Opening 2018! (continued) [Food/Vendor]

Aug 31
TOPIC continued from Forum - Opening 2018!

I am off to Big Daddy's on Elgin this evening for happy hour.

Sep 7
I noticed a new restaurant to be opening next to Koichi Ramen on Somerset St West. It used to be a building that housed Season's Pizza and residential units (and maybe a hair stylist). There was no signage as to when Somerset View is expecting be opening.

Sep 9
A sign just went up for a Japanese place called J•Unique, at 381 Cooper, where Rawlicious used to be. Nothing posted as far as an opening date goes.

Edit: they've got an Instagram account, looks like it'll be a "Vancouver style" sushi joint

www.instagram.com

Sep 10
Coconut Lagoon - There was a liquor permit application notice in the window for Coconut Lagoon at 140 O'Connor (corner of Laurier St.) last week. Windows are now covered in brown paper. Very exciting to have them downtown!

Sep 10
Coconut Lagoon is opening downtown?

COCONUT LAGOON IS OPENING DOWNTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!etc ad infinitum!!!!s...

Sep 13
Is this a second restaurant or are they moving? The St Laurent location is close enough to where I work to make it an occasional lunch option.

Sep 14
I can’t imagine them shutting down the St. Laurent location so soon after a major renovation.

Sep 17
Further research (utter hearsay and conjecture) suggests it's a second location, not a move.

Sep 18
Former Menchie's location on Merivale has a sign up for Sansotei Ramen.

Sep 18
Has had it for months and we've been discussing it for just as long in the old opening thread. Soft open is Sept 22nd I hear

Sep 18
Has had it for months and we've been discussing it for just as long in the old opening thread. Soft open is Sept 22nd I hear

Sep 19
Noticed that the Kaashi food centre (great little Indian place), has vacated the corner of Somerset and Booth. Looked like there is a new hipster joint starting up in its place. Anyone know what it is? I saw a hashtag driving quickly by, but not enough time to register what it actually said - it has #613_____too in it I think...

Sep 19
Went past Sansotei Ramen on Merivale yesterday and they had an open sign on their door.

Sep 19
Kaashi Food Centre is now Too Beaucoup. One of the owners is the former sommelier from Supply and Demand. They have a FB page

Sep 19
Anyone else think Too Beaucoup is a bit of an ill-advised name for a business with a lot of Vietnamese neighbours?

[YouTube video of "Too Beaucoup" scene from Full Metal Jacket deleted by admin due to family-unfriendly content.]

Sep 19
Whoa, that does seem in poor taste! :O

Sorry I had to delete the video. Can't believe that movie is from 1987!

Sep 20
Do you think they even know that reference? I did not, and I thought the name was clever.

Sep 20
I can’t imagine starting a business without Googling the name first. The only results are references to Full Metal Jacket, and a clothing company that mentions Full Metal Jacket in its bio.

Sep 20
A quick Googling shows the top few results are specifically about the Full Metal Jacket scene. I'm not sure the term is racist but I'm also not sure you would want to reference that particular scene for the name of your restaurant.

DON'T ORDER THE SAUSAGE SURPRISE!!!!

Sep 20
Currently sitting in the new Sansotei Ramen. There is a line. We made a bunch of people upset because we were seated before them. Note, chances for seating opportunities are better if you show up in groups of 2. I just flashed my Ottawa Foodies badge and they found me a table.

Standard excellent experience. Gyoza wasn't as flavourful as I'd have liked, but still really good. The tonkotsu black and shoyu ramen were delicious and earthy.

The soft-boiled egg was a bit overdone.

They gave me thin noodles instead of the thick noodles I ordered.

None of these qualms are going to diminish the experience very much, and I realize that they haven't even officially opened yet, but that's my report.