Worst food? [Food/Vendor]

2006 Dec 1
On the I Deal Coffee page is an account of my encounter with the hippie muffin of doom (no folks, not the recreational kind either) where I nominated it as the Worst Thing I've Had In My Mouth for 2006.

Since 2006 is almost over, let's hear it....what's the worst thing you ate (or in my case attempted to eat) this year?

Go!

2006 Dec 1
Ha! This would have been super easy to answer last year: the undercooked turkey burger from The Works (Westboro) that gave me salmonella poisoning.

For this year, I think it was the undercooked fried fish from Nate's Express. I ordered their fish and chips for take-out. The fish was fried from frozen but wasn't done right -- it was hot and crispy on the outside, but cool and raw on the inside. I quite enjoyed it, but didn't eat most of the raw part for fear of getting sick. Hmmm, if I kind of enjoyed it does it qualify as "worst?" ;-)

2006 Dec 2
That's tough. While I've eaten quite a few things that I didn't really CARE for, or was dissapointed with, I'm pressed to find anything that was genuinely DISGUSTING.

I'm going to throw my vote towards the cold poached trout bathed in aspic that we had to make for school. Beleive me it was OVERFLOWING with cold gelatinous trouty-ness. Note: I hate trout anyways, so this one was really nasty for me.

There was also a trout bisque which had blended up trout heads in it which I was not thrilled by.

That being said, neither one made me sick or anything, so I guess I luck out for this year.

2006 Dec 2
The cold trout aspic and the trout bisque sound positively *delicious*! But then I like trout...

I just had an idea. Phospic! Aspic made with PHO. You could even suspend the rice noodles in it to give it that 70's "jell-o salad" charm. Need a quick lunch? Just open your fridge and carve off a wedge of Phospic! Think there's a market for this out there? Who cares, as long as I like it! ;-)

2006 Dec 2
Well, we have made a lobster consume gelatin terrine, which might be right up your alley...

2006 Dec 3
Hmmm, I LOVE trout, but aside from perhaps in a salad I would probably not enjoy it cold. And gelatinous doesn't seem to be a happy word when applied to food as a descriptive.

Anyway, this thread is also on egullet entitled "Worst thing you've had in your mouth 2006". Check it out if you're hungry for more tales of gastronomic woe.

2006 Dec 6
Hey Mousseline I'm an egulleter too (and you all should be: www.egullet.org)

I have to say most of the Wild Oat's savoury goods make me gag. But the absolute worst thing I've had would have to be the laura secord Pot of GOld tropical fruit caramel. Who dreamt this up? Who imagined it would be good. Who tasted it and gave it a passing grade?

2006 Dec 9
I don't recall a particular "worst food" this year, but i do have a "worst meal" and it wasn't caused by the food (which was ordinary) but rather by the Red wine.

It was in Italy, over a month ago.. at some little family restaurant. The meal was going fine.. nothing special though, as the Gnocchi with truffles and the sausages were OK, but really not what i had hoped for.. and then when we finish the "pitcher" of red wine, we notice about 12 fruit flies at the bottom of the pitcher.

I've probably eaten way worse in my life, but i do NOT want to see that when i'm having a good evening, especially for the price we had to pay.
Let's just say we left there quite disappointed.

The other meals we had on the trip were mostly VERY good to Excellent.. that was THE bad experience.

:)

2006 Dec 14
At first I couldn't really come up with a real bad meal I'd had this year. But as I prepare to head out to Alberta to visit my grandparents over the holidays, I am reminded of a couple. At the Beaverlodge Roadhouse (or some similar name, I can't quite recall) which was the inexplicably popular restaurant in that town. The place is a motel restaurant in a small town in northern Alberta and I'm honestly not sure if the food got worse every time I ate there or if was just my imagination.

The last time I ate there, though, was just after they had pared down their menu in a switch to a buffet, overpriced and noxious smelling. All that was left on the menu was chicken fingers, hamburgers, a steak sandwich and fries. I opted to go with the special, fettucini alfredo. I should have known better when I was asked what my choice of potato with that would be. I opted out of the potato, too stunned to ask about garlic bread. When it arrived it looked like something that had been purchased in a box, microwaved and then left to dry for a couple hours under a heat lamp. It tasted worse.

2006 Dec 15
I thought I was a lover of ALL types of food until, during an extended visit to Hawii in the 90s, I tried Poi. It is a tuber native to Hawaii and is eaten as a staple by the indigenous Hawaiians (all three of them :) ). You cook it, mash it up, it turns purple, it has no taste and literally has the consistency of Le Page glue.

2006 Dec 15
Has anyone ever had ludafisk? I have heard tales and am actually afraid to try! (not that I know anywhere in Ottawa to get it) I believe it is Scandinavian and soaked in lye. Lye! I'm told if you can get past the smell then you will enjoy. Anyone dared?

2006 Dec 15
Love to Cook: I've read that poi tastes amazing with Spam. No joke. Apparently that is why Hawaii is the leading consumer of Spam in the world. Weird.

2006 Dec 15
You know, l actually could can see how that could be, Food is Hot ! Yes, strange as it may seem, that pile of sodium we call Spam is considered a delicacy in Hawaii. You can buy it at any roadside vendor (similar to Ottawa's Chip Wagon). I tried both the Fried Spam and Poi but not together. Well, paint a big 'L' on my forehead. :)

2006 Dec 15
Telly, I was wondering about lutefisk too, just a few days ago. I added it as an orphaned ("desperately seeking") food item (Lutefisk). Let's see if anyone knows where to buy it around here!

2006 Dec 18
It will be interesting to see if it's here in Ottawa, but I still don't think I can try it!

2006 Dec 18
I think you just missed your chance! The Canadian Nordic Society at 240 Sparks Street
(www.canadiannordicsociety.com/) takes orders for 1.75 lb frozen packages of lutefisk (price was approx. $15.00) and delivery was mid-November. Maybe they have a few kicking around still. Mmm ~ near expired lutefisk. You may have to buy a CNS membership to order but then you could attend one of their many luncheons and (perhaps) enjoy...lutefisk.

2008 Oct 12
As I am of Norwegian ancestry on my father's side, I have tried lutefisk at the family reunion.
It was odd! It was white-ish grey, and had the texture of soft tofu except you could just barely detect the last hints of flaky fishiness. It tasted about like it looked - not quite fishy. Not quite jello-ey.
I have often wondered if it is in anyway reminiscent of a Spanish dish made of cod that has been dried and preserved in salt, and then is rehydrated and cooked til it is like goo... Bacalhau - and today Wikipedia tells me "The essential ingredient, salted dried codfish, usually comes from Norway (Bacalhau da Noruega"
Anyway for the truly curious amongst you let me give you this cautionary note: "When cooking and eating lutefisk, it is important to clean the lutefisk and its residue off of pans, plates, and utensils immediately. Lutefisk left overnight becomes nearly impossible to remove. Sterling silver should never be used in the cooking, serving or eating of lutefisk, which will permanently ruin silver. Stainless steel utensils are recommended instead." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk
Still want to try it?

2008 Oct 12
^^ yes, more than ever :-) and sustromming too!

2008 Oct 12
Oh, me too! You had me at "white-ish grey...and the texture of soft tofu."
A food that's just a step away from being a bar of soap? Mmm, I'm there! Uh...not. :)

I had a very horrifying experience jigging for cod...well, it was what came OUT OF the cod AFTER jigging that was shocking. And I was told that what happened was quite common.
The result? Cod is on my short DO NOT EAT (ever) list.

2008 Oct 15
Having lived in Seattle for several years, I have tried lutefisk. I do not wish to repeat this experiment.

As for the most disgusting food I've eaten this year, that's easy to answer. My boyfriend was being opening minded and trying all the food I cook/bake. He's used to....let's say lower quality food. His palate has now moved upscale. I thought it was fair, particularly after a lot of prodding from him, to try fast food. I haven't had fast food hamburger type food since I was a kid. It just grosses me out too much.
So I expanded my mind and went to Wendy's with him. He swore as fast food goes, this is some of the best. It was truly vile. The items didn't even taste like the foods they looked like. I couldn't even get a third of the way through anything. Ugh.

2008 Oct 15
I too tried lutefisk once, expecting a salt cod like experience .... Wrong !!!

It was enough to gag a goat.

I think I would prefer rotted Limburger cheese.

Speaking of Limburger, The bacterium used to ferment Limburger cheese is Brevibacterium linens. The same bacterium is found on human skin and is partially responsible for foot odor. Yumm Yumm.

2008 Oct 20
CC - that is the best tidbit that I've heard in a long time. I'm so pleased that Limburger smells like feet because of smelly-feet bacteria! Bwah hah hah!