LF: Drum grater with 3+ drums [General]

2017 Jan 24
I've been searching far and wide for a drum grater with at least 3 drums, like the Paderno World Kitchen one pictured here. So far, the only hits are on Amazon and are well over $100 for a plastic thing.

Locally, I've looked at C.A. Paradis, the Paderno outlet store at Tanger (they told me that Paderno World Kitchen is a European company with different product lines), the Think Kitchen outlet store at Tanger (who had a pretty nice one but with just 2 drums) and numerous big box stores. Special mention to Darcy at Hendrix Restaurant Equipment for taking the time to research their suppliers and then sending this list of options:

www.canadiantire.ca
www.walmart.ca
www.rona.ca

This makes me think I may have to give up and just get one with 2 drums. Can anyone else help find me one with more? Thanks much!

2017 Jan 25
This one has three shreds (well, two shreds and a grate) and two cuts: www.walmart.ca

Amazon has it for cheaper but not in-stock for immediate fulfillment: www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BXNUQ66

There's also this one: www.walmart.ca

2017 Jan 25
Try Russell Food Equipment on Preston.

2017 Jan 26
I have this one, happy with it.

www.amazon.ca

2017 Jan 26
Stokes in Place du Portage seems to have a 3 bladed drum grater

www.stokesstores.com

2017 Jan 26
Interesting, Stewtine! That's the same unit they had at the ThinkKitchen outlet store at Tanger, only that one had only 2 drums. The weird thing here is that the text says 3 drums but the photo only shows 2. Definitely worth looking into!

Some of you suggested hand held rotary graters. I've used them and find them limited to (but extremely good for) chocolate and very hard cheeses. The larger stand models have deeper chutes and larger cranks, enabling them to work well for potatoes, beets, celeriac, etc, not to mention epic quantities of cheese.

2017 Jan 28
Wouldn't a food processor (cuisinart, etc) serve the same purpose plus?

2017 Jan 28
OSoloMeal, that's quite possible and might explain why these drum graters aren't too popular on this side of the Atlantic -- most people have food processors! My own food processor is a terrible 5-in-1 contraption that I bought in my naive 20's (see photo, from www.wikiwand.com). Maybe the best thing I can do is seek a replacement for that.

Can anyone share a recommendation for a food processor? :-)

2017 Jan 29
If you can find an old Braun on Kijiji, pick it up. I got ours that way years ago, and it is still going. It has to have the grating wheels that go on the top, though. There's something about how the Germans make motors.

2017 Jan 29
Rizak - Do you mean this kind of old Braun model ?

If so, there are a few these on Kijiji (at various Canadian locations) but none currently in Ottawa/Gatineau.

Here is the cheapest one in Calgary.

www.kijiji.ca

Here is the Weber smoker I bought on Kijiji from Calgary. I found a person (also on Kijiji) to drive it to Ottawa. ottawafoodies.com

Tip: Here is a (hidden) link that allows one to do a Canada wide Kijiji search.

www.kijiji.ca/b-canada/l0

2017 Jan 29
Yes, exactly that one. It has 3 speeds, and one of them is OFF.
You can't kill that motor and the entire thing is built to withstand a high-velocity bullet impact.

Okay, maybe not ... but it's damn tough. Heavy, too.
"Weight is sign of reliability."
- Boris, the bullet dodger (Snatch)

I had the main blades sharpened at KJP Hardwood (my candy store) after I bought it (not that they really needed it) and it just goes nonstop.

2017 Jan 29
If you have a KitchenAid mixer, they have an attachment that seems to do everything you're looking for. www.ebay.ca

2017 Jan 29
I hated my Kitchen Aid attachements and eventually sold them all off. They do a half-assed job of every single task they are designed for (e.g grater does a half-assed job of grating)

2017 Jan 29
I do have a KitchenAid mixer and while it looks nice on the counter, I think it's rather an overrated piece of hardware. And my mid 1990's vintage Braun 5-in-1 food processor is a rattly piece of junk with a poor design that causes bits of cheese to ball up while grating. My fear is that this sub-optimal grating behaviour is a trait of all "grating wheel" designs and might mean that no food processor is up to what I'm seeking. 😱

2017 Jan 29
For reference, this is the one I remember my Mom having when I was a kid. (pic from www.worthpoint.com)

Large drums for minimal clogging and less curvature to the grate, suction to counter, Swiss made, good lever arm...

2017 Jan 29
The current high end Zyliss drum grater is a thing of beauty, made of aluminum and sporting 4 drums, including one specific to grating apples for Birchermüesli (or carrots for carrot cake). Unfortunately, the price to get it shipped here looks like more than $200 after shipping and custom fees: www.tenera.ch

Why can't we have nice things in North America?

The picture is from www.swissproductsonline.com

2017 Jan 30
As this thread keeps coming back I continue to wonder what's wrong with a box grater?

2017 Jan 30
Andy, you obviously suffer from a lack of kitchen gadget obsessiveness. . . . . .

2017 Jan 30
S/He who dies with the most kitchen toys wins.

@Warby re food processor - I'm a fan of the original Cuisanart. At the Bay you can get one that's entirely dishwasher happy except for the base, and includes a mini-processor for fast/easy/reallyfast chops/grinds.

Tho you may want to check this out:

www.amazon.ca

...five drums, integrated storage, $40.

2017 Jan 30
"Why can't we have nice things in North America?"

Because they are not conducive to our disposable society.

2017 Jan 30
I looked at these a while back.

My conclusion was to stay away from the T-fal Fresh Express. Over 20% of Amazon.ca reviews are 1 or 2 stars and it's really trashed here. www.productreview.com.au

2017 Jan 30
.... but the T-fal was a bit better than the Cuisinart HFP-300. And Cuisinart usually makes some half decent stuff. www.amazon.com

Here is one for sale in Kanata for $25 ($349USD MSRP) www.kijiji.ca