Champagne cocktails [Food/Vendor]

2008 May 19

I'm hosting a bridal shower this Sunday for my sister. It's from 12-3 and aside from wine I want to offer a sparkling wine cocktail. My sister hates OJ so mimosa's are out of the question. Anybody have any favorites? I'm leaning more towards just adding juice and not more liquor since it's a brunch thing, like pomegranate, or peach? Any suggestions??

2008 May 19
Peach - for bellinis!

2008 May 19
Pear nectar or passion fruit juice is great.

2008 May 19
I had a yummy one last night - passion fruit juice, lychee liquer, and Prosecco, with a slice of pear.

2008 May 20
what type of sparkling wine to you plan on serving? an easy one to have is Il Prosecco. it opens using a bottle cap opener. you do not want anything too sweet.

the easiest cocktail is to just use a juice that your sister likes. for mother's day my husband used mango nectar and fresh mango slices on the glass. you could do raspberry - plus fresh berries at the bottom of the glass, or pomegranate with juice and a few full seeds, i have had both and they are good.

i love a classic champagne cocktail though, with bitters and a touch of cognac. or kir royale - yum! check the lcbo website for some recipes and then you can also find which stores have liquers instock near you.

also, don't overlook just a nice glass of sparkling wine, nothing added. if you have juice available, people will have a glass of that to start and then indulge - at least that is what usually happens at the showers i have been too (oh, and plan for any games after some of the wine has been drunk, makes for more fun).

2008 May 20
No matter what alcohol additive you decide on--frozen berries (blue, rasp or black) are great. Just freeze them on a cookie sheet, bag when frozen and add a few at the last minute to the cocktail--I like bellinis with frozen blackberries and a slight swirl of chambord...yummm

2008 May 21
Champagne... or Sparkling Wine. The perfect alcohol (just check out my foodie icon). LOL. Honestly, you can hardly ever go wrong with this as your base. Kir Royale is definitely hip right now, very girly, making a big come-back (partly due to the everything 80s trend). When it comes to Champagne, Fruit Juice is always a great addition, just pick your favourite. Like HipFunkyFun I too like it with Raspberry or Pomegranate. Cranberry Juice is also a good mixer. And frozen fruit as a garnish is perfect. Somewhere I have a recipe for a Champagne Punch it is always a hit, I'll see if I can find it and post it.