Opening 2017! (continued) [General]

2017 Aug 26
TOPIC continued from Forum - Opening 2017!

2017 Aug 26
Morals Village Hot Pot coming soon to Ottawa cqdz.ca/en/homeenglish/

2017 Aug 26
From the Baconpalooza website I noticed a possible Preston Street food truck, Pudgyboy's (pudgyboys.com)

2017 Aug 26
Oh yeah, saw them at Baconpalooza last night. They offered bacon oreo donuts, and deep fried pizza on a stick

2017 Aug 27
The Morals Village Hot Pot is going to be one of the restaurants in the strip malls surrounding T & T. Near Bambú. I think there was a pub there.

2017 Aug 30
Mr. Panini sandwich food truck in the parking lot on Preston south of MeNa, 'opening soon'.

2017 Aug 30
Mr. Panini sandwich food truck in the parking lot on Preston south of MeNa, 'opening soon'.

2017 Aug 31
Zak's Cantina opened next to Zak's in the Market. Mexican food, the usual selection of tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas etc. Tried it for the first time last week, was way way WAY better than i was expecting with Zak's as the point of origin. Will totally go back.

2017 Aug 31
The former timothy's at College Square will be a starbucks soon.

2017 Sep 4
Local neighbourhood rumor mill that a new establishment is "taking Flying Banzini's spot. Small plates menu by an award-winning chef; curated list of 20-24 rotating taps (seasonally inspired; e.g., more saisons / sours / goses during summer and heavier offerings during winter) and rare bottle releases; state of the art draught system with 3 temperature-controlled cold rooms (4C, 7C, 12C) and individually calibrated line pressure; bar staff are expected to be certified sommeliers / cicerones; etc..."

Anyone have any more details on that one?

2017 Sep 5
The beer set up seems to be overkill for the space. Is that one tap per table?

2017 Sep 5
They forgot to use the word 'artisinal' at least twice.

2017 Sep 6
I was told there would also be a selection of 'craft' wines - OSoloMeal, does that count in lieu of artisanal?

Also said they would be offering charcuterie; if this means they'll be making their own - as per others on the street - then that will be a second reason to use the word artisanal. :)

2017 Sep 6
Do we have any idea who the award-winning chef is?

2017 Sep 6
Lili Pies on Preston, referenced earlier, actually looks like a Lebanese pie spot.. cheese, zaatar, meat, etc. That's exciting.

2017 Sep 7
Rumour that the now unsurprisingly papered up place on Bank south of Sunnyside formerly occupied by pizza counter 'Dough Bros' is becoming 'Chicken & Roost'.

Rumour further speculates it will be Portuguese style chicken.

Rumour further further speculates i will be there every damn week if it is because this city desperately needs this.

2017 Sep 9
Further news on the Banzini spot

"Former chef of social. Chef Radford. Mediterranean small plates and beer."

2017 Sep 9
"Casa Mexicana" appears to have opened in that odd little strip mall just west of Dicks on Merivale.
Can find nothing about it anywhere.

2017 Sep 10
A place called Africa Slow Food has an 'opening soon' sign on Bronson, near Gladstone

2017 Sep 10
Casa Mexico is at 1489 Merivale rd, used to be passport cafe. I found their website casa-mexico.ca. They have a facebook page as well. Menu looks good, checking it out next weekend.

2017 Sep 11
Tarek Hassan of Gongfu Bao cart will be opening a Gongfu Bao Restaurant on Bank where Aziz and Company is now located: www.facebook.com

2017 Sep 12
Anyone have any idea whats up with the old Blackpepper/Bonkers spot in Hintonburg on Wellington? Been papered up for a good two or three months or so now and had heard that someone from the original Clocktower group would be opening a pub in there pretty quick...but nothin' yet...

2017 Sep 12
From Instagram, I see that Gongfu Bao is opening a brick and mortar restaurant where Aziz and Company is, and that Fiazza Pizza is opening a second location at 205 Richmond where Swiss Pastry used to be.

2017 Sep 13
Blackpeppers spot is owned and will be operated by an ex-Clocktower guy. It will be a neighbourhood drinking spot with good food.

2017 Sep 13
So Bar Lupulus is going in to the old Flying Banzini.

Here's their Twitter bio:

BAR LUPULUS
@barlupulus
Craft beer and natural wine bar serving locally sourced, Mediterranean inspired dishes. 20 rotating taps, tonnes of funky bottles. Opening soon!

Couple of the dudes have been hanging out across the street at The Wood on Wellington and seem pretty cool.

2017 Sep 13
Um. How does someone hanging out at The Wood know anything about good beer?

/zing

2017 Sep 13
An Ethiopian eatery with the word 'Abyssinia' in its name is open on Gladstone, next to The Noodle House between Lebreton and Bell. It's where there was a closed place that had a taped 'x' over it's sign for at least a year.

If/when I pass by again I'll unfuzz the name details..

2017 Sep 14
Subito Sandwiches at Bank and Gladstone opened up last week. Great Di Rienzo style sandwiches, some warm dishes I haven't tried and all at excellent prices. They sell the meats and buns separately as well.

If you live or work in Centretown this is a great lunch or pick up dinner spot.

2017 Sep 14
Wow a great sandwich place a stone's throw from where I live! It looks like I will be spending copious amounts of money there ;)

2017 Sep 14
You'd be surprised who from the local restaurant scene hangs out at The Wood ;)

2017 Sep 17
Cadman's Bagels opening up at the corner of Montreal Rd and Vanier Parkway

2017 Sep 18
Tree Pug, Cadman's has been in the works for at least 8 months now, there seems to be a lot of activity, but very little progress.

2017 Sep 18
Luigi Panini on Merivale turned into Pizza & Pie, but is now Pies & BBQ.
Lebanese pies and bbq chicken. Not what I wanted.

2017 Sep 18
Wait... what?

2017 Sep 19
(Pizza + Pies) x (Pies + BBQ) = Pizza Pies + BBQ Pizza + Pies^2 + BBQ Pies

So who's the Lebanese Chicken Magician?

2017 Sep 19
It's not wholly ridiculous... Cedar, Middle-East Market and Silk Road all do a variety of takeaway foods that include Lebanese pies and bbq chickens. It's just unusual to narrow the counter to just those two items. I dunno, maybe there's a demand for it.

2017 Sep 19
Maybe they were just really shitty at making pizzas.
Who can say?

2017 Sep 20
I think you just solved for x.

2017 Sep 23
I went months ago when they were Pizza & Pie, they were incredibly nice and seemed thankful for business. Got a couple pies and they were tasty. Kind of a shame if they switched, because I know people dig those Lebanese pizzas. I really hope they don't go under, they also said they were going to be making pitas but I haven't had the chance to return yet and check.

2017 Sep 23
I just drove by & the Old Swiss Chalet @ Hampton Park is becoming a East Side Mario's & a Darcy Magee's...

2017 Sep 25
Sounds like Stoneface Dolly's will soon be opening up a new location in the suburbs. Riverside South? Also, saw some work being done in the old Wellington Sandwich Shop on Wellington at Rosemount.

2017 Sep 25
Morning Owl on Rochester re-opened today after many weeks of renovations brought on by a flood.

This is the last week of the season for the Dumpling Park out back.

2017 Sep 26
Burgers on Beechwood has opened up in the spot vacated by Arturo's' which has moved into the spot vacated by Clarkstown Kitchen, which replaced El Meson. . .

2017 Sep 28
The hoarding around the location of Allo Mon Coco at Billings Bridge has finally been removed, after months of pounding, hammering, grinding, more grinding - oh, the grinding! - as if they were building a miniature version of the Taj Mahal in there. It is not yet open, but looks quite beautiful, like a futuristic diner.

2017 Sep 28
The Senate South (same owners/operators as The Senate Sports Tavern on Clarence St) is now open in the old Georgetown Sports Pub - Bank and Belmont in Old Ottawa South.

2017 Sep 28
Re Mon Coco, i can't speak to the quality yet, but damn they did a nice job on the visual.

Clever move... the nearest similar breakfast place is Cora's at Alta Vista n Bank. I'd guess there is definitely a hungry market for what this place will be selling.

Now, whether they are hammered with a massive crowd of low end mall people who sit all day over one cup of coffee and endless refills is another issue.

2017 Sep 29
So today is Paradise Poke's first day in business. I have now been to both this spot and Sensei Burrito. Hope to post reviews soon.

I enjoyed my meals at both spots :)

2017 Oct 12
Another quelque chose macaron place beside Nicastro on George in the Market

2017 Oct 14
'Thanjai authentic South Indian food' setting up in Glebe, on a Third just east of Bank.

2017 Oct 15
Red Pepper Thai-Viet at Bank and Gladstone (next to Whalesbone) is rebranding to a Japanese ramen/sushi place called Hanabi Japanese Cuisine.

2017 Oct 16
Anyone been to check out Charlotte on Elgin St yet?

2017 Oct 16
Wholesale Wayne I live downtown and walk up and down Elgin regularly yet I've never noticed this place. How far down Elgin is it?...

2017 Oct 17
New Shawarma Palace location on Bank, just north of Flora.

2017 Oct 17
PASTA LOVER - it's at 340 Elgin. Here's a quick little run down on Charlotte:

www.narcity.com

And their Instagram:

www.instagram.com

2017 Oct 17
Thanks! It looks like it is next door to or near Mac's milk or whatever is in Boushey's old spot. I will have to look for it on my next trip down Elgin.

2017 Oct 17
I haven't been down there is a while, but it would have to be a Circle K now. Mac's no longer exists.

2017 Oct 18
Strange things are afoot at the circle K

2017 Oct 18
Excellent!

2017 Oct 19
Thanks, James. I was waiting for someone else to do that.
rizak.info/SOUNDS/circlek.mp3

2017 Oct 19
New diner called Spadina Dina looks to be opening on Gladstone @ Spadina in the old corner express spot(about a block away from Merry Dairy). The sign looks to be channeling a little DIY Metallica logo type theme! Maybe it will be a Metal Diner?

Article from August-The store is no longer operational but last time I drove past last week it read opening tues:

kitchissippi.com

2017 Oct 19
There's a micro ice cream (I think that means like dipping dots or something) just opened north of Lisgar on Bank. Can't remember name

2017 Oct 20
It's a Quickie occupying the corner spot where Boushey's was (and only taking up about half or less of the old space.

Mac's still seems to be in transition, there are still plenty of stores that haven't been rebranded.

2017 Oct 20
Waffle Villa opening in Billings Bridge.

www.reddit.com

ARTISINAL waffles, apparently.

...look at ol Billings Bridge gettin all hoity toity with the breakfast options...

2017 Oct 20
Rizak ... I was driving down Merivale and noticed that the Macs at Shillington is still a Macs. No mention of Circle K yet.

2017 Oct 21
The Ledbury-Banff Crips are well known for being waffle aficionados; Waffle Villa should do well.

2017 Oct 23
Score Pizza of Kingston is opening at the Rideau Centre not far from Joey's.

www.scorepizza.ca/about-us

2017 Oct 23
Between these guys and Fiazza opening a new location, it must be pretty good to be a 180-second-pizza-oven sales rep these days.

2017 Oct 23
Kuiadore Izakaya opening soon near South end of Preston, next to Mason-Dixon

kuidaoreizakaya.ca/

2017 Oct 24
Cobs bakery opening in December in Barrhaven at the Strandherd-Woodroffe plaza.

2017 Oct 24
Same Cobs that's in Kingston? If so, good news.

2017 Oct 24
Something called ‘Guru’s Inspired Food Bar’ is opening up in the spot Wellington Sandwhich Shop recently vacated in Hintonburg.

2017 Oct 25
Cobs Bakery is a franchise operation with locations in BC, Sask and ON.
www.cobsbread.com

2017 Oct 25
According to their FB page, Flora Hall Brewing will be open this Friday!
(can you tell I'm excited?)
www.facebook.com

2017 Nov 2
Little Victories Coffee is moving in where the French Baker was in the Glebe (www.instagram.com).

2017 Nov 2
Good for Little Victories but I hope they are still staying open on Wellington. I assume so, but they don't say explicitly.

2017 Nov 21
Anyone know what's going into the former KFC location on Baseline across from Loblaws? They just painted it orange and grey. A&W perhaps?

2017 Nov 21
Orange and grey, huh?

www.centralebergham.com/

2017 Nov 24
I heard Aligrang opening a new location at the former Dick's restaurant.

2017 Nov 24
Alirang???!?!!!!!!

Oh damn that would be SO GREAT.

2017 Nov 25
Word has it that Kanata Noodle House has opened a second location on Carling near March, where The White House used to be. It's a nice large standalone restaurant and perfectly located. The ad on the screen at their original location stated that they're offering a discount (20% if I recall correctly) until the end of December.

2017 Nov 27
Rene Rodriguez's latest venture Orto Trattoria is now open in the Glebe: www.orto.ca/

2017 Nov 28
I'm not sure if that is good or bad news for the Kanata Noodle House. Every restaurant at that location has bombed since it was local hero's. I only hope for the best, and will be by to give them my business.

2017 Dec 1
I can confirm that Alirang is taking over what used to be Dick's on Merivale. The sign is already up over the door and they were taking down the large street side Dick's sign as I went by late this morning.

2017 Dec 1
Food Buddy - do you know if it's a second location? Or are they closing down the one in Sandy Hill?

2017 Dec 1
Cardamom ... sorry, I only saw the activity around the Merivale location and I have not been past the downtown location for quite some time.

2017 Dec 1
Can confirm the former KFC at college square will be a central bergham

2017 Dec 2
New chocolate shop on Bank in Fifth Avenue Court (rumours are that Fifth Avenue Court is to be torn down for... condos).

2017 Dec 2
A friend reports that something called Foreign Cinema is taking over where Ace Mercado was located.

2017 Dec 2
Thanks FB. I'll have to go investigate. Too bad if the SH one closes.

2017 Dec 3
Happy Goat Coffee is opening a location on Elgin at Lewis in the old Starbucks location

2017 Dec 4
I'm happy to report that the downtown Alirang location on Nelson St. is staying put. It's one of our go to options in the area.

2017 Dec 4
The Third (at least that's what I think it's called) has opened where Black Pepper was in Hintonburg. Heard it'll be a very cost friendly local watering hole. Not really sure what their concept is other than that. Two big tvs at the bar, but its not a sports bar.

2017 Dec 5
Mati crudo + charcoal (matiottawa.ca) 428 Preston, Greek and Italian, opening soon (www.instagram.com).

2017 Dec 6
A quick Domain lookup on ForeignCinema.ca domain lists an Ace Mercado co-owner as the owner of the domain, so it looks like although Ace is gone, it is seems to be staying in the family.

2017 Dec 6
Re, Foreign Cinema, little if anything has been changed to the space. There is a similarly named restaurant in SF that seems pretty highly regarded. American cuisine. . . . . . .

2017 Dec 8
Farm Boy in the Rideau Centre will be opening tomorrow! This is the best Christmas present I could ever ask for ;) ottawacitizen.com

2017 Dec 9
The Koven is a satanic burger and poutine place, where Navarra was on Murray.

2017 Dec 10
Just some places I've heard about but haven't seen posted yet:

Captain's Boil opening a new location on Hunt Club:
www.thecaptainsboil.com

Gongfu Bao:
www.facebook.com/GongfuBao/

The Momo Spot: www.facebook.com/themomoSpot/

Miruku:
mirukuottawa.com

2017 Dec 10
The Momo Spot.... Where is this going to be I NEED TO KNOW

2017 Dec 12
An update on Good Eats: They will be closing on December 22 for a Christmas break then re-open on January 8 still in their present location at 388 Albert and under new management. (Their present owner will be retiring on December 22.) They are planning on moving into a new location in May or June of 2018 at a new location which they are hoping will be within a one block radius of where they are now. More info is on their facebook page: www.facebook.com

2017 Dec 13
Re The Momo Spot... as an aside it really helps if one puts a (f%$#@ing) link to their website on their FB page, especially when the web page is the only place that explains that this will be a delivery-only business.

Am intrigued, albeit a little sceptical. I've had momos, and the 'just out of the pot' aspect is pretty great. Not sure whether delivery will impact that. Will have to try.

Re Good Eats a staff member told me the same thing thing last week. So (cautious) YAY!

2017 Dec 14
I too spent a long time trying to use FB to see what was going on with The Momo Spot, and remain a bit baffled. I always look for a website link, and often can't find it, or it doesn't go to a real website (don't people have young relatives who would be keen to set up a website, with menus, hours, etc?). FB, based on time of posting, scrolls all the interesting stuff out of view, and you can spend a lot of time looking for something that isn't there. I don't understand why FB, easily the least useful of all the social media, got picked by restaurant owners as the go-to advertising medium. Twitter, and especially, and surprisingly, Instagram, are by far the best way to get the word out, though of course they take a consistent, but quick, attention to posting.

Dumplings might work well on delivery, as they can take a fair amount of abuse, and even careful re-heating.

2017 Dec 14
I'm looking at improving my MySpace presence.

2017 Dec 15
Go back to Russia.