Ottawa Magazine [General]

2009 Sep 15
I cannot BELIEVE you foodies have neglected to remark upon Ottawa Magazine's fantastic new edition: 101 Tastes to Try Before you Die! Because what is remarkable about it is that it is all OTTAWA tastes; not "macarons in Paris, beluga in Moscow, chimichurri in Buenos Aires, etc" No, these are all home grown tastes and flavours in a droolworthy photo spread!

I saw many favourites that are mentioned on this site: Beau's beer, Art-is-In bread, Stoneface Dolly's, Pascale's ice cream...my goodness! But then they also showed great creativity and went with some of MY favourite ethnic treats: burfi from an Indian grocery on Rideau (I think it was from there), Ethiopian cuisine, and on and on. Oh, very cool!

So what did you folks discover and decide you just have to try before you die?

2009 Sep 15
I can't speak for all of the users of this site, but I can say that in the past I have been displeased with Ottawa Magazine, and consequently I was disenchanted to pick up a copy of their most recent issue. Just as I take Chris Knight's opinion with an over abundance of salt, my disenchantment with Ottawa Magazine means I'm simply not inclined to read it, let alone write about it.

I think it's useful that the magazine is trying to promote regional dining and support of local businesses, but the fact of the matter is that their magazine relies on advertising rather than readership to pay its bills. Well-written, it is not.

But, about the concept.

101 tastes to try before you die is a very strange idea, because it lends to the theory that things won't change over time, and that there is a definitive list that one should attempt to accomplish. How boring would life be if there were only 101 tastes worth tasting in this city? And to have to remember all 101, or to have to return to the magazine everytime you go out, as though it were a checklist.

And that...is my two cents.

2009 Sep 16
I thought the list was pretty cool and was impressed at how well they covered things. It would have been easy to just include the safe and familiar but they included many newcomers to the Ottawa scene like True Loaf, Glengarry Cheese and Piggy Market, so they did their homework. There are of course lots of things that could have been included that weren't but it's all in good fun. I think we had most of the top 10 covered already...fwiw.

The Bison Egg Rolls were the one item that spoke to me - I need to go and pick some up soon. I also had no idea that there is a commercial fishing licence for sturgeon in the Ottawa River.

2009 Sep 16
it is a fun, light-hearted list of places to try that many people might not know about. i don't think they want it to be the only 101 things to try. it is also a pretty popular magazine topic. my outdoor magazines use it all the time.

2009 Sep 16
So fussy LwB! Where is your fun today? ;-) I also thought it was a fun, light hearted list. They could have easily renamed the article 'Diversity and flavour in the Boring City' I found it written as declaring that there is lots to love about the Ottawa food scene. As for slagging the magazine because it's advertiser supported? Come on, it is more than likely that the Ottawa market would not support a 'paid' magazine for lifestyle ( which would cost in the $10 - $15 range to make money ) and I can say I actually enjoy reading it when it arrives. Of course, I also read, and enjoy the adverts.. so my opinion is suspect.

2009 Sep 16
I think the list is a good start for people new to the city (who have no other foodie guidance) that are looking to experience some of Ottawa's unique gems. In fact, I'm surprised a thread hasn't been started on this website in the same spirit. Sure, we have a list of 'top rated' establishments, but that list doesn't cover the food events that are unique to Ottawa.

2009 Sep 16
I have to admit I thought about creating a topic in this regard, but forgive me I am wrong... I believe I am / was under the impression that Ottawa Magazine was only distributed FREE to specific Ottawa neighbourhoods, and that everyone else has to pay to get a copy (seem to recall this from a topic I posted last year in regards to their Dining Guide).

So at the time, I didn't think that it was a worthwhile topic, in that only a limited amount of OF Members would have seen the article (as I recall, the magazine gets the most distribution in the burbs, and almost none in the downtown core).

Anyhow, like the others, I see it as sort of an Intro-Starters List for those not well versed (like us OF Members) in the Ottawa & Environs food scene. The List serves a purpose (although discussion here would be a good thing) it really doesn't have much to offer that hasn't been discussed elsewhere on this website.

2009 Nov 22
i can't find an e-version of that list of ottawa magazine's "101 tastes to try before you die". is there any chance one of you would consider scanning and posting it somewhere online?