Source for Ancho chili powder [Food/Vendor]

2012 Aug 8
Any suggestions as to where I will find Ancho Chili powder? Mainstream grocery stores don't seem to have it and I'm hoping not to have to drive all over town to find some. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

2012 Aug 8
I buy dried from Mountain Path and make my own powder with a coffee blade grinder.

Forum - Dried Chillies

2012 Aug 8
It is difficult to find. I found some at Pottery Barn in the U.S of all places. McCormick used to carry it but no more in Ottawa grocery stores.While in southern U.S I could not findany. It may be easier to make your own.

2012 Aug 8
Check Grace in the Kitchen & Serious Cheese. I've seen bags of the powder (as well as the chiles themselves) in the past, and for a pretty reasonable price given what I've seen charged elsewhere in Ottawa at retail for dried chiles.

2012 Aug 8
Whole dried anchos can be found at "Little Latin America" on Somerset St. in Chinatown, see Little Latin America - ask at the counter BJJ.

You may also soon find them fresh & local - my Huizache variety are growing like gangbusters with the hot weather we've had! They are much milder at this point than the Crimson Hot pepper which is an early ancho pepper I've grown for years and dry and grind and is also grown locally.

2012 Aug 8
I get them from Little Latin America, grind them in the blender and pass them through a sieve

2012 Aug 8
bought some at herb and spic on wellington last week

2012 Aug 9
On the "Dried Chilis" topic thread it was recommended that I try Grace Ottawa on Bank Street. Since I was driving right by, I stopped in and sure enough, they had dried Ancho Chilis. I picked some up and put them through a coffee grinder. Looks good to me. I guess the proof will be in the pudding - or fish marinade in this case. Thanks for the suggestions.

2012 Aug 9
Toasting the chilies in a heavy pan for a few second on each side then grinding adds to your powder flavor.

2012 Aug 9
Look at the dried chilies I found in Mid-East Food Centre .

Of ALL places ... The Mid-East Food Centre.

Mulato, Ancho, Passila, Negro, Chipotles etc. from two suppliers.

2012 Aug 10
You can get them all at Mrs. McGarrigles in Merrickville in beautiful but tiny stainless steel tins that probably cost two or three times what Captain Caper's larger packs at Mid East Food Centre cost.