gazpacho [Recipes]

2009 Aug 4
i'm sharing my favourite summer gazpacho recipe, adapted from the moosewood cookbook. i slice veggies in half, then let the foodprocessor do the rest. it takes less than 10 minutes to make, though i like it best the next day and then it just gets better and better. serve very cold.

in food processor combine:
1/2 cup vidalia onion
1 green pepper, seeded
1 tablespoon honey
1 cucumber - seeded and peeled
Juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 lime
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 clove garlic
dash of ground cumin
dash or so cayenne
2 tablespoons olive oil

depending on the size of your bowl, either add to food processor, or mix in a larger bowl:
4 cups cold V8 juice (you could use just tomato juice)

salt & pepper to taste

put the whole thing in the fridge (i pour into mason jars) and chill well.

2009 Aug 5
HipFunkyFun - If it gets hot for a couple of days (perferably over a weekend) I will try out this recipe to be served on the patio for lunch.

Thanks for sharing.

2009 Aug 6
slight misprint. i just made this last night and the honey is only 1 teaspoon. it is great to have inplace of salad.

2011 Jun 24
Turns out Julie Jacobson loves this recipe too and has appropriated it as her own.

communities.canada.com

Her recipe is exactly the same as Moosewood (mine doesn't have the diced tomatoes). At least I gave credit to the source.

2011 Jun 24
haha, I saw that recipe this morning and thought "hey wait a minute" that's the same recipe I use (from Moosewood)

2011 Jun 24
Thanks HFF. Will make for sure. :)

2011 Jun 25
The French Laundry has an amazing recipe for Gazpacho with a balsamic glaze

2011 Jul 20
In recent times Gazpacho, a hearty and pungent soup has gained fame throughout the world for its amazing thirst-quenching quality.

This is also described as a liquid salad in many places. Gazpacho generally has a combination of stale bread, garlic, olive oil, salt, and vinegar. This soup is creamy which replenishes everyone with the necessary salt and vitamins lost through physical exertion in hot summer days. There are various ways to prepare this soup, but it wouldn't change the benefits of this soup.

2011 Jul 20
I stopped off in the market and picked up a whole bunch of veggies. We made two types of Gazpacho. Why? Because variety is the spice of life, we're AC free, some days it is too hot to cook and heat up the house and its a fairly inexpensive alternative to going out for dinner. Yes, there is also the BBQ but this is a nice cool alternative and/or addition. Besides we can always use more veggies! I've also been making various slaw type salads that hold decently and can be used as part of lunches and sides, as well as fresh pickles (cucumber, shallots, radish, carrots - some previously posted here: Forum - Pickling).

My guy decided to add the last bit of the green one to our dinner bowls creating a neato look. The rest are in separate containers in the fridge waiting...

The gist of each are as follows:

RED: garlic, purple onion, our garden's basil, a small amount of spinach, freshly ground white pepper, Worcestershire sauce, jalapeno peppers, Tabasco sauce, 2 stalks of our garden celery with leaves, sweet peppers (red, yellow, orange), tomatoes, cucumbers, lime juice, vinegar, pumpkin seed oil, salt.

GREEN: white onion, garlic, cucumbers, lime juice, a great deal of spinach, a few sprigs of English mint from our garden, basil also from our garden, vinegar, freshly ground white pepper, sweet pepper (yellow), salt.