Hintonburg - Pub Food? [General]

2014 Jan 15
I am tired of all the gastro-style pubs. I miss the spots where you can get a great beer and burger (veg for me) for reasonable price. Heading to Irene's on the weekend, which seems to be the last of its kind of pub. Is there anywhere in Hintonburg/Preston that serves food similar to Irene's? The only place remotely like it I can think of is the Rochester Pub.

Will this be the next big thing? A throw back to the Ottawa pub scene of the 90s? Also, what happened to pitchers of beer? If everyone at the table is ordering the same beer, no one offers pitchers any more. Is that faux pas in the craft beer scene?

2014 Jan 15
Carleton Tavern, Royal Oak, Daniel O'Connell's, The Wood, further west there's Whispers.

2014 Jan 15
I went to the Carleton and asked the waitress what was good to eat. She suggested I go to the nearby Thai place. No joke.

2014 Jan 15
Ugh, Royal Oak is awful and last time in the draft selection was bad. Never been to the Wood, it is too far west for walking home after.

Is O'Connell's part of a chain?

I do go to the Carleton, but not to eat.

2014 Jan 15
TPD - avoid the Jamaican patties. Everything else is very pedestrian. I do like the monster burger, though!

2014 Jan 15
HFF - O'Connell's is owned by Fil's & West Park bowling.

2014 Jan 15
Right, I think I forgot that. I've been to Fil's a few times for greasy breakfast/lunch, but not O'Connell's.

Maybe Irene's should just expand to one of the empty restaurant spaces in Hintonburg. Or buy one of the for sale spots listed on commercial mls listings.....

2014 Jan 15
I definitely have a soft spot for Irene's, The Rochester and Quinn's...

2014 Jan 15
Not sure if you can call it 100% pub food, but I do like The Prescott. As everyone knows - they have a mean meatball sandwich.

What about Pubwells?

2014 Jan 15
Do O'Connell's and Fil's share the kitchen-I like Fils.
Is the The Black Pepper too trendy/hipster?
I've never been, but a friend hosts the jam there.

2014 Jan 15
HP - Yes, O'Connell's shares the kitchen with Fil's.

2014 Jan 15
black pepper is far from hipster/trendy

2014 Jan 15
Skip The Wood, the food is not good and neither is the service

2014 Jan 15
I don't know Irene's but I just got back from the Carleton and big thumbs up to them for pub food! And they serve Beau's now too!

The Wood doesn't have a single microbrew last time I was there a couple months ago. Big thumbs down to them.

2014 Jan 15
I believe, with the Carleton, the night of the week has a lot to do with the quality of the pub fare. ;)

2014 Jan 15
Quinns! If you're willing to travel to Irene’s Quinn’s is just slightly south over the bridge

2014 Jan 16
I also vote for Quinns. Homemade amazing burgers. Daniel O'Connells, The Oak, and The Wood share more than location- bad food straight their freezer to your plate. Whispers is marginally better. I find Prescott food to be okay, and they certainly serve pitchers, but poor selection. Less Pub-y but Corner Bar and Grill has decent food and great microbrew selection. I've heard good things (good cheap food and $5 pints) about Pour Boy Pub on Somerset in Centretown, but have yet to try.

2014 Jan 16
Thanks! I figured that is the case with O'Connells/Oak/Wood. Boring, bland food is boring.

2014 Jan 16
i know it's not in the hood, but my two favourite good food pubs are chez lucien and the manx

2014 Jan 16
Just to pipe in - the Wood doesn't have great food at all, but it's not terrible. The beer selection is decent enough, it's lively and the service is usually quite friendly. I enjoy sitting at the bar there whereas I find the Oak / O Connels just kinda depressing and the food horrid.

If your feeling real adventurous go to the Vibe lounge and hit the hooka.

2014 Jan 18
Thumbs up for Quinns.

2014 Jan 18
Quinn's also has ABC beer!

2014 Jan 18
They own ABC beer.

2014 Jan 21
Pubwells has some good menu items