An Ottawa Moroccan Restaurent from days gone by [General]

2008 Feb 18
Anyone remember the belly dancing at a Moroccan restaurant, here in Ottawa, circa 1985-88?

The one with the Bedouin Tent seating? I think it was downtown.

What was it called again ?

This is buggin' the b'jeszus outta me.

2008 Feb 18
I saw belly dancing at the Lebanese Palace down in the market circa 1998. They were a great resto, but after a move or two are no longer around.

2008 Feb 18
Dunno about the Moroccan restaurant, but the old Fairouz on Somerset used to have belly dancing (weekend nights only, I think). Their lemony grilled quail was excellent!

The new "Fairouz Chalet" vendor 283 could be a reincarnation of that place. Not sure if they still have belly dancing though.

2008 Feb 18
I think it may have been the Kasbah Village Moroccan Cuisine.
ottawafoodies.com/vendor/447
also:
www.restaurantthing.com

Looks like they have the belly dancing on the weekends, but no mention of the Beduion tent style seating. They may have re-tooled over the years to have a more "Canadian" feel and/or fit more patrons into the restaurant.

So now the question is : Does anyone remember the Kasbah Village having Beduion tent style seating in the past ?

PS: I called the restaurant and they no one could remember.... they were all newer (than 1990) staff.

2008 Feb 18
Moroccan Village is kind of sounding right to me. I even ate there a couple times...if this is the place you're thinking of; it was in the Byward Market on (I believe) York or Clarence Street (late 80's?). Tent interior - deep red. Wandering belly dancer.
I have sent a special request for help to *someone* who might have the answer. Stay tuned.

2008 Feb 19
The only Moroccan restaurant I've been to here was Dar Tajine on Preston St. (not downtown, so it's probably not the one you're thinking about). They're also closed now. I can't remember if they offered belly dancing.

2008 Feb 19
Wow, we are really going back a ways here Captain Caper. I remember some sort of highend restaurant (too rich for my blood) about that time, that a lot of Federal Big-Wigs (or is that Big-Whigs), and their entourages used to frequent on Sparks Street... think it might have been in a basement (?) somewheres up by the end of the Sparks Street Mall, near the Bank of Canada Building.

Ring any bells with anyone?

2008 Feb 19
Spark Street (and/or near the Bank of Canada) is ringing bells.

Expensive is also ringing bells. I only went once, BC, with my girlfriend and our high-tech pay packets. (BC = before children)

Definitely downtown and not the Market area. Downstairs ? ... I'm not sure.

Again, this was 1985-86 era.

This is STILL buggin' the b'jeszus outta me.

2008 Feb 19
Captain Caper I'm certain the Moroccan restaurant you are thinking of is Moroccan Village. It was in the building that the Empire Grill is now in and immediately on the left as you enter the building. I think there is a Timothy's now there. I had it clearly pictured in my mind when you made your first post in this thread and Inkling jogged my memory (thanks!). It closed just after I moved to Ottawa in 1988. I recall this place because I wanted to go and tried dragging every unsuspecting friend that came to visit but I lucked out.

Food and Think I don't remember any high-end restaurant down that end of Sparks although there might have been. I know some of the big wigs used to eat at the Cathay Lounge on Albert Street just off Bank and also Hy's on Queen Street just off Bank.