Cornhusks [General]

2009 Sep 26
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can buy dried cornhusks?

2009 Sep 26
I think I saw some at the The Sultan Supermarket in South Keys in the same section as the charras, Maseca tortilla mix etc... The store is located on Bank and Hunt Club near the Produce Depot.
Mercado Latino on Montreal road in Vanier(ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1206)might have them as well

2009 Sep 27
Supermarket Al-Balad used to sell them... no longer though! Check la Cabana/la Tiendita on Merivale near Westgate.

2009 Sep 27
They had them at Sultan at Bank and Hunt Clubthanks for the info Little foodista, along with many other latin products. I even saw some mulato dried peppers, pesole,annatto seeds. Don't have to make the trek to Somerset for latin products anymore.

2009 Sep 27
You aren't a Beaver leader by chance are you? :-)

2009 Sep 27
They had them at La Tiendita (Merivale near Carling) when I was there on Friday.
:)

2009 Sep 28
fresh corn husks can be used also
no need to soak

2009 Sep 28
A Beaver? You mean like a cub scout Zymurgist? No not me.

I did the soak as per directions . Tamales are quite labour intensive. Won't be doing that again any time soon. They were good though. It migh have do to with the two thirds cup of lard whipped into the masa. Heart attack in a husk.

2009 Sep 28
ken v just because the recipe on the bag says to do so does not mean you have to
I make my tamales with olive oil instead
lol I've used duck fat
chicken fat
but OO seems to a good all-purpose alternative

2009 Sep 29
I am drooling... I <3 tamales...