spice store recommendation [Cooking]

2011 May 9
Hi all,

I'm looking for a recommendation for an awesome store in Ottawa to buy really good quality spices at. I want to redo my spice cabinet, and make blends such as garam marsala. Thanks

2011 May 9
Mountain Path if you want organic. You'll have to set up a buying club though.

2011 May 10
Sweetpea If you'd like to stock up on Indian spices I could recommend Nasa Food Centre. For overall good quality spices I could recommend Market Organics.

2011 May 11
Any of the Indian stores are great for value--lots for so little money. My favourite is Vaishalli's, mainly because they have the broadest selection and a good range of packages (A kilo of cumin? Maybe not today...).

However: The quality in the Indian stores is generally just OK--nothing mind-blowing--and freshness varies. Still, great for your ordinary curry. Penzey's has prices that are almost as good (except for the darn international shipping and taxes), but if you want to buy a bunch of stuff, it is a fine option. Their quality is exceptional, and they offer many obscure items. Even better is www.epicesdecru.com/en/, quality-wise--you will taste things in a humble clove that you never thought possible. But the prices are punitive. I save this for special dishes, e.g., nutmeg ice cream.

2011 May 12
Another online Canadian vendor is www.silkroadspices.ca/ who claim that they have "The best selection of high-quality spices in Canada." Who knows, maybe they do.

2011 May 12
I get all my herbs and spices at... Herb and Spice food store on Bank. They have two quality levels. As a student I go for the cheap ones, and haven't been disappointed. Buying in bulk sure is cheaper than getting a McCormicks jar every time though.

2011 May 15
I like Nuts Online.
It is not local, but they are a "third generation family business..since 1929" according to the package of bulk crackers I am eating right now.

Shipping is a bit high but usually takes 2 days from the US.
Everything I bought was super fresh and well labeled with nutrition info.

The price for Ceylon Cinnamon seems very good- around $14 a lb and I also just got a pound of pickling spices for $4.

shipping seems like a lot,but you might be tempted to buy stuff like nuts,dried fruits ect.
my last order was $140 in items for 21 different things, tax and duty,shipping was around $35 I think...

I used to buy more at Natural Food Pantry, and they are ok.
But my main reason for buying less there is that they do not label the bulk items with ingredients...like you do not know what is in the dried fruit,carob chips ect.

Bulk barn seems good, they have a new store at Billings Bridge.

2011 May 15
I normally get my spices at Kardish. I think they have several locations around the Ottawa area.

I have plans to start getting some more unique spices at Andy's variety, (sidebar) mainly because I just found out they have take-out Indian food and the things I sampled were delish, especially the vegetable pakoras. (end sidebar)

2011 May 15
I like spices at Middle East store on Belfast.