Pre-washed greens anywhere? [Food/Vendor]

2013 Feb 23
I know that they tend to go "south" faster than unwashed greens, but I'll be damned if I can't bring myself to triple wash all my kale and other such delicious greenery in the massive amounts that I need. Call me a rabbit or green-starved, but I am just plain tired of washing it.

Other than spinach, has anybody found a place in Ottawa that sells prewashed (but not frozen) greens? I've only seen them raw, canned (food basics) and frozen (loblaws) but I've yet to see them packaged like one finds spinach.

Any tips, fellow foodites?

2013 Feb 23
Costco

2013 Feb 25
Thanks, but I don't have (or know anyone) with a Costco membership.
Has anybody seen them anywhere else?

2013 Feb 26
I could have sworn that I saw them in the larger Loblaws/YIGs, and Farm Boy, too. You often find arugula, mesclun, and mâche packaged up.

2013 Feb 26
Metro Island Park

2013 Feb 26
PC Organics (at Loblaw or YIG) packaged greens are all washed and, you mention kale...they've just introduced packaged Baby Kale and Kale, Chard, and Spinach Mix. Also washed.

2013 Feb 26
Oh my god I don't know how I missed the kale tubs!!!
Thank you everyone!

2013 Mar 6
I've always wondered whether these were really any cleaner, and as it turns out the answer is not only "no", but also they may be dirtier.

Parasites found in pre-washed lettuce :
www.ctvnews.ca

2013 Mar 6
I read pre-washed to mean dirt/grit-free. Hopefully. Produce that is handled picking, packaging and transporting it translates to a bottom line that by eating it, I am taking a small risk - and, in the article sited above, a large risk. Washed? Ditto.
Signed, Living on the edge eating lots of salads.

2013 Mar 6
I'd heard before that veg is a much bigger source of food borne illness than meat. A bit of googling and I think this data from the CDC confirms it

wwwnc.cdc.gov

2013 Mar 6
I use pre-weashed all the time. Not dead yet.

That said, some of the vendors at the Landsdowne/Brewer Farmer's Market sell sacks of pesticide-free, organically grown, virgin massaged, holy water baptised, hugged-and-read-stories-before-bed-every-night pre-washed lettuce.

You get less than what you get in a box of Loblaws/Farm Boy pre-washed, but all moral, ethical, hygenic, emotional and social issues aside, it tastes damn good.

2013 Mar 6
@OSoloMeal New. Favorite. Post.

Well, I'm not terribly worried about eating pre-washed greens as I normally cook them.
If I'm eating them raw, I guess I could give them a rinse first? I'm not terribly worried.

I did go to my local Loblaws (College Square) and saw the baby kale blend but hesitated when I saw the other lettuces in it. I'm not sure how well they'd fare to some sauteeing. I guess I'll stick to spinach for now?

2013 Mar 6
If it was PC Organics, the blend is kale, chard, and spinach - it would stand up to sautéeing. There is an all-kale one as well (as in photo above).

2013 Mar 7
Oh, that is not the blend that I saw. Mine had arugula and something else and my face made a face I did not enjoy making at the thought of cooking all of that business.

I'll keep an eye out for those two and try rolling my way down to the farmer's market soon for some of the holier-than-you-can-beleaf stuff.

2013 Mar 7
I've use the PC Org kale both for salad and cooking. Not quite as tasty and buy-and-wash, but pretty good.

Also, still not dead yet.

My big issue with pre-washed in plastic boxes is that it rarely lasts up to the expiry date. Before i buy a box i'll look at it from all angles and if i see any rotting leaves, i pass regardless of best before date because if it's already turning to salad juice, shelf life is limitted.

2013 Mar 7
Just don't forget feces is also organic :)

2013 Mar 7
The only things that are not organic ... are inorganic.

In other words, if it is not organic than it must be inorganic and vice versa.

N'est–ce pas ??

2013 Mar 8
Yes, but is it certified inorganic?

2013 Mar 8
So i can eat the greens, and probably the label, but not the plastic box they came in. Got it!

2013 Mar 8
".... but not the plastic box they came in."

Why not ? Isn't it a (certified) organic compound ??

You know ..... all those healthy hydrocarbon polymers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic