Dining in Montreal [General]

2009 Mar 25
I am sure there is already a thread for this but can't seem to find it. Just wondering where the best places to go for food in Montreal are?

2009 Mar 25
My Mom's a Foodie Here is the previous thread: ottawafoodies.com/forum/908

In addition to the suggestions I already made I would also recommend a trip down Boulevard St. Laurent with a stop at Schwartz (excellent smoked meat) or the Montreal Pool Room (great steamies!). (There are probably tons of places I have forgotten.) Food&Think also made some great suggestions in that thread.

2009 Mar 25
These would be some of my choices:
-Au Pied de Cochon for one of the best meals of your life
-L'Express on St-Laurent for excellent old school French bistro food
-Joe Beef, Liverpool House, DNA in the old port
-Chez Doval on Marie-Anne for great cheap authentic Portuguese food
-Schwartz's
-Le Continental on St-Denis. Good place for a night out with friends. Food is actually good, cheap.
-Da Vinci for Italian

2009 Mar 25
My Mom's a Foodie - I did a GOOGLE global search for you on OF and came up with the following items:

Montreal - BYOW - www.ottawafoodies.com - forum 908
Montreal - Asian - www.ottawafoodies.com - forum 587
Montreal - High End - www.ottawafoodies.com - forum 625

Additionally there is a reference to the Monkland Bakery here at Croissants
And one for Chocolate at Chocolate

And for Dream Restaurants - www.ottawafoodies.com - forum 345

Also, don't forget to take a look at the OF Travel Wiki (currently only 3 entries) but this is the type of situation where in the future the Wiki could be invaluable, when someone can not find things via the OF SEARCH Feature.

2009 Mar 25
I lived in Montreal for 10 years and sadly some of my favourites are no longer around, but the ones that are:

-Casa Tapas on Marianne - awesome authentic tapas
-Chao Phraya (corner Clarke and Laurier) - best Thai in MTL
-I will second Daft Diner on Chez Doval - used to buy empanadas by the dozen
-Milos on ave du Parc - great Greek

2009 Mar 25
I loved Pinxtos on Roy. Best tapas I have had outside of Spain. Milos has been recommended to me many times, and I can't say enough good things about Schwartz's and Au Pied de Cochon.

2009 Mar 25
Au Pied du Cochon is the best culinary experience.
We have been to the; "3 brasseurs" for lunch. The tartinade with smoked salmon and shrimp is great!
My co-worker just went to; "Le Locale" this weekend and loved it.
I have also been to Vargus, that was a while ago, but great sushi and steak there.

2009 Mar 25
3rd vote for Schwartz's
I had dinner and a 30$ martini or 4 at the Ritz-Carlton a few years back and I refuse to comment on hotel food
and the best meal I can recall was at a Japanese resto but for the life of me and the help of several carafes of some of the best sake I've had outside of Kyoto, I cannot remember the name but I do recall they made some very interesting and sucessful attempts at fusing French sauces and presentation with traditional Japanese offerings

2009 Mar 25
Obi, is it Kaizen ?

2009 Mar 25
Au Pied du Couchon is what I suggested to the friends I am going with, never been but have heard amazing things about it. Just wanted to see what else is out there. Thanks for all of the ideas!

2009 Mar 25
poutine, yes it was
thank you

2009 Mar 25
one vote for sala rosa..amazing spanish tapas place and great atmosphere.

2009 Mar 26
I liked sala rossa as well...