Grass fed beef [General]

2012 Dec 10
Hello,

Recently moved to the Ottawa area from the UK (half an hour over into Quebec).
We are looking for recommendations for butchers that sell naturally-raised meat.
Specifically, I am looking for a butcher where I can buy a joint of grass-fed beef for Xmas dinner.
All advice gratefully received.
Thanks.

2012 Dec 10
Off the top of my head the Manotick VIllage Butcher is the best one in town for that

2012 Dec 10
Is this beef to be smoked in the Big Green Bong?

2012 Dec 11
La Maison Bisson has two locations: one on boul St-Raymond and one in Galeries de Hull on Saint-Joseph.

juniper Farm in Wakefield probably does too.

2012 Dec 11
Manotick Village Butcher has O'Briens beef corn finished and beef from another local farmer but is not strictly grass fed. Almost impossible to get unfrozen grass fed beef in Ottawa. Last time I tried was one year ago things may have changed.

2012 Dec 11
Oh for some reason I thought manotick did just grass fed

See Forum - the localvores' thread

2012 Dec 12
A joint of grass-fed beef on the Big Green Bong. Krusty, you're high-larious! Laughed so hard, I gave myself the munchies.

Reminds me of Dobson's Beef, and one of their slogans: "Our cows aren't on drugs. Just grass." ;-)

2012 Dec 12
+1 on Bisson in the little strip mall off St-Raymond below the 148. Good, local lamb too from Petite-Nation.

2018 May 20
My SO has suggested she would go back to eating beef, if it were grass fed. Any recent suggestions/recommendations for sources? We don’t mind a drive in the country, and have freezer space to fill.

2018 May 21
B&H Your Community Grocer in Kemptville has grass fed hormone free local beef in store, as well s local pork and lamb, and they also carry a variety of local products like honey, salad greens, tomatoes, sunflower seed oil, locally roasted coffees, etc.

2018 May 21
Here as well:
grazingdays.ca/
Listed on OF as Grazing Days but the website link is not up.

2018 May 22
My cottage is up near Shawville and there is farm up there called Rolling Acres that I'm pretty sure sells grass fed beef that's frozen:

rollingacres.biz

2018 May 22
If you want to try before you do a big freezer order there are always multiple vendors at the farmer's markets around the city (perfect time of the year for your question). Most will even do a freezer order then bring it to the market for pick-up. But a visit to the farm and drive in the country is fun too.

2018 May 22
The Ottawa Organic Market also has farmers with grass fed beef.