Italian pastries [General]

2010 Dec 31
Enjoying a Cannolo at Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana yesterday got me thinking about Italian pastries... I saw a guy who may have been the owner there sitting down with something that looked a lot like this photo. Can anyone identify it? Googling Italian cork-shaped and pear-shaped pastries turned up some obscure references to something called Trefi. Anyway, I'll be sure to seek it out next time I visit.

2010 Dec 31
The other pastry I'd like to try is Sfogliatelle. Can we get these in Ottawa?

2010 Dec 31
FF - you can get lesser quality ones at DiRienzo's (and I think they bring theirs in from a bakery in Mtl, I could be mistaken though). The first one you show is called a rum baba (recipe video here: ) the second one you have there is called a lobster tail pastry (which I think is the translation of sfogliatella).

2010 Dec 31
Awesome.. thanks for the info Chimichimi! Now I'm on a (very slow-motion) pastry scavenger hunt. ;-)

2010 Dec 31
Note to self....have a connolo and a rum baba in 2011.

2011 Jan 1
The first one reminded me of Baba au Rhum.

Have bought those at Rideau Bakery (ok but lack of actual Rum), Second Ave Sweets - was more "bready" than a pastry...no actual rum could be tasted.

Brioche has something like that and it was not that great either.
I think I might just attempt to make my own.

That other pastry "lobster tail' looks good, is it filled?
will have to look for it and get it.

2011 Jan 1
I've had the sfogliatella in 2 different sizes, quite small perhaps 2 or so inches and larger (enough to share). One was at Simply Biscotti and the other at Nicastro's on Merivale. The pastry was filled in the centre - I think it was a nut flavour, pastry cream based filling. I was a while ago and I don't see them very often. It was fun to eat but make sure you have lots of napkins as the pastry shatters everywhere.

2011 Jan 1
Thanks for the reply!

I tried a similar version, except it was an Arabic version.
Malak pastry on bank st only, I have had a pastry that was phylo (or whatever they use for baklava dough), but it was in a triangle shape.
Inside was some custard cream that was not that sweet and it was topped with nuts (if you asked).

They don't always have these seems some weekends and special holidays.
But I am assuming it is a similar thing but w a different shape.
The thing w the Malak pastry (the name I have no idea of) is that they do not make tonsas if you keep them more than a few hours or a day at most they get soggy,so every time I got one this year there was not tons left.

(in case anyone is wondering I go top this store often enough as it is right beside the grocery store I go to and a few minutes from where I live).

Nicastro Merivale is good, but I no longer live in that area, and having gone to near there a few weeks ago it was 1h 20+ by bus and 3 buses :(
Nicastro Bank st they do not have pastries that I saw, Downtown might but have not been there lately.

2011 Jan 4
The Nicastros in the Byward Market (La Bottega) occasionally has pastries at the cash. (Usually cannoli and chocolate cookies that I "think" are from B.Goods but I could be mistaken.) I don't recall seeing pastries anywhere else in the store. I agree the Merivale Nicastros is the best one to go to for pastires.

Note to self: next trip to Preston street - visit the pastry shops-;)

2011 Jan 4
DeRienzo's gets italian pastries, but only once a week. If you aren't there early Saturday morning, you're out of luck.

FYI

2011 Jan 7
The Nicastro's in the byward market, they also sell some pretty lame and soggy baklva from Great Golden Greek.
-it tastes alright but is soaking in corn syrup and almost no nuts.
Good if you want a ton of sugary syrup....

Nicastro's in the market they also sell some biscotti they make. The chocolate chip Biscotti is really good, the plain one is good too.
They are on some table or sometimes beside the baklava.

I also found out the Nicastro's store on Bank st is not owned by the same people as the other stores?
I was told this when I won 2x $50gc in a photo contest and asked why it wasjust good at their location...and this is what they told me at the Bank st Glebe location.
The Glebe store never seems to have any pastries. They do sell Hewetts' yogurt and sour cream (I was looking for their yougurt recently).
Bank st store also does not have as much pasta and sauces that I like, or maybe just the day I was there there was not much...

I use3d to go to the Merivale location a lot when I went to school near there- would always get the sandwich and 500ml bottle soda for $4.50 it was then (not doubt they have that...).
And the lady who made my coffee always added a few Amaretti cookies to my order :)

2011 Jan 7
All of the Nicastro stores are independently owned. They are the same family, uncles and cousins, but are not a chain.

2011 Jan 10
Fresh Foodie The Nicastros on Bank Street in the Glebe had some sfogliatelle last weekend. They were in the counter on the left near the prepared dishes. I don't recall them ever selling pastries before but they looked pretty darn good. Unfortunately I haven't gotten my appetite back yet but as soon as I do I plan on heading back for a taste test-;) Happy noshing!

2011 Jan 31
FreshFoodie, I saw your pastries at Simply Biscotti on the weekend. There weren't many left, you might have a better chance of getting freshly made ones during the week. I can also recommend the black pepper biscotti.

2011 Jan 31
Thanks for the tip, hipfunkyfun! :-)

2011 Feb 1
Biscotti at Todrics is good!

I was at Todric's catering (on Mcarthur) two weeks ago and they have fresh Biscotti every day.
The flavors change all the time and they are very good and not too hard.

When I was there there was a apricot and pistachio Biscotti that was very good and have large pieces od dried apricot in it.
I think it is $1.25 or $1.50 per piece if I recall.

There was also a chocolate almond Biscotti,I did not try it but it looked very good and was full of almonds.
I wanted to get that,but did not want to get too many pastries.

They also have good muffins and cookies there too.

2011 Feb 1
I saw sfogliatella and a bunch of other Italian pastries at the little gourmet/Italian food shop at Hampton park plaza last weekend. I was in a big rush and didn't stop to gaze, but the sfogliatella caught my eye.

2011 Feb 1
Yes that would be Misto Food Emporium. It's a neat little shop and worth tying in a visit if you're ever in the neighbourhood.

2011 Feb 1
Thanks, Pasta lover!

2011 Feb 2
I looooooooove sfogliatella.
You can buy them on Saturdays at Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana on Preston St. They are delicious and IMO the best in the city.
Second place are the ones sold by Nicastros. I go to the location Merivale where they sell them both in the pastry case and the frozen section. They come in two sizes. If you buy them in the frozen section they come in a vacuum pack of 6 and really this is the way to get them. Let them thaw, give 'em an egg wash and bake at 350. Nothing like one fresh baked (but cooled enough!).
Warning: you will love them and pay for it with the roof of your mouth. Something about the gorgeous pastry roughs up the delicate skin on the roof.

2011 Jul 29
Sadly Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana on Preston St. has been struck by fire. Best of luck to the Calabro family. There is no finer pastry shop in Ottawa than theirs.