Bakery with whole wheat/grain products? [Food/Vendor]

2007 Jul 18
Hello,

This Friday I am cooking a big meal for family. But as one of the people has a heart condition I have been asked to make it as a healthy as possible. I normally try to offer a selection of breads but I have been asked to keep it to whole grain products.

Whole wheat bagets are easy enough to find but I still want to offer a selection of different types breads. Does anyone know any good bakeries that offer a selection of breads that were made using whole wheat or whole grains?

Thanks very much.

Cheers

2007 Jul 18
Not sure what part of town you are in, but in the Glebe there is a great bakery called Wild Oat and they make some great healthy breads. Most health food grocery stores either sell or bake their own breads.
The Green Door on Main Street also sells their own freshly baked spelt bread (gluten free).

2007 Jul 18
my favourite bread is the 12grain fennel bread by art-is-in-bakery. it is wonderful alone, with butter, or creamy cheese (probably not a good idea for person with heart condition). they also have a cranberry 9-grain bread.

it is available at thyme & again catering, ottawa bagel shop, landsdowne farmer's market, la bottega (i think). all the art-is-in breads are wonderful.

see entry on this website:
ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1139

2007 Jul 18
Trillium Bakery in Old Ottawa South apparently uses whole wheat flour in all of their products. I just know everything there tastes good!

2007 Jul 18
I second the 12 grain fennel bread by art-is-in. It is also sold at The Natural Food Pantry.

It's great toasted even without the butter or creamy cheese and makes great veggie sandwiches.

2007 Jul 18
There is also a Trillium on Wellington west of Holland. Several other bakeries along that strip that have great whole grain products, including the one beside the bagel shop whose name always escapes me.

2007 Jul 18
I used to work at Bread and Roses Bakery on Beechwood Ave. in New Edinburgh....so I know they only use whole grain, stone ground flour. Some are 100% organic, some not. All natural ingredients with nothing artificial. They are best eaten fresh on the day they are baked but good too after as toast. He also bakes a gluten free bread, spelt, and sourdoughs!
Looks like you have a lot of choices with this thread... :)

2007 Jul 18
And Bread and Sons on Bank street would be another good place to visit.

2007 Jul 18
As much as I love the art-is-in breads, I wouldn't recommend them based on the amount of grease that stains the paper bags I transport/store them in... whether it's shortening, butter, oil, whatever, it can't be good for someone with a heart condition. Personally, I would buy a loaf from Trillium Bakery (one on Wellington or in old Ottawa South along Bank St.) They bake all kinds of diet specific breads, cookies, muffins, etc... I'm sure you'll find something appropriate there.

And by the way, I am in no way "slamming" the art-is-in breads, I love them, but seriously people, the grease on the bag...

2007 Jul 18
You're quite right, Chimichimi, even the white baguette is greasy and covered with salt! Those are what make it delicious of course, but no good for someone who specifically needs a heart-friendly meal.

I tend to describe art-is-in bread as a three-way cross between a loaf of bread, a pretzel, and a croissant. Yum! :)