New Openings 2016 (continued) [General]

2016 Apr 17
TOPIC continued from Forum - New Openings 2016

For those of you who are Farm Boy fans, they are opening a store on McRae at Scott this summer. Can't wait as I live about 2 minutes on foot from there.

2016 Apr 17
Fairouz (fairouz.ca) open on Somerset (between Bank and O'Connor).

Vanitea Room (www.thevanitearoom.com/home) open on Somerset at corner of Bay.

2016 Apr 18
Fairouz menu looks really good.
I remember talking to someone who worked at the other Fairouz quite a while back.
My mother is also obsessed with Middle eastern food and eats at least one middle eastern meal every day- I will be checking out the new Fairouz with her Thursday night and will remember to take pictures!

2016 Apr 18
Papered windows announcing Moulin de Provence at Queen and Metcalfe (in the office building where Gilmore Reproductions was in the past).

2016 Apr 19
Looks like we're getting a Chipotle!

imgur.com/hopHSBa

2016 Apr 19
Awesome, I love Chipotle!

2016 Apr 19
How does Chipotle compare to Mucho Burrito ?

2016 Apr 19
Wooohooo E. coli for everybody!!!

2016 Apr 19
Caper: Better than Mucho, maybe not as good as Gringo (where bonuses include: local business, no freezers, no microwaves, not stingy when you ask for extra green stuff).

OSM: Love you, but I'm kinda missing the thumbs-down button for that low-hanging-fruit grab. Good produce is generally turd-adjacent, and when you're working on any kind of enormous scale like Chipotle is, 0.001% risk means a handful of people might puke their pants because someone didn't wash some lettuce, and it won't be written off as an isolated incident. Personally, I'll take it over innumerable slow 'you can't prove it was the RoundUp that did it' long-term colon witherings.

2016 Apr 20
I've been to Chipotle in Toronto. It is pretty good but still fast-foody. I have never beento Mucho Burrito. I've been to the Dirty Gringo in Ogdensburg and would say it is a bit better in that it is less fast-foody.

2016 Apr 20
@flandroid - you do know about this...

gawker.com

www.nytimes.com

www.eater.com

...yes?

It's over, they dealt with it, the CDC declared peace, great, but not exactly isolated cases.

...and i like Chipotle.

2016 Apr 20
Osolo, do they have Chiptpotle in Russia?

2016 Apr 20
Chipottle is the opiate of the masses.

2016 Apr 20
@OSM Yeah, I was aware. I was being pretty tongue-in-cheek (I thought 'puke their pants' might give it away), even though I still think it's rare enough to call it isolated when you think of the numbers involved, even if it's 'widespread' for a brief period. Flares, not epidemics.

Remember the big peanut butter scare a few years ago? People freaked. the. heck. out. For a few weeks, anyway.

2016 Apr 20
I went to Wassup Dog earlier in the week. I had the Canada Eh dog and the Say Cheese poutine, with a canned drink for the combo price of $20.
Not worth it.

Don't get me wrong. The dog was okay, and the poutine was passable, but for $20 I kind of expect you to hit it out of the park. The Lester's hot dog on a standard, white bun with 3 cheese curds, 3 fried and a drizzle of gravy didn't satisfy they way I had hoped. The 3 cheese poutine was just meh. The drink was fine.

Am I wrong to want to be wowed by a new place that is supposed to be trying a new thing? Are gourmet hot dogs still a new thing? Again, it's kind of hipstery and cute as any other business that started out in that location. My opinion is that it won't last.

If I want to go that far from Tunney's Pasture for lunch, I'll go in the other direction and have some great food from Bite This.

2016 Apr 20
I love me some Bite This- and its across town from me. Are they open for the season yet?

2016 Apr 20
Oh, yeah. I dropped in a couple of weeks ago.

2016 Apr 21
Hintonburger (Wassup Dog owner) facing challenges
www.metronews.ca

2016 Apr 21
The first rule of the con: never give the money back.

2016 Apr 21
So instead of paying it back they used it for the hot dog venture... interesting since a new restaurant tend to loose money the first 12-18 months and they are pricing ot higher than Japadogs or the other one in Vancouver but it does not seem to be as interesting

2016 Apr 21
I also went to Whassup Up. I agree, I think it was good, but not great. And for the price not as good as it should have been.

lifeisbetterred.com

2016 Apr 21
Sweet lord, when I saw that photo of the plain-jane hot dog and standard commercial bakery bun, side of poutine and a canned drink, then the price 20 dollars, Are You Fricking Kidding Me ?!?!?!? Any chip stand the same meal is 10 dollars Max. It's not like this is a "gourmet" experience. It's ordinary store bought stuff resold at an outrageous markup! I guess if people are willing to pay it, these guys are smart! I think people will see through this cash grab. 20 dollars!!!

2016 Apr 21
@ Hungry Pete re "Osolo, do they have Chiptpotle in Russia? "

In Russia, Chipotle have YOU.

2016 Apr 21
Sign in the window of the Sausage Kitchen- Deli, opening soon.
I prefer the line from Casablanca-go back to BULGARIA.

2016 Apr 22
Went to Fairouz tonight and the food was quite good.
But the price for the main dishes is a bit high.
I know they are going for modern and fancy middle eastern food,but still most appetizers were $12.
The Halloumi cheese had some fancy beet emulsion,some apple and verjus- but the cheese part was quite small for 2 people.

The lamb neck fallafel- turns out that it is 50% fallafel and 50% lamb neck meat.
I do not eat lamb,but my mother who is a vegetarian-or so she says decided to try it.
She enjoyed the fallafel very much.
I thought they were good and fresh,but I still like the non-meat fallafel and there was none on the menu.
But then, if some place is gonna charge $12 for 5pc fallafel and they do not even include any pita bread?
The menu said $2 per peice of pita bread- and I was told they make their own.
The pita bread was great but the rounds were around 6" each and more thick like the Indian Naan bread.
-I also think when you are spending $100 on food a couple extra pita should be included.
The desserts were very nicely presented.
Before I forget, they seem to use a lot of fresh pomegranate seeds in a lot of the dishes.

*I have at least 20 nice pictures of the food,but not sure how to post them all here. I will prob put them online or on Facebook.

-some interesting notes: they have hibiscus gel for some dishes, tahini is a homemade one with dill, the pita bread has some herb in it and I forgot to a sk what it was.
My mother spent most of the meal talking to the server and random staff,so I did not get to ask much. And when I did ask 1 question, my mother got annoyed (she does this to everyone).
And before I forget,I was still hungry when I left. I have had some stomach issues lately and can not eat a large meal at once, while my mother she ate 3/4 of the food and did not notice my grazing at all.
If you are 2 hungry people it can get quite costly.

I would return, just not too often as I eat more vegetable middle eastern dishes (like the cold dishes from Cedar's grocery ;P

2016 Apr 23
I so agree with Scrabbies--that $20 meal looked terrible. I would be angry if i had to pay that for uappetizing food (Lesters!). Okay and passable are fine when you have paid under 9 or 10 dollars but $20 is unacceptable. Go to IKEA for a dog and a soft drink seems like a better deal. Guess I am a cheap skate but I will not be going here.

2016 Apr 23
I overpay so you don't have to.
Seriously. I saw the prices and knew it would be high, but wanted to do a decent review with all of the variables. It could have been fantastic. I so wanted it to be fantastic. Alas ...

You're welcome.

2016 Apr 24
Hey, don't knock Lester's. In its heyday, Nate's on Rideau built their reputation on chucking Lester's smoked briskets in a steam box, machine-slicing it onto Rideau rye with a smear of mustard and calling it a sandwich. For decades. Damn fine sandwich.

And most slaw-mustard dog joints in Quebec that send tourists running to Yelp use their wieners. Because they're good. Course, a lot of those casse-croûtes still charge under $2 for an all-dressed (maybe a hair over for toastés, two and a quarter?) and still manage to pay the rent, but I'm no economist.

2016 Apr 24
Since we are talking pricrs here- the pic of the two Fairouz dishes, the Halloumi cheese triangle was around 3" long, 2" wide and 1/2" thick and cost $13.
-there was no bread included with it,pita bread was $2 extra per piece.

The pita bread was also small around 4" in size-so really not big at all.

The lamb neck falafel you got 5 balls, the size of a golf ball, again no bread included- just the 5 falafel that I was told were made from 50% ground lamb neck meat and 50% of whatever they normally make vegetarian falafel from.

-the "spicy radish" that was 2 thin slices of watermellon radish with a spicy sauce on them.
The dill tahini was drizzled on top.
-again no pita bread for this dish,I did not bother to ask for any,but could have paid the $2 extra for one more piece.

So, $25 plus tax and tip for the two dishes above.
These are supposed to be sharing appetizers.
I am very observant of the size of dishes, as I used to have to note the size,taste and temperature of dishes as part of my old job.
So, now going just by eye I am pretty good at that,if not I ask about the food too.

-my mother is "lucky" that I can not eat out much and can only have tiny bites of food (meaning I eat at home mostly,as I am so slow) and can only eat super slow or else choke on my food (not fun at all).

I'd say this was enough food for 1 person,the cheese app should be bigger.
They should include some pita bread and not be so stingy.

I will post of larger review online w pics,I did not have time to give the manager too much comment about the food as my mother (as usual) was talking the whole time, then rushed me out of the restaurant.
The only comment I got in was they should have vegetarian falafel,I do not like meat ones.

I'm not trying to sound mean/rude about my mother- but eating out with her- you are being talked at the whole time, try to interupt her and she gets annoyed.
I actually texted my sister to ask if my mother is always like this lately and my sister said that my mother is always like this now.
(she was not like this before,I am not in the same city as her).

I think this will make me enjoy my meals by myself much more this week!

2016 Apr 24
I agree that Whassup Dog is mighty underwhelming and overpriced. They realllllllllly skimp out on the gravy for their poutine and he overall experience was very MEH.

Funny thing too - cash only. Considering that story about the Hintonburger loan, really makes you wonder.

2016 May 4
So it looks like Mexicali Rosa's is back at Dows Lake. They've taken over the spot that has been Baja Grill and Guadala Harry's. Kind of a "whatever" new opening as Im sure it's the same old as that's been there the last few years....

2016 May 4
Hillariously, it looks like they just took the old sign out of storage for the sign board. It colour matches and everything.

2016 May 4
Oh. Mexis is back. Woo. Hoo.
Dammit Dows Lake, just stop it already.

2016 May 5
OCCO Kitchen's Innes sit down restaurant apparently opened in April already. Decent menu at different price points and seem to have some decent craft beers.

www.occokitchen.com/#!occo-kitchen-innes/c13a

2016 May 5
Has anyone heard anything about what will be going into the bottom of the Taggart building on Rosemount/Wellington/Carruthers in Hintonburg?

IIRC, at one time there was talk of a Starbucks?

2016 May 6
There's been rumors about a Starbucks coming to Hintonburg for years now...

2016 May 6
If Starbucks opens maybe people will start going there and leave me in peace at Ministry of Coffee

2016 May 6
Not if you want it to stay open. :)

2016 May 6
Yeah, I now there have been rumours, but I'd heard one about a year ago that sounded more solid and was wondering if anyone knew anything. ;)

2016 May 10
Craft Beer Market at Lansdowne is now open!

2016 May 10
Just remember that Craft Beer Market isn't the only place in the market that has good food and great beer. Crust and Crate is there as well. I really need to check that place out. Andrew Craig (from Major Craig's chutney fame) manages that spot and has been begging me to stop in.

2016 May 10
They seem a little late to the party but I'll give Craft a try. I've read all about them. In the 'don't forget about category' Jack Astors fits the bill in Lansdowne as well. Wouldn't have gone except for the crowds everywhere before RB's games. They deliver on the local beer. TONS of local stuff which is what I'm into. Aside: I've started staying away from the term 'Craft Beer' cause I don't really know what it means. But I know I like to support the local guys whether it's 'Craft' or not.

2016 May 10
I thought Crust and Crate was just Gabriel's trying their hand at the boutique pizza game.

Pie prices seem pretty reasonable, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

2016 May 10
I really like the Local fwiw.

2016 May 10
Crust n Crate is very good za.
And the grilled shisheido peppers appetizer is very wrong. In a good way.

Industrial is also good, btw.

2016 May 13
Simple Coffee and Wine opened up on Richmond right by Island Park. It was called something else before opening and seemed to be sitting around ready for a while.

2016 May 14
Sansotei Ramen is opening Monday, at 153 Bank St.

www.instagram.com

2016 May 14
I was really hoping to be enthralled by this place - near where I live - good food and wine in small sampling plates. It sounded wonderful. I've been there twice and hope these are just opening pains but...

The wine isn't particularly nice but at $16 for 9 oz it should be at least as good as the Jackson Triggs from the Royal Oak. We only tried a bit of the food but so far I have the same reaction, alright but not worth the price.

We may go back because it is close but unless the service and offering improve I won't try it many more times.

2016 May 15
Mary....Not sure what place you are talking about.....

2016 May 16
"This place"....
Now I need to know.

2016 May 16
It's the place near the Royal Oak that serves wine and food.

2016 May 17
Oh THAT place.

2016 May 17
The person who runs it is maybe great.

2016 May 19
vendor 2709 - coming soon to Ottawa!

2016 May 20
Do you mean L.A. Boiling?

2016 May 20
No, OSM, that's a riot!
But seriously, who wants to eat at a resto where "Our Food served in a FOOD SAFE poly bag"?

2016 May 20
Andy, it's a "thing" apparently. All the rage in Toronto right now. Here's another one: www.thecaptainsboil.com (soon coming to Montreal and Vancouver as well)

2016 May 20
What goes around comes around I guess. Some of a certain age may remember the horrors of boil in the bag food. Then again, I ate PC mussels that way the other night and rather enjoyed them.

2016 May 20
I'm not familiar with boil in a bag foods generally, but the picture of 3 bags of food being plunked on my placemat or plate just doesn't appeal to me visually. I don't care how ùntrendy I am.

2016 May 20
I don't believe the seafood is boiled in a bag. They *serve* it in the bag. Likely to allow them to shake it up with your choice of seasoning and to keep it appropriately warm when serving. Seems quite practical to me! The idea is that you roll up your sleeves and dig in, clambake style. Definitely not fine dining, and certainly not for everyone's taste. :)

2016 May 22
I always see some Indian heat/boil in bag foods and they seem like they are quite good and supposed to be all natural.

Also I remember when there was the weight watchers or nutrisystem diet meals and those did not seem too good.
My dad tried that diet plan for a while and there was stuff like cabbage rolls, chicken something-did not seem to appealing.

2016 May 24
i meant this.... www.laboilingseafood.com/ .
No interwub hits for 'L.A. Boil'.

2016 May 24

2016 May 24
I cannot un-see that domain name as Lab Oil Seafood. They probably should have used some dashes.

Is it supposed to be L.A. as in Los Angeles, or LA (no dots) as in Louisiana?

2016 May 24
The website says L.A. - but then talks about the food being from the Southern States!

2016 May 25
Crawfish boil with corn, potatoes and sausage is a very Cajun thing.. great to enjoy in New Orleans. Even 10 years ago a few restaurant in Silicon Valley were springing up to do seafood boils..

Where can one find fresh or frozen crawfish in ottawa

2016 May 25
I used to love to order that at Big Daddy's Crab Shack. Alas.

2016 May 25
FT, I think (not 100% sure) that I saw live ones recently at T & T.

2016 May 29
There is a new soup restaurant opening on Bank st in the Glebe, where the Burger's place was (near Glebe meat market, same side of the street).

I spoke to the owner today and it is the same people who have a soup stand/place in World Exchange Plaza- Soupman I think is what they are called.

They were giving out samples of a red pepper soup that was chilled today and a italian wedding soup with chicken and meatballs.
I was told all their soups are made from scratch

They are keeping the location at World Exchange and expanding to Bank st.
Was told they will also have sandwiches and other food for sale.

-I actually worked doing food prep at Big Daddy's Nepean location for a bit, years ago (when I was in high school).

Oysters were super fresh, aligator meat came frozen, so did calamari.
One of their dipping sauce was a mix of ketchup, mayo, garlic powder....
The bread pudding used day old or old bread from a bakery, pecan pie was made from scratch-they never used premade pie crusts there.

2016 Jun 1
Bar Robo is open on Somerset, right at the arch to Chinatown (where Raw Sugar used to be).

This post is a little self-serving, but I'll give my impressions so far.

The Dragonlady and I were there Monday after closing to do a little product demo with the owners and really got to talk to them about what they're doing with the place. It's kind of a unique idea that I really find appealing.

They do coffee and cocktails, and what they call 'haute concession' food. Hockey rink favourites, but with an upscale twist. They weren't open at the time, so I didn't get to try anything. I will tomorrow night when we go back to play some more, for sure.

Their bartender has been using my bitters to make some interesting cocktails since he was at Mello's. He's got a good feel for flavours, for sure.

What I really love is their cold-brew coffee. This stuff is definitely hi-test. No bitterness, just pure goodness. I'd never had cold-brew before. What a difference. I added a bit of their house-made burnt cinnamon simple syrup and it is to die for.

To. Die. For.

I hope to put up a proper listing once I've tried a few things off the menu. They also do sandwiches and pastries during the day.

ottawamagazine.com

2016 Jun 2
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what this means. It's next to the Giant Tiger on Wellington.

"Opening in less than two years."

That leads me to believe it is being opened by the buy who started Fauna.

2016 Jun 2
Yes, that's exactly it.

2016 Jun 2
DesBrisay dishes it out at the New Fairouz...

ottawamagazine.com

I can still remember lunches at the old Fairouz and I'm hopeful for the re-invention

2016 Jun 2
I love Anne Desbrisay's writing, she's my favourite. Here's her piece on Sansotei Ramen.

ottawamagazine.com

Can't wait to try it! I wasn't a fan of Ginza on Elgin, way too fatty and salty for a bowl of soup.

2016 Jun 2
I think my brother said that my younger niece has a summer job at Sansotei Ramen..

2016 Jun 11
Farm Boy on McRae is opening June 23.

2016 Jun 11
Farm Boy on McRae is opening June 23.

2016 Jun 12
Nice. I saw the signs driving past and it would be a nice addition