Montreal [Travel]

2008 Apr 1

I know there has been past forum posts on Montreal however none of them apply to BYOW. I'm going next week and looking for one. I've been looking on chowhound and other Montreal blogs and so far seem to think that Les Heritiers, Bistro L'entrecote or Le Bleu Raisin are good choices.
I am also open to any other suggestions for dining. As far as price range goes, Toque and Feirrera Cafe are too pricey.
Other places i'm interested in are Olive et Gourmando, Au Pied De Couchon, Rockaberry's for dessert.
Anyways, any insight or good areas to walk around and find a good place/ areas to avoid would be great. I'm very excited!!!

2008 Apr 1
I thought BYOW (and Beer) was basically everywhere in Montreal. That's what I'd been lead to believe at least

2008 Apr 1
I'm not sure about BYOW places since I am the only one in the family that drinks so I usually just order a glass with dinner. Also my family lives on the West Island so that's usually where I eat out. But I do have some suggestions however! I know that Au Vieux Duluth allows their customers to bring their own wine. I usually dine at their West Island location but they have multiple locations around the city. I would recommend either the Place Ville Marie location or their Ste. Catherine St. location. (Place Ville Marie has some nice shops although a little pricey - might be a nice outing doing a little window shopping then dinner after.) The location on Ste. Catherine is located near the Centre Eaton, Simon's, etc. There is also a nice bookstore there (Indigo Books I think?) and an Imax theatre nearby so there is lots to do in the area. Au Vieux Duluth serves seafood and is mid range in price.

A little further down Ste. Catherine going east you will get to Da Giovanni. It is not a BYOW place but the prices are reasonable and they serve delicious pasta. It is near the Guy Favreau complexe (nice shops and affordable!), Place des Arts, and the Grand Bibliothèque (sorta like the National Library here in Ottawa).

If you are downtown but going the other way there is Le Paris - traditional French fare and affordable! It is just west of Guy and near the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and the Faubourg Ste. Catherine.

Actually if you tie in a visit to the museum and are looking for a good lunch place the Brulerie St. Denis in the Alcan building serves some nice lunches. (You can skip the museum cafeteria since the food is expensive and doesn't taste very good.)

Chinatown is also a fun place to visit. It's on de la Gauchetière and runs for only a couple of blocks starting at boul. St. Laurent and running west. If you go I would suggest late afternoon because it won't take you long to visit the shops. I usually like the Jardin de Jade - they have a huge buffet and they serve pretty standard Asian fare. There are alot of restaurants to pick from though so I'm sure you will enjoy your meal where ever you end up.

Another good place is Magnan's probably one of the best known taverns in Montreal and everything there is delicious. It is located just south of the Atwater market and near the Lachine canal.

One last place is La Sarosa on St. Paul St. in Old Montreal and their specialty is thin crust pizza. Activities nearby include the bike path by the harbourfront, Place d'Youville, and the Bonsecours market. (I'm sure I'm missing something but Old Montreal is a great place to stroll around - I'm sure you will find something to do!)

Well good luck in your Montreal adventure and if I think of anywhere else I will let you know.

2008 Apr 1
Martha - Pasta Lover has summed up a lot of my favourite locations: Old Montreal (fine French cuisine), the streets that run north and south from Rene Levesque thru St. Catherines and up to Sherbrooke (Guy, Crescent, etc), the working man's taverns (Magnan is a good choice), Steamies & Fries from the Montreal Pool Room, Great Chinese food in Chinatown, Delis with their Montreal Smoked Meat, Famous Jewish haunts along Parc Avenue and the plateau (Fairmont Bagel), Ethnic food from the old world and eastern europe (Old Duluth Street is fantastic for this). Mediterranean food (Greek in particular) these restaurants are everywhere, but the best are probably found along Park Avenue. You might want to check out www.restomontreal.ca or even www.tripadvisor.com for more ideas (and reviews). I know on restomontreal that they even list whether the spot does BYOB. Cheers!

2011 Jul 2
Hello everyone,

I'm heading to Montreal next weekend and have narrowed down my choice of resto to two:

Garde Manger
or
Au pied cochon

I can't make up my mind - would love to hear experiences from those who have gone to both and what they thought.

Cheers.

I'd also point out that Duluth street is one of the best places for BYOW in Montreal.

2011 Jul 3
If you're going to Garde Manger, make sure you have reservations. Au Pied de Cochon reservations are recommended but quite often they can fit you in. Since Chuck beat out Bobby Flay on Iron Chef, the reservations have been hard to get at Garde Manger.

2011 Jul 3
Au Pied de Cochon was one of the best eating experiences I've ever had. Three of us shared a charcuterie Foie Gras Poutine, Foie Gras Hamburger and Duck in a Can. It was a perfect fall dinner; I'm not to sure that I would eat that much in the summer. It was pretty amazing though.

2011 Jul 3
I love Chuck's Day Off-think I'll try to book a reservation at Garde Manger for my anniversary weekend now!

2011 Jul 5
We did APC in June. I looked into going to Garde Manger - but I found a number of more negative reviews. I'm not saying its bad, just it sounded like it was way more hipster than goodster. Heavy on club atmosphere, maybe not as good on the food. But then that is also what some people more hipster than me are looking for.

I can't say enough good things about APC. However APC is not BYOW.

2011 Jul 5

I agree with above, APC is a food experience vs Garde Manger is a fun, loud, hipster place to eat.

2011 Jul 7
Rockaberry is ok, lots of choices, good quantity. The hot dessert spot on St-Denis is Juliette et Chocolat at the corner of Maisonneuve. There is almost always a line-up!

There are tons of BYOW in Mtl. Lots of nice Greek places on Prince Arthur.

2011 Jul 8
If you go to Pied de Cochon, almost next door is Les Chocolats de Chloë, definitely one my top 5 picks of chocolatiers in Montreal (3rd place, actually). Some really unique flavours (fig and balsamic vinegar!) and always good quality.

2011 Jul 10
Thanks everyone. I do want to go to APC, but seeing as I didn't know if some of the folks I was with would be into it, I opted for another restaurant entirely!

I went to DNA. I won't post a complete review, but on the whole it was a fun experience, but certainly not the best foodwise. 50% on Canadian wines from 5 a 7. I miss living in Montreal.....