Ottawa Foodies Monthly Meetup - July [General]

2012 Jul 4
The Restaurant List active document is here: goo.gl/PhHAa
/\Feel free to edit it and add new restaurants as they open or are of interest, this is a community resource/\

So far foodies have met at
Zaki's Grill
Chez Fatima
C'est Japon à Suisha

Let's sort a place to meetup for July.

Looking for restaurant suggestions and possible dates. Or a dish crawl, whatever is of interest!

2012 Jul 4
Restaurants that would appeal to me most at this point:

Petit Bill's (especially if lobster rolls are still on the menu-;)
Hintonburg Public House
Play

I would love to do a dishcrawl and am even willing to help but not until mid-August or later. I am holidaying during most of July and early August...

2012 Jul 4
I really think dishcrawl would be interesting and should be the next outing...

2012 Jul 4
Petit Bill's would be amazeballs! Lobster... drooool...

2012 Jul 5
I would be interested in Petit Bill.

Having a bit of lobster in New England this week but pretty sure I can be up for more next week or week after.

2012 Jul 5
Okay so how about we arrange a meetup at Petit Bills. Would it be too short notice for everyone if we go sometime over the next week? I'm leaving for Toronto next Thursday morning and sure would love a lobster roll before I leave-;) Here's a doodle poll you can fill out: www.doodle.com

2012 Jul 5
Just a comment about the Lobster roll. It is not a traditional style lobster roll filling with big chunks of lobster meat held together with a bit of mayo. It is more like egg salad. No chunks of lobster, it's more mashed together with lots of mayo and dill. It was tasty but wasn't quite what I was looking for. But on the other hand there is always the lobster poutine.

2012 Jul 5
I don't know when you were in but the Lobster Roll is sort of a work in progress..

We have cut back on the mayo & made it a little less creamy, we also changed the Lobster Taco...

Terry

2012 Jul 5
Me +1 are good to goto Petit Bills.. I'm up for trying this famed lobster poutine and rolls.

2012 Jul 5
Terry - I was in last Friday, June 29th. As I said, it was tasty, just not quite what I expected. But on the other hand the seafood chaucterie was very good. And as usual the lobster poutine was delicious.

2012 Jul 6
So six votes came in and with a variety of options. Is everyone agreeable to meeting at 6:00 pm on Sunday? (Regrets to blubarry - if your plans change you are welcome to join us!)

2012 Jul 6
Thanks Lovetoeat...

Would everyone want me to make a reservation on Sunday for 6 @ 6?
If there are any special requests please don't hesitate to ask...

Terry

2012 Jul 6
I made a reservation for Sunday at 6:00 pm. Terry I sent you a message with the details which you will see the next time you log in. If anyone has any special dietary requirements/requests please let Terry know... See you Sunday!

2012 Jul 6
Just to confirm the following people have RSVP'd:

Pasta lover
Isabelle
Ravi +1
Artemis +1

Please let me know if youm can't make it so I can update the reservations accordingly. Thanks!

2012 Jul 7
Sorry to miss yet another monthly outing, but will keep voting for days other than Sunday LOL.

2012 Jul 7
Hello all,

Is this an open invitation to all members of foodies? I'm very new to the site, (just signed up today in fact) and am looking forward to expanding my views on food... I've been following the forums for about a month or so, looking up ideas and instructions for smoking meats. Thought I'd join in and add my voice to the crowd. I certainly won't be able to make it this month, but in the future, should the invitation be extended to all...

-Nukem

2012 Jul 7
Hi Pasta Lover,

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it on Sunday. Something has come up. We are so disappointed. Hope to be able to attend the August outing.

Thanks!

2012 Jul 7
Nukem - Welcome to OF, the dinners are open to everyone here.

2012 Jul 7
blubarry Your request for non-Sunday dinners is duly noted-;) BTW I will be off for two weeks beginning July 27th for my annual staycation. I hope to tie in a lunch at Art-is-In so maybe we can arrange an OF lunch date?...

Artemis No problem - thanks for letting me know and I hope we get to meet up at the next dinner.

Nukem lovetoeat is right - our dinners are open to everyone. Our dinners are fairly casually arranged - someone surfs in to make a dinner suggestion for that month and posts a poll for us to pick a time mutually agreeable to all of us. Keep your eyes peeled and feel free to join in when you can. I look forward to meeting you!

So now we have the following people confirmed:

Pasta lover
Isabelle
Ravi +1

2012 Jul 8
Isabelle and Ravi Are you able to join us tonight at Petit Bills? I just want to confirm you can make it...

2012 Jul 8
I'll be there!

Sorry I didn't see your messages, had been reading this on my phone and didn't actually sign in to my account...

2012 Jul 8
Yup, we are a go

2012 Jul 8
Isabelle and our party are here. =D

2012 Jul 8
Great time this evening. Pasta Lover cancelled the reservations, which resulted in Terry cancelling some items he was going to have the kitchen specially make for us! It turns out attendees had been pm'd to confirm attendance. =( we don't check messages frequently, just posts... so she must have thought we weren't attending.

Well we attended! lol. Great service, Terry was great as well.

Some pics.

Three dishes across the group, and 3 desserts.

Lobster Poutine
Lobster Roll (croissant)

Seafood Sampler plate (i think, Isabelle ordered this, can't find it on the online menu)

2012 Jul 8
Lobster Poutine

2012 Jul 8
Isabelle sample plate.

2012 Jul 8
Desserts on the house from Terry. The Creamsicle Creme brulee was very tasty. Both ladies enjoyed the Maple cheesecake, and the chocolate cake was very rich.

Ms. and I shared the lobster roll and poutine. Having had the lobster salad version here I realize I prefer the chunk style. She enjoyed the poutine more.

The service from our server was great. Even while she was juggling a massive 25person group.

On my return I'll try the mini burgers, which have lotsa options.

2012 Jul 9
Looks like it was fun! I have been visiting family and off line since Thursday but these posts have inspired me to just go over and lobster snack solo. Food looks amazing and that lobster poutine has been in my dreams since Bon Appetit Ottawa... time for a meal in the actual restaurant!

2012 Jul 9
I'm disappointed I missed it. I would have liked to have met some new OF's.

btw.. that's the seafood chaucterie plate. IMO- it's really good. I especially like the scallop ceviche (in the ramkin) I think it's a steal at 19.00(?)

2012 Jul 9
Thanks for popping in everybody; it was great to meet everyone!

Terry

2012 Jul 9
I'm sorry I didn't go since I was looking forward to this... But as you can imagine I didn't want to make a special trip to the resto and hold a table if the rest of the group couldn't make it... Glad you had a good time!

2012 Jul 9
Thanks for the warm welcome Terry. The service was great, and I really enjoyed the food too!

Indeed, that was the seafood charcuterie plate. An appetizer for 2, makes a nice main course for 1 (leaving room for dessert). Very nice selection. My favorite was the tuna tartare. The mousse was also very nice on the crostinis. Even the crostinis were nice (sounds like a detail, but I've been served burned crostinis in many places, and I hate that).

I had the "cool cucumber" mojito, very refreshing.

And the desserts really suprised me. The crème brûlée was very original and captured the creamsicle taste perfectly. The maple cheesecake was very creamy, and I think cheesecake is better when served at room temperature, like this one was. Finally, the chili brownie... just a hint of chili, but very very chocolatey. A bit too much for my dining companions, but that just meant more chocolate for me ;-)

My suggestion for future Ottawa Foodies dinners : if confirmations are needed, it's better to ask for them directly in the thread, rather than by personnal messages. Many people don't automatically log in every time they check the site, and if you don't log in, you don't know there are personal messages waiting (and I can't find an option to be warned via e-mail if someone sends me a personal message). But, once a request for confirmation was made in the thread, we both confirmed within a couple of hours.

2012 Jul 9
So are we done for July? Or we have one random place left in us? =D

Shall we start a August thread to start the planning?

2012 Jul 10
Maybe we can try that new resto called "Union" openning july 17 its southern style cuisine.

2012 Jul 10
I'll be very interested in coming along with a +1 if we can organize somewhere that has food other than just seafood on the menu... Just starting to accommodate my taste buds to fish, and i'm not ready to start spending bucks on it....

2012 Jul 10
Nuts... I missed this. Was having crab cake and lobster dinner and Sunday night at Arnold's in Cape Cod before driving back..

Guess I have to go solo lol..

2012 Jul 10
Actually Blubarry, pasta lover, lovetoeat, knittybynature and anyone else, I am game for a 2nd run at lobster roll, lobster poutine or seafood sampler at Petit Bill's for Wed at 6 or 7pm if you are interested.

2012 Jul 10
Here's pics from our visit to Petit Bill's in higher resolution. Should have taken more, but we were hungry! =D

goo.gl/X0aCN

2012 Jul 11
uhmm looked again and the seafood charcuterie plate looks great

2012 Jul 11
I'm game FoodTravel, but can't tonight :(

2012 Jul 11
Just got home from vacation in cape cod so can hold off a few days for seafood lol... Also should take care of more work, laundry, etc...

How about early next week?

2012 Jul 11
M/T/W work so far, but am awaiting the birth of a friend's new addition next week, so plans can change quickly.

2012 Jul 11
My schedule is still a bit fluid next week but Tues looks best right now or this Thurs can work too since I kept this week light.

2012 Jul 11
FYI, Petit Bill's has some kind of fundraiser next Tuesday - I don't know what time (I think earlier) or what impact that will have on getting a reservation. I'm sure Terry would be able to tell you.

2012 Jul 11
Thanks Johnny; Tuesday July 17th is my brother/partner's 50th Birthday & we're holding a fundraiser for the Humane society...

$50 dinner @ 5:30 & then over to the Elmdale House for music & a silent auction..

petitbillsbistro.com or call 613-729-2500

2012 Jul 11
I have an idea for a potential picnic/foodie outing:

Centretown Movies 2012:
www.csit.carleton.ca

Friday, August 17th's movie is: Julie and Julia

2012 Jul 11
Julie and Julia in Dundonald Park !!

How about Pot Luck in the Park ! Nothing fancy, just snacks, nibbly bits etc.

2012 Jul 11
I'm moving back to Ottawa in the Fall - Centretown movies looks awesome! I miss Ottawa.

2012 Jul 12
I'd be up for pot luck in the park.

2012 Jul 12
Yeah I was going to mention potluck in the park a while ago - some of us can't afford to go out to dinner

2012 Jul 12
Potluck / picnic in the park would be good.

2012 Jul 12
That actually sounds like an amazing idea! we can put up a list here of things that we're bringing, and have a go at it... Im in if there's enough interest... We can bring a Frisbee... who doesn't love Frisbee?

2012 Jul 12
No lists please - potluck means no lists. If you know in advance what will be there, it ain't potluck.

2012 Jul 12
i suppose that does take all the luck out of it... at least a list of people attending so we can make enough for everyone to have a taste... better way to go good call zym

2012 Jul 13
So need to be something that can be eaten cold..

2012 Jul 13
FoodTravel ... Not necessarily needs to be eaten cold.

There are many solutions for warm food.

1 insulated bags like the ones in the picture

2 battery powered picnic heaters (some do either cool or heat)

3 a Peak One single burner cookstove (google it)

4 a (styrofoam) cooler with boiling water in a number of hot water bottles

5 an extension cord with a toaster oven ... if there is a plug nearby

6 etc.

"Free your mind and your foodie ass will follow !"

2012 Jul 16
Okay planning my week and baring any emergency at work, going to try and go to Petit Bill's Wednesday around 6:30pm.

Most of my foodies friends are in TO, Montreal, US and points further away. Have no problems doing a solo jaunt but if anyone else want to go let me know and I will make a reservation.

2012 Jul 16
Oh rats - I have a ball game on Wednesday, else I would have joined you at Petit Bills. Hope it's delish!

The potluck idea is rad too... I will be at the demolition derby at the South Mountain Fair on Aug 17 (eating something totally awful and delicious, I'm sure) but if I'm not the only one who can't make that night, I think there are additional movie nights we could plan around (although perhaps not with a matching "foodie" theme).

2012 Jul 18
Attempt #2 went off rail... My sister called me dinner time saying her car would not start and she did not have her CAA card on her and could I go to her office and give her a boost..

Will try attempt #3 Thurs.

2012 Jul 18
Aww bummer FT-
I'm going to Petit Bills on Friday otherwise I would join you.

2012 Jul 19
lol I seed to have a little issue doing a simple outing.. Will try again Thurs.

I went out with my sister to get a bite to eat after we boosted her car but she is a vegetarian so it was a chain restaurant near her office and not very memorable.

I did promise her to take her to Zen Kitchen for her birthday next month. Eating out with her and my BIL tend to be Chinese since he does chinese, Lone Star or steak and not much for my sister at the other two.

2012 Jul 19
Forgot I gave my Mom some "Labour" gift coupons for mothers day in addition to her gift for helping in her garden (to stop her and my dad from doing too much of the heavy work). My mom used one so end up going over and spent 2 hrs putting some plants in and some lifting and moving branches since their neighbour's tree split from the storm on Sunday and half of it ended up in their backyard.

Will try attempt #4 another day.. Maybe Friday since end up not going away this weekend.