Ottawa Magazine - 2009 Dining Guide [General]

2008 Sep 22
The latest issue of the Ottawa Magazine came out yesterday (was delivered to subscribers of the Ottawa Citizen). It included Ottawa Magazine’s 2009 Dining Guide.

Subscriptions to Ottawa Magazine can also be obtained online at www.ottawamagazine.com

I like the format and layout of the 2009 Dining Guide, and there were some excellent articles including:

"Seven Tour Destinations in Ontario's Wine Country"
- The Grange of Prince Edward Estate Winery (PECounty)
- Huff Estates (PECounty)
- Norman Hardie Winery (PECounty)
- Rosehall Run Vineyards (PECounty)
- Flat Rock Cellars (Niagara)
- Hidden Bench Vineyards and Winery (Niagara)
- Malivoire Wine Company (Niagara)

"A Bridge to Great Rewards"
Culinary Delights from Wakefield

"Just oot of the Way"
Fine Delicacies from the Outaouais

"New Food Destination"
Gourmet Go-To Places in Lanark County

"County Bounty"
Tastes of Prince Edward County

--- --- ---

The Dining Guide 2009 features 37 Restaurants, 5 Caterers, and 2 Specialty Food entries. Each listing includes a description of the type of fare served, along with the house specialities and don’t miss dishes. There is also a paragraph on “the scene” along with address, contact info, and a handy guide to pricing.

This year’s edition also lists those restaurants participating in the Savour Ottawa program (sourcing food from local farmers), I have noted those establishments here with an asterisk *, more info on Savour Ottawa can be found at www.savourottawa.ca

As well the Dining Guide is running a contest this year.

Show proof (original receipt bearing your name with a minimum purchase of $ 50 before tax and tip) that you have visited 10 of the Dining Guide 2009 Restaurants by July 31, 2009 and you’ll be entered to win Gift Certificates at 10 Restaurants from the Dining Guide 2010 valued at $ 100 each.

The establishments featured in the Ottawa Magazine 2009 Dining Guide are:

*Absinthe
Al’s Steakhouse
Arome Seafood & Grill
Aux Chantignoles, Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello
Baccara
Buffet Banco
Buffet Charbonneau
*Culinary Conspiracy
*Courtyard Restaurant
D’Arcy McGee’s Irish Pub
East India Company
Elephant & Castle
Fish Market Restaurant
Foundation Restaurant
French Café
Fresco Bistro Italiano
Giovanni’s
Good Food Company
Groovy Grapes
Hy’s Steakhouse
*John Taylor at Domus
Knox Fine Dining
Merlot Rooftop Grill
Mezzanotte Innovative Italian Cuisine
Mixing Bowl
Paesano Restaurant
*Perspectives at Bookstreet
Piazza Courtyard & Lounge
Redhead Pantry
*Restaurant e18hteen
*Sam Jakes Inn
Scone Witch
Shafali
Showtime Ferme Rouge Restaurant
Signatures by Le Cordon Bleu
*Social
Sterling Restaurant
*Thyme & Again
Tosca Ristorante
Trattoria Café Italia
*Urban Element
*Urban Pear
Village Café
Whalesbone Oyster House

IMO, all good picks and there were yummy descriptions. I'm sure I'll be referring to my issue often this year!

2008 Sep 24
Hmmm. Some of the restaurants such as Beckta, Mandarin Ogiville, Yangzhe (I mean those have been around for years) are not included. I am sure that restaurants need to pay $$$ to be included in the dining guide. This is why I don't refer to those dining guide often.

2008 Sep 24
Ashley - I am sure you are right. Like all Ottawa Restaurant Review sources I will consult this one as well with a "grain of salt"... however I did like the write-ups and the info provided (house specialties, pricing, mood) for the establishments listed. I`m a big believer in the more resource materials available, the better.

2008 Sep 24
Where are Wellington Gastropub, Napo, Infusion Bistro, Aroma Meze?
This guide missed a lot of good restaurants.

2008 Sep 24
Mr. Red .... Isn't it obvious ?

Wellington Gastropub, Napo, Infusion Bistro, Aroma Meze (and the number one 'rated' restaurant at Ottawa Foodies (Ahora)) etc. didn't advertise in the Ottawa Magazine ... ever.

Do people really think that a magazines restaurant guide is based on the food and restaurant experience ?

2008 Sep 25
Captain C - Some probably do. As I said I do like the fact that it has some handy info on the house specialties, type of cuisine etc. It just supplements my hardcopy "car stack" seeing I have yet to get a blackberry so I take Ottawa Foodies with me on the road (other than lugging a laptop around). I'm waiting for the day when the term "on board computer" in the car industry means exactly that... ooooh that will be sweet!
;-)

2008 Sep 26
I agree with the sentiment that this is a dining guide to be ignored, since inclusion in the guide is clearly not based on merit.

BTW, the statement that Ottawa Mag was delivered to Citizen subscribers needs to be qualified. I'm a subscriber, and I've never received a freebie copy of Ottawa Mag with the newspaper. Apparently I don't live in an area with a suitable demographic. It kinda goes against the grain to pay for a mag that so many get for free, so I generally ignore it, despite the occasional interesting article.

2008 Sep 26
I think they should drop the "Guide" from the name.

2008 Sep 26
BDM - Interesting I never knew that... that it was a demographic thing. I thought that the Ottawa Citizen advertised that they include the "Ottawa Magazine" (x) amount of times per year with an annual subscription.

2008 Sep 26
F&T I know you were staunchly opposed to the eatinottawa.com idea of having a "guide" of only select restaurants. Isn't this the same thing but without the nice photos?! :P

2008 Sep 26
Monty - You are absolutely right of course, the listings are similar in that they paid for. Although Ottawa Foodies is my primary source that I refer to for a realistic point of view (particularly so, when I pick out a place to eat in the downtown core... which lets face it most of these so called "Guides" cater to). Of course, Ottawa Foodies is my first source if I want to see real photos
:-)

I also have a collection of other items that go into the previous referred to "car stack" and yes many of them I recognize are self-promoting, or loosely titled "Reviews". But until Santa brings me that blackberry, or some great european sportscar with an "on board computer" I have to indeed compromise my ideals. BTW, also in the pile is my copy of the Entertainment Book, which has saved me a fortune and thereby has made my foodie dollar go a little farther.

2008 Sep 27
Aside from this site, the only local dining guide I've found to be useful in recent years is Anne DesBrisay's "Capital Dining". Not free, of course, but you get what you pay for, and she does provide updates on her website.

Speaking of dining guides, I still have my copy of "Capital Cuisine", by Peter Cochrane, published in 1990. Anybody else still have that one? Kinda fun to flip through, and reminisce about all the places that have fallen by the wayside. Whatever happened to Peter, anyway? I used to hear him on the CBC, and run across him at places like the Wine & Food Show, but he seems to have dropped out of sight.

2008 Sep 29
Dear bdm, sad to report that Peter Cochrane is dead. I have that guide of his too. I wrote Capital Dining because there hadn't been an independent guide to Ottawa restaurants (one not tied to advertising) since his came out. In those 14 years, much changed! Thanks for the kind comments about CD.

2008 Sep 29
Anne - Thanks for sharing that info, albeit sad. I also was a fan of Peter and the "Capital Cuisine" publication.

2008 Sep 29
Thanks, Anne - I'm saddened to hear of Peter's passing, though I suspected as much from his long silence. His passion for things epicurean was infectious, and I suspect he would be pleased with how the Ottawa restaurant scene has evolved and matured. Many changes, indeed!

2008 Oct 9
Establishments do have to pay for a page in the ottawa dining guide, a hefty price at that. The reviews are written by the magazine itself and the business has little to say about what it says. Having said that, would you advertise with someone who slams your business, probably not which is why you don't see many negatives things in the write up. Most people think the restaurants are 'chosen' to be in the book which is why it is a nice marketing tool for them. The secret is out;)