Easter treats... [General]

2009 Mar 23
I think we`ve covered a lot of lists lately, but the one I haven`t seen a thread dedicated to Easter treats. So, Ottawa Foodies, let`s have`r--what Easter-time treats (regardless of whether you celebrate the holiday or not) are you looking forward to?

Mine:
-the first rhubarb
-Scandinavian potatos (basically baby potatoes sliced and baked with a lot of butter and finely grated cheese)

As for the chocolates, Andrew (the fiancé) eats Cadbury Creme Eggs non-stop from the time they arrive at the end of February. For Galler lovers, the Candy Store is kindly carrying Galler eggs. Theyre nearly as good as the chocolate bars themselves, but make for much easier hiding!

2009 Mar 23
Good topic (not sure if something similar came up last Easter)... Anyways:

LWB some of these say "Spring" to me others make me recall "Easters" past

*Maple Syrup (this always says March & April and the beginning of "Spring" to me)
*Hot Cross Buns (an Easter staple)
*Asparagus (although now available year-round still says Easter to me)
*Whole Ham (slow cooked for hours, fall off the bone - Easter Dinner)
*Scallop Potatoes (a perfect Ham needs to be married to the perfect potatoe)
*Lemon Meringue Pie (not one of my favourites... but if Apple Pie is Christmas then Lemon is Easter)
*Rhubarb (makes me think of Spring, but the local crop usually isn't ready until May)
*Fiddleheads (definitely a Spring thing, and an acquired taste)

CHOCOLATE - "The Man" likes any kind of chocolate (a guy who is a chocoholic... far more than I). When I think of Easter I think of two types of chocolate... either those Laura Secord Original Eggs with the yolk look middles (very very sweet) or else chocolate chickens or bunnies (let me have the ears). I like milk chocolate... and I like how the whole molded shape breaks apart into large angular pieces.

I remember when I was a kid, we had an Uncle who had no kids, my mother could have shot him whenever he showed up at Easter with Chocolate Bunnies for us kids... all she thought about was the dentist bills... us kids we knew to get into the chocolate BEFORE he left the house, otherwise the bunnies would be confiscated the minute he got out the door. LOL

2009 Mar 23
F&T: it`s funny that you mention asparagus. In Germany (and most of Europe) asparagus is only just becoming a year-round thing. But, around April or May, wagons (like what we have here for strawberries) come out selling local asparagus by the tonne. I kid you not, when I lived there, there was a three or four week period where every dinner, and many lunches had asparagus in them. And, not once did I tire of it.

2009 Mar 23
LWB - Maybe that is why I too like it sooooo much, it used to be such a rare and "special" sort of thing. I remember in the Springtime you'd find it often served at Sunday Dinner (typically starting with Easter), not to mention all the "Spring Showers" (Bridal, Baby, etc) that I went to once I reached my teens... it was such a "adult" thing to have... either white or green asparagus in rolled up finger sandwiches with cream cheese. Yummy!

2009 Mar 23
Hot cross buns, sliced in half, buttered, and 'griddled' until golden brown and crispy. Amazing.

2009 Mar 23
THE annual Easter Easter treat for us is some homemade hot cross buns, split, toasted and smothered with butter (note to self: get some raisins into some rum or kirsch after getting off 'puter); the annual chocolate Easter treats are Lindt eggs, hopefully arriving in the mail from Switzerland. Our rhubarb won't be edible until into May and I can't think of asparagus as an Easter treat as it dosen't get up in the garden until the end of May/beginning of June, when we too will be eating it day after day after day after.... Now ham and scalloped potatoes with some maple baked beans - that's a worthy Easter treat, along with m'lady's favourite dessert, Frozen Lemon Meringue Torte.

Griddled hot cross buns, Chimichimi? Now that's a new one for me to try. Amazing, you say?

2009 Mar 23
Andy - if you're a fan of the toasted & buttered variety of hot cross bun, you will definitely enjoy this variation.

2009 Mar 23
So do you use a panini grill, a frying pan or what Chimichimi? Just so's I can picture the authentic Chimichimi griddled hot cross bun! =;0)

2009 Mar 23
Andy - use a frying pan, a panini would compress the hot cross bun into... oblivion. It might taste good that way, perhaps I should experiment?!

2009 Mar 23
I was just about to launch into explaining Eggs Goldenrod (the only dish I truly associate with Easter)when I got a flashback of having described it before...sure enough!

www.ottawafoodies.com

2009 Mar 23
I definately get my fill of asparagus. I love it oven roasted!
I always like Ham at Easter and will always miss my German grandfather's smoked hams. Homemade potato salad is a must have with baked ham (store bought is DISGUSTING!)

I'm not a huge chocolate fan but I could probably get happy off the smell of cadbury's mini eggs. I love that smell.

Spring flowers are also my favorites.

2009 Mar 23
Food is HOT - You have linked, to a post that talks about Eggs Goldenrod... but doesn't give the "whole" story, here then is the correct link. www.ottawafoodies.com

2009 Mar 24
Ah - thanks F&T!