beet recipes? ideas? [General]

2011 Aug 23
i usually just roast my beets and serve in a salad or tossed with a vinaigrette. i'd love some other tested beet recipes or ideas.

2011 Aug 23
Chocolate Beet Cake is really, really good!

urbanhippy.ca/baking/beetcake

2011 Aug 23
I had a wonderful beet risotto at Juniper once, but have never attempted it myself.

2011 Aug 23
Beet greens are great in salads. Love the flavor.

2011 Aug 24
Ever made Harvard beets, hff? They're good.

Here are a couple t&t recipes that we enjoy: a beet yeast bread @ www.thekneadforbread.com and the following recipe (which I have used in that bread recipe).

This delicious recipe isn't low fat but has terrific colour on a plate and adds great flavour to a meal, and, big bonus, freezes well. It's become an annual fall dish that I usually make with homegrown coriander seed, ground, and the last beets from the garden for freezing.

The recipe is from "The New Basics Cookbook" by Rosso & Lukins.

Beet and Coriander Puree

3-3/4 to 4 lb beets
1 cup unsalted butter
1-1/2 cups diced onions
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt

Trim the beets, leaving 1 inch of stem. Rinse, but do not peel.
Place beets in large saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the beets are very tender (~50-60 min.).
Drain beets, rinse under cold water, and remove skins. Cut into 1" pieces. Set aside.
Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add onions, cover and cook 20 minutes. Then add the beets, vinegar, sugar, coriander and salt. Stir well, and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
Transfer the beet mixture, in batches, to a food processor and process until perfectly smooth.
Return puree to a saucepan and stir well over low heat until heated through. (Or transfer to an ovenproof dish, cover with foil and heat at 350F until steaming hot, ~25 minutes.)
Yields 8 to 16 servings. Freezes well.

Andy's notes: I don't puree it too, too much, leaving some smaller pieces for textural interest - reminds me less of baby food!

2011 Aug 24
hipfunkyfun I usually serve my beets in salads too. But another idea is to make borscht. (This may not be much help to you if you are a vegetarian but it's a thought...)

2011 Aug 24
I like to shred small peeled beetroot and add them to salads.

2011 Aug 24
great ideas! these ideas triggered something and i remember a delicious recipe a friend used to make, beet soup topped with cumin-toasted sunflower seeds. it was delicious.

i've never been able to do anything with beet greens. i don't know if the greens have gotten a bit old and yucky by the time i get around to them or what. i've had good beet greens from other people, but i usually just compost them.

beet cake, i've had zuchinni chocolate cake and sauerkraut chocolate cake (surprisingly delicious and moist), but not beet cake.

i think i'll be buying a lot more beets soon.

2011 Aug 24
Two ideas:

Roasted beet and shallot soup with....a secret ingredient....which is....garam masala (homemade, please). Roast beets and shallots until soft. Then saute them in some ghee and as much garam masala as you wish until fragrant. Add chicken stock and cook until the flavours are melded. Puree. Serve with whatever the hell you wish, topping with an extra pinch or two of garam masala.

Beet salad with anise: Cook beets any old way until done. Mix with nice sized pieces of sweet onion and dress with wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and...a lot of coarsely crushed anise seeds. Serve at room temp with cilantro, parsley, or nothing at all. Gorgeous and delicious.

2011 Aug 24
At this time of year add pickled beets. I love them roasted, in borscht, harvard, shredded in salads but pickled are awesome!

2011 Aug 24
mark - the soup sounds great. i've never made my own garam masala, what is involved?

i love garam masala, and usually have it on corn. cook or roast corn on the cob, rub all over with chunks of lime and then sprinkle liberally with garam masala.

2011 Aug 25
Garam masala is easy to make. Just dry toast your chosen spices in a small pan until fragrant, cool, and grind.

Which spices? In which proportion? Opinions abound. Most people agree that it should be centered on the "warm" spices: Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, black pepper, green cardamom, and (I think personally) black cardamom--these are the basis for my mix. I sort of eyeball these when I put it together, and the final result is largely similar. The only thing I am careful about is to be sparing with the clove, which can get overpowering. If I had to guess, I would say that the decreasing order of composition by weight is cinnamon, black pepper, black cardamom, nutmeg, green cardamom, and clove. Easy to adjust the final mix if you think it is a bit out of balance--just add some more of something. I use Mexican cinnamon, since I like its more subtle, woodsy taste.

It loses its punch quickly, so I make small batches frequently and use the mortar and pestle for grinding (works better with small volumes than my spice grinder).

Commercial mixtures often include coriander seed and cumin, which are largely bulking agents. Less frequent additions include saffron, ginger, fennel, black cumin and many others. Most recipes proportions are based on these commercial mixtures, so use only about 1/3 or a 1/4 of the amount if you are using a blend such as mine.

2011 Aug 25
Roasted beets and Goat's Cheese are a match made in heaven no matter how you throw them together. Salad, risotto, soup, etc... Throw in some toasted pecans or walnuts. Bazinga!

2011 Aug 25
Growing up my Mom made Beet and Pea salad. Always with canned beets, diced, canned peas, BUT I have changed it up and now make it with fresh beets, peas and onions.
It goes like this:
Beets, cooked however you choose, then diced.
Fresh green peas, cooked.
Combine beets and peas add 1/4- 1/2 c of your favourite onion, red, green, white, finely diced.
Add mayo or miracle whip until nicely moistened. Add lots of black pepper and a bit of salt. This is soooo yummy!!

2011 Aug 25
I make a beet salad with roasted or boiled beets, orange or mandarin slices- fresh not canned, a bit of apple of wine vinegar and some lemon- last time I used a bit of citrus champagne vinegar (O brand) and also some crushed black pepper.

it was a pretty summery and fresh salad, served cold also.
You could probably add some shallots, red onion-whatever...but I can not handle eating much onion,so never use it in anything.

You could add mayo also, but again I hate mayo, so never use it in anything.
you could also add some nuts right before serving- that sounds like it would be good.

My stepfather, he only likes beets with mayo...bleh!
well, good if you like it I guess.

For the beet and pea salad,I think if you left the peas raW,they would be nice an crunchy!
also I've seen salads w beet and chick pea before!
maybe add some wild rice too??

I recently had a raw beet slaw at the Table, it was quite good!