well.

2008 Apr 10
Yeah, I was thinking of those already.

2008 Apr 13
OK, about to try this for the first time ... we'll see how it comes out

2008 Apr 13
The experiment turned out reasonably well. I only had 3 dawgs left and managed to get 2 of them to come out of the deep fryer looking pretty much like a pogo. The 3rd one was missing a bit splotch of batter.

I was then left with quite a lot of extra batter and so made a bunch of corn fritters just by blobbing large spoonsful of batter into the oil. I found the oil was better at 350F than the 375F mentioned in the recipe.

2008 Apr 13
Here are the leftover fritters - a bit dark because they were the ones when the oil was 375F.

2008 Apr 13
Oh, I left out the onions and jalepeno, and change the cayenne to ginger