Favorite Rubs [Cooking]

2012 Jul 2
So yesterday was my first ever rub - not knowing what to do I pulled out my Weber cookbook and used their Southwestern Rub on page 54, with slight modification.

They call for :
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin

I accidentally put in a full tsp of everything, and in addition to the above I put in a tsp of onion powder and about 1/2 tsp salt. The coriander and cumin were a bit much when judging by the smell of the mixture beforehand, but all together on the finished product I was amazed at how well it turned out. Nonetheless next time I'll go with 1/2 tsp of coriander and cumin, but probably the full tsp of paprika. I also think a bit of cinnamon and ginger would go well here.

I used up all the mixture on a pork loin about 10" long, and smoked it over cherry at 250F for about 3 hours. It was absolutely fantastic!

2012 Jul 2
I always keep a jar of this in the cupboard. It's great as a rub or for any other purpose where "cajun seasoning" is required.

Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning (aka Bayou Blast)

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

www.emerils.com/recipe/1806/

2012 Jul 3
The one I use the most is one Andy posted way back when:

1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp ground chilies

I've used it on many many batches of pulled pork.

2012 Jul 7
Just spotted this in one of those free All You Need is Cheese mags, as part of a Miami short rib sandwich recipe, and plan to try it:

1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) each of brown sugar, paprika, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, ground cumin, thyme and dry mustard
1/4 tsp kosher salt
cayenne pepper to taste (optional)

2012 Jul 7
Just tried out a great home made wet rub last night, i'll let you know the results tomorrow, the ribs are still in the smoker... ;)

3 cloves of garlic, pureed
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp onion powder
1 fresh diced jalapeno pepper (no seeds or membrane)
2 tbsp honey

mixed and rubbed over a rack of pork back ribs.

Threw together a glaze for before I toss them on for a quick char at the end too...

1 clove garlic, pureed
1/4 cup honey
1/8 cup water
1 tsp ketchup
salt and pepper to taste

bring to a simmer, boil off some water, cool and apply to ribs before throwing them on the grill after a good smoking!

As I said, haven't actually tasted it yet, but my gosh, does it smell amazing! I'll let you know!

2012 Jul 7
Been making my own batches of Ted readers bonedust seasoning, man I use that $#@! On everything.

2012 Jul 7
I've been using Ted Reader's Bone Dust too... Funny thing is I never make it completely from scratch, I always start with a little bit of what was left over from last time and then add to it. Rub recipes are generally pretty forgiving on ratios!

2012 Jul 8
Bone dust sounds interesting... recipe?

2012 Jul 8
Here you go: lmgtfy.com

2012 Jul 8
Rubbed a brisket with this yesterday
3tbs chilli powder-1 ancho,1 juillo,1 arbol
1 tbs coarse salt
2 tsp black pepper
1.5 tsp brown sugar
1.5 tsp grlic pwr
1.5 tsp onion pwr
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
0.5 tsp cayenne

2012 Jul 9
Bone Suckin' Sauce has a dry rub that I adore. It's a pretty typical sugar/paprika/garlic kind of mix but with a special something I just can't identify. I put it on everything, but it's best on chicken and roasted cauliflower.

2012 Jul 9
Ted Reader's Bone Dust from www.food.com

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons dry hot mustard
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground basil
1 tablespoon ground thyme
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon cayenne

I used to be a massive fan of his show "Kind of the Q" until I watched him put raw chicken on the grill with tongs and then turn around and stir a salad with the same tongs. Now I call him the "Kind of cross contamination" and I just can't stand to watch him.

2012 Jul 9
Ted Reader's Bone Dust recipe is also what I use on everything. It's good on oven-cooked meat as well as barbecued. Good depth of flavour.

2012 Jul 11
MAGIC DUST BBQ Rub
From Peace, Love, and Barbecue by Mike Mills and Amy Mills Tunnicliffe

• 1/2 cup paprika
• 1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons mustard powder
• 1/4 cup chilli powder
• 1/4 cup ground cumin
• 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup granulated garlic
• 2 tablespoons Cayenne

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.
(To make it a little more hot and spicy, increase the mustard powder and black pepper to 1/4 cup each.)

2012 Jul 11
Gotta say Live, that's a lot of salt. I find Ted Reader's stuff a little heavy on the salt too especially when Bonedust is a key ingredient in his other rubs. Raichlen rules the sodium roost, however. As for the cross contamination Zymurgist, I agree and I see it all the time on YouTube.

2012 Jul 14
I only had a lititle bit of Bonedust rub left today, not enough to rub the whole pork loin, so I made Mr. Reader's Bonedust paste. I love the extra heat from the scotch bonnets and sambal oelek. The star of the show was the Krusty Brand pork loin. What a great tasting and juicy piece of meat. Probably the juiciest pork that I have ever had.

2012 Jul 17
Copycat Montreal Steak Spice
1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon coarse salt ( for low sodium can leave out)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds (cracked in mortar)
1 1/2 teaspoons dry oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes

Works well on both chicken and steak! and the no salt version still tastes great

2012 Jul 18
Here is what I just did as a variation of my above rub. I put 1tsp of the mix in a bag and shook a piece of chicken (leg)

- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp onion powder

Was absolutely FANTASTIC!

2012 Aug 6
Yum, I just mixed about 1/2 tsp of the immediate above rub into 1 lb ground beef for burgers - so good! Also mixed in some finely chopped sweet onion, some salt and a bit of oat flour to hold it together.

2012 Aug 7
I used this on my BBQ chicken last night the forgotten ingredient that none of the rubs mentioned here use is celery seed I find it adds a great flavor. Great all purpose BBQ rub

2tbs coarse salt
1tbs hickory salt
1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika(smoked)
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2tsp garlic powder
2tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1tbs chili para naranja(Optional)

2012 Aug 8
To add some Canadiana, for many of these rub recipes one could replace the sugar with Maple Sugar Flakes such as these www.decacer.com

2014 Apr 13
Yesterday I picked up some rubs from Essence Catering now that they are retailing as well as catering. I just grabbed the Rib Rub and rubbed a bunch of beef ribs and a whole chicken, and threw them into the Bradley to smoke. The rub smells pretty incredible so I'm really looking forward to see how they come out ... will keep you posted!