Sour Cherries [General]

2010 Jun 21
Anyone know when we might start seeing Ontario sour cherries showing up at the market/grocery stores since things are so early this year? I missed them last year and don't want to repeat that mistake. :)

2010 Jun 21
Mers I was at the Lansdowne Farmers Market as well as the Main Street Farmers Market over the weekend and I only saw strawberries so far. A little later in the summer there is a vendor from Beamsville that has a stall at the Lansdowne Farmers Market. They sell Ontario peaches, apricots, Concord grapes, etc. They might have sour cherries as well. I'm not sure how their fruits are doing but you could always send them an email. Here is their contact info from the Ottawa Farmers Market website:

Warner's Farm
Torrie Warner
Telephone: 905-562-5637
Email: twarner@vaxxine.com

2010 Jun 21
Thanks!

2010 Jun 22
We've been picking sour cherries from one of our backyard trees over the last couple of days. This is extraordinarily early for them, as it's usually well into July when they ripen, so I expect you'll see them very soon at the local farmers markets, if there are any producers that grow them... failing that, I would call around to some of the local fruit&veggie purveyors.

2010 Jun 22
Need those trees trimmed bdm? I'll do it for free.

2010 Jun 22
I have a black walnut tree that needs trimming :)

2010 Jun 22
I'm watching a friend's tree slowly ripen with tons of cherries on it. They have completely wrapped it in netting to prevent the birds and squirrels from stealing all their cherries.

My dad is taking down 2 apple trees - any takers?

2010 Jun 23
I actually e-mailed WARNER'S farm last week she said she might have some cherries in 2 weeks...so you might see them at lansdowne this sunday. Hopefully!!

2010 Jun 23
I'll contact you in PM chimi - assuming black walnut is edible (the walnuts, not the branches :-) ).

2010 Jun 23
Black walnuts are definitely edible. Branches can be used for smoking mixed in small amounts with other hardwoods, best for red meats & game according to my wood smoking chart.

2010 Jun 23
Heh... thanks for the offer, Zym, but it's a dwarf tree and doesn't need much trimming. Here's a photo of it, taken about a week ago.

2010 Jun 24
because we did not experience our usual long hard freeze in Ontario, you will see fruits, esp stone fruits and berries, much earlier this year
same with local asparagus :D

smoking with walnut wood is awesome but yes in small doses it can be rather tannic
chimi, you can pickle walnuts for later use

apple and cherry woods are two of my four fave woods to smoke with the others being peach and grape cuttings