Best roast beef [General]

2008 Nov 4
I have a couple of questions on cooking a perfect roast beef :) I used to buy "eye of round roast" for that but now I think it's a bit tough (I also found on the internet that it's better to braise this cut) and I should try something else like "prime rib roast". What is your choice of cut for the roast beef? It's difficult for me to adjust to the local names of beef cuts, since it's very different back at home. The other question is on the cooking itself. I stick to Heston Blumenthal's slow roasting principles, cooking meat from 5 to 8 hours on the lowest temperatures possible. After that I leave it covered with foil for another 10-15 min allowing the temperature to raise by 3-5 degrees C. BUT! Blumenthal is stating that cooking meat like that allows you to keep all the juices in (avoiding high temperatures helps not to squeeze the juices out of meat)... but when I start carving/slicing the meat - everything(!) just pours out and in several minutes the meat becomes just completely dry. In the end with a 1,5 kilo roast beef you have a couple of glasses of juice - nice thing to cook gravy but I would like it to stay in the meat. While Blumenthal is carving his "perfect meat" you don't see a single drop coming out of it. Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance as always!

2008 Nov 4
I'm wary of disagreeing with Mr Blumenthal - after all he is the king of perfection ... however I usually do my roast in a very hot oven then turn it
down. Seems to work for me.

The best cut is a prime rib roast by far. There is none better for straight forward roast.

If you are not wanting to shell out the primo bucks for this type of roast, I find a sirloin roast does nicely. Generally I'd stay away from eye of round, unless you want to do a pot roast (which is of course another way of saying braised).

2008 Nov 4
Moscovite - My all time favourite cut of beef is a Prime Rib Roast for sure.

Over the years, I have seen lots of different "recommended" ways to cook roast beef, but my favourite is the following:

Preheat Oven to 450C
Place the roast in a shallow pan, or on a roasting rack over a pan.
DO NOT COVER, DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID
Once the oven is done preheating
Place the roast in the oven, and immediately turn down the heat to 350C
Cook for 15 - 18 minutes per pound for Rare,
Cook for 18 - 20 minutes per pound for Medium Rare
Remove from Oven and cover with a tinfoil tent, and let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes before carving

Because I like my meat more on the Rare side than the Well Done, I've discovered this trick over the years:

Purchase the Roast a couple of days ahead and freeze it.
The Day that I want to cook it, defrost in the microwave (not flipping it over)
Defrost to the point where the top half is almost totally defrosted, while the bottom half is still somewhat frozen.
Cook as per the instructions above, check at the RARE point. From this point on you continue cooking and checking... ideally you want to pull out the roast the second you like the look of it... if you time it right you should end up with half your roast at Medium (the top) and the other half at Rare or Medium Rare (the bottom)... great for when serving friends or family who like a variety of doneness.
(If there happens to be anyone who likes their meat well done, you can either cut their slices and put them in the hot oven while the rest of the roast sits, or nuke the slices in the microwave).

2008 Nov 4
Hi

Re: your juicy roast issue, perhaps try letting the roast rest a bit longer while wrapped in tinfoil for about 15-20 min, this allows the juices to redistribute and it should be easier to carve. If you think about it, before you pull an uncovered roast out of the oven, the outer perimeter of the meat is actually somewhat dry (as it has been bombarded with radiant heat energy from the oven walls), while the interior is slightly undercooked and very, very moist (as it takes longer for the heat to penetrate this far). By letting the roast rest, and juices redistribute, you are allowing the moisture to go back into the drier (outer) parts of the roast while the temperature evens out around the roast and continuing to cook the interior.

I have had great success with the technique where you put the roast in the very hot oven (around 500F)reduce to 425 for 21 min (rule of thumb 7 min/lb) and then turn the oven off. It sounds crazy, and you have let it sit for 2.5 hrs and certainly not open the door of the oven, but if you get it right, this technique produces lovely medium-rare results. I would suggest a good oven, and a tender cut will always turn out better, however if you slice an eye of round thinly and against the grain it will turn out great using this method as well.

I recently followed the recipe more or less in the link below, results were as advertised:
allrecipes.com

I also find rotisserie cooking in an oven or barbecue at a temp of around 400-425 is excellent and almost impossible to screw up. Just check with a thermometer or by touch and you get a lovely, moist roast each time.

Prime rib is a phenomenal cut for an oven roast, but of course incredibly expensive. Top sirloin is another excellent cut at a slightly better price. I have also done whole striploins (i think it was 60$ at costco for a 10+lb monster)which turned out really well for a big crowd.

2008 Nov 4
I'll second Tracinho's comment about letting the roast sit before cutting, if it wasn't being rested already.

I've had great success with a recipe that I'm pretty sure I pulled from the Bon Appétit Cookbook. It was a roast crusted with a mixture of dried wild mushrooms, salt, and horeradish (I think?). Magnificent. Can't find the recipe on-line, though.

2008 Nov 4
Momomoto - Now we are into a whole new category...
When it comes to crusting I have a few stand-by recipes that I go to. I like my meat this way as well... but sometimes I find that when it is a Family Holiday, then I have to go with just the plain old roast (to please the most people), and save the "fancy stuff" for Sunday Dinners at home.

2008 Nov 4
Prime Rib is my choice. 7lbs. Room Temperature(that means sitting out of fridge for a couple of hours at least). Salt and pepper generously, sear on all sides until well browned. Place on a small rack in your roasting pan. 250 degree oven for 3 1/2 hours. Let sit 20-30 Minutes. carve and enjoy. Perfect every time.

2008 Nov 4
Let your meat rest for way longer than 10-15 mins. More like 30+ mins, for a whole eye of round roast. Oviously if its to cold in your kitchen to rest it for this long leave it in your oven with the door open. You should not have a problem. Like Tracinhos said the blood needs to distribute back to the outer layers of the meat. Good Luck, and happy meat. I recomend top butt roasts for a nice cheap but juicy cut.

2008 Nov 5
don't forget the yorkshire pudding !

2008 Nov 9
I sear stovetop in a cast iron pan, then to the oven on lower temp (250ish). I use a digital probe thermometer rather than time based methods, as time does not take into account the shape of the roast and will not be accurate. The 'touch' method can be used for the more experienced, I prefer my thermometer.

Leave the thermometer in while it rests, which should be 30min+ for a larger sized roast, tented.

2008 Nov 9
I should have mentioned the thermometer as well. I absolutely rely on mine too .... the timing thing mentioned was just a general guide line.