Foodie Sacrilege - Whole Chicken in a Can [General]

2011 Jul 20

AHHHHHH! Need I say anymore?

2011 Jul 20
meats my seal of approval

2011 Jul 21
It was a good idea when that chef in Montreal was doing it.

And the broth should be pretty delicious because the whole thing would have to have been pressure canned. The stuff off the lid is chicken fat - yum!

I'd eat that. Bet it would cook up pretty well as long as they did not bastardize it with too much stuff like MSG and so on.

And what's with the plastic forks and foam cups?

2011 Jul 21
When you do a whole turkey sous vide it doesn't look too appetizing when it comes out of the bag either . . . but it improves after a spell in a hot oven to brown up the outside.

But canning requires much higher temperatures to kill botulism spores. It's probably way overcooked.

2011 Jul 21
@ zymurgist

At least the chef in Montreal (and I think it's duck?) serves it in the can, they can it, and immediately serve it.

But it probably tastes like boiled chicken with too much salt and that funny can taste you find in tuna, chicken and ham cans.

2011 Jul 21
I pressure cook chicken and other meats from time to time and find the results to be absolutely spectacular. Brings out way more flavour. I would expect this to taste a lot like that.

2011 Jul 21
Sous Vide is one thing, but say what you will, I would have to be literally staving to put that canned chicken in my mouth.

I saw some youtube videos of people eating it. Some say it is absolutely disgusting, other say it is not that bad.

Anybody seen the cheeseburger in a can? you can find videos of that on youtube too. I use a very limited range of canned products from time to time, but common, unless these kinds of products (chicken in a can, or cheesburer in a can) are used for doomsday rations, I can't justify their existence. Eww.

2011 Jul 21
They have been posting about this canned chicken for at least 2 years on another forum I belong too.
Someone there also posted about the brains in a can- it looks pretty yucky too!

I think for the chicken in a can, the thing is it sits on the shelf for at least 1 year, while the chef that does that it is served right away and much better, fresher.

Pressure cooking something at home, then eating is it probably tastier.
I know I buy fried chicken that is pressure fried and it is very tasty.

This chicken here, in a can does not appeal to me.
I hate most canned food- really hate canned tuna,fish,pork.
I hate canned fish so much that if it was even free I would not eat it (but will take the can and give it to someone).
Canned vegetables are ok,but I do not eat many of them. Canned tomato sauces or condensed milk is all I really use though.

I think if I had to store food for a long time, it would be freeze dried vegetarian foods.
The freeze dried fruits and vegetables are really good!
I like the freeze dried corn w butter well.ca sells- really good as a snack,but too expensive to eat often.

2011 Jul 21
While it doesn't look appetizing, I'm pretty sure it would be good if done right, I'm with zim on this one. My grandmother and generations before her would can whole chickens. Life before freezers. Great for stews, soups, etc.

2011 Jul 21
Ok. I guess now I will have to try pressure cooking (steaming) a whole chicken and taste it.

@prettytasty - I tried some vacuum packed peanuts in France (in a thick plastic bag with all the air sucked out, making it as hard as a brick). Those peanuts were amazingly good. I realized the peanuts we buy here are mostly rancid.

2011 Jul 21
This is a picture my brother took last weekend at the Pied de Cochon...

" Main course: Duck in a can. 1/2 magret duck, foie gras, Demi-glace, cabbage, cooked in a can in the oven served over bread. So fatty, salty, rich and gooooooood."

2011 Jul 22
Ok, I have tried vacum packed nuts- doesn't Planters still have those peanuts in the glass jar?
I used to really like the dry roasted plain kind...I will have to remember to buy some. I recently bought many other kinds though (trying to finish those first).

This post just reminded me of the duck dish I saw already prepared and in a jar online.
Duck Cassoulet by Elevages Perigord, quebec!
It costs $30, plus shipping. I do not eat duck,but this might be nice as a gift for someone who does?

www.ogourmet.com

2011 Jul 22
I don't think we can compare Sweet Sue chicken, to sous vide, vacuum packed nuts, duck in a can, etc. etc.

Who knows where that chicken came from. It's most definitely a mass produced low quality industrial chicken, killed at an early age - in order to fit in that can.

Similarly, these cans are about 5 dollars, so I can't imagine that its a quality bird.

Remember, that's the chef boyardee equivalent of whole chickens. I stand by my statement that it is revolting.

2011 Jul 22
Wow, you said what I was thinking, ilikerealfood! Yes, who knows what horrid conditions that chicken was raised in, and what garbage it was fed.

But, I would gladly eat one of my own canned chickens. Think I'll open a jar tonight to make chicken salad. No way I'm turning the stove on!

And I agree with what sourdough said. My grandma used to can whole chickens too.

2011 Jul 22
@prettytasty,

The peanuts in the jar are nothing like the French ones, they are coated with a potato glaze and there is a lot of salt and chemicals added. There may be a slight vacuum in the jar, but the vacuum packed French peanuts were kind of like a brick of vacuum packed coffee. All the air was sucked out of the packaging and it was rock hard. No salt or chemicals added, just fresh raw peanuts (grown in France too, even though the peanut, like most of the great food crops, is native to the Americas).

$5 canned chickens:

Someone who worked at KFC once told me the raw chickens that came in looked truly awful and there were strict instructions on precisely how long to leave then in the pressure fryer, because a lot of them were loaded with salmonella.

It's all industrial food.:-)

Still popsicles are an industrial food, and I just enjoyed one and it was real nice in this heat.

2011 Jul 22
The planter's peanuts I used to get did not have a glaze on them, they were plain unsalted and blanched.
I think pharmaplus should still sell them.

I will look for them tommorow....now I really want to buy some!

I know planters also has the seasoned peanuts in a jar,but i thought those were just coated with salt and tons of MSG??

Wasn't just dreaming this, but they do have the dry roasted unsalted peanuts in a jar still!

www.planterspeanuts.ca

2011 Jul 23
@prettytasty - Those are the ones with potato starch on them.

Apparently you can grow them at home (I did not know that):
www.ipm.iastate.edu

They are really good for you (unless you're allergic)
www.whfoods.com

After much searching on google.fr I finally found my wonderful French peanuts:
www.menguys.com

Of course vacuum packed in French is sous vide . . .!

They say they are the first in Europe to grow peanuts (since 2002)
www.menguys.com

2011 Jul 24
So? are you telling me the dry roasted PLAIN peanuts have potato starch on them?
when I look at the ingredients on the package it is just peanuts..shouldn't they write on the label if there is other thing than just peanuts??

Have you tried the "jungle peanuts"?
apparently they are found in the rainforest in South America.
I think natural food pantry sells them and they are expensive there.
I bought some online when I was in the US.
they are really different.

www.nutsonline.com

2011 Jul 24
@PT, Yes the Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts list the 3rd ingredient as potato starch, after potatoes and salt, I think. But maybe the recipe varies, because the planter's site says cornstarch, but my jar says potato starch.

planters.com

Yup: "Keep in mind that ingredients and formulations change. The information shown here may vary from the content and label information of products currently in stores. For the most current information for these and other products, please Contact Us."

No I haven't tried the jungle nuts . . . thanks for the link. I eat a quite a lot of nuts of different types.

The almonds from Costco (the ones in bags) I roast a second time at 250F for a couple of hours on a baking sheet.

The plastic jars of peanuts, cashews and mixed nuts from Costco also come in handy for as cases electronic projects, and as storage bins. They are really tough and completely waterproof.

2011 Jul 25
Roasting almonds that long?
I guess it is at a low temperature...or else they would have a strong roasted taste.

I think, for the Planter's nuts you were looking at a different product than what I saw.
The one I am looking at the only ingredients are:

PLANTERS®

PEANUTS

DRY ROASTED UNSALTED

ingredients: PEANUTS. CONTAINS: PEANUT.!!!!!

Serving Size 28g
Servings per Container about 16
Amount Per Serving
Calories 170 Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g 22 %
Saturated Fat 2g 10 %
Trans Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Cholesterol 0mg 0 %
**Sodium 0mg <<<<<<<<<<<<< 0 %
Total Carbohydrate 5g 2 %
Dietary Fiber 2g 8 %
Sugars 1g
Protein 8g

planters.com

2011 Jul 25
I wish I found your Planter's I just want the nuts plain.

Roasting the almonds makes them more crunchy and gives them a woody taste.

I've also been experimenting with cold smokers. I think I will try to low roast / smoke a bag of almonds and see how it goes . . . :-)

2011 Jul 26
smoking the almonds would be like the Blue Diamond smoked almonds-but with real smoke I guess.
you could even add smoked salt to them....

The Salty Don from Kanata- he makes and sells many smoked spices.
he used to be at the Lansdowne famer's market, but I have seen his product in a few stores before.

2011 Jul 27
For more thoughts on smoked nuts see the all thing bbq thread. Smoked peanuts have come up there a number of times - both success and my failures :( Almonds would follow the same principle. They are great when done right.