Tailgators [General]

2008 Feb 27
First there were Big Box Stores.... now Big Box Bars !!

Anyone been here ?, any comments ?

I was going to make a new entry for Tailgators on Ottawa Foodies... but I'm not a Big Box Fan.

www.tailgators.ca/

2008 Feb 27
Been there twice, service is crap, had wings, they only serve dry and u get to choose from a bunch of sauces on the side, the wings were good although had a strange overwhelming dry herb taste to them, couldn't put my finger on the taste... Thought there would be larger screens for sports, because they are marketed as sports bars. They sometimes wait until partway through the game to put the music down and game noise up. Weird. They are supposed to open a martini area, don't think it's open yet, but you can still order 'girlie' drinks in the pool area/or bar areas. Also the treacherous stairs are quite the feat after a few drinks, they do have an elevator though. Seems to be more 'upscale' patrons then the barely legal crowd they used to have at the bar that used to be there...

2008 Feb 27
Hmm, looks like direct competition for Local Heroes in that area... I doubt Tailgators will last long though, since LHs has a very loyal wing-eating-sports-fan-cheap-beer-swilling following and is very involved in the community. Time will tell.

2008 Feb 27
Thanks for posting this. I know someone in my group of friends has been there (just can't recall who)... they didn't say much about the place, which tells me it didn't stand out in any way. BUT, now that you've posted this, I'm curious about all the things the ad talks about, so I'm thinking I should at least check it out.

2008 Feb 28
The first time we went in there was areas setup to do virtual golf, but I don't think it took off very well, and it was a bit pricey I think, and last time we went in, it looked like those areas (which have to be quite large for the screens, etc. seemed to be filling up with junk, chairs, etc.

2008 Feb 28

Looks like the golf thingy at the Tailgate is as popular as the Joe Fresh clothing line, which is found at your local BlahBlah's or Great Canadian Stupid-store.

"...And in the suburbs they had a box,
ee-yi ee-yi yoooh
With a Big Box here,
and a Big Box there,
Here a Box, There a Box
Everywhere a Box Box..."

Or in Big Resto-Box Speak: 'Badda-Boom, Badda-Bing !!'

2008 Sep 7
Would love to comment on the food, but ours never came. After an hour and a half, we cancelled our order. Service was ridiculously slow...we couldn't even pay by credit card because the server didn't come back, so we paid cash and left no tip. This was on a UFC PPV night when they should have been kicking ass with service and food because the place was busy. I won't be going back...we'll head back to Local Heroes from now on where you can at least count on getting what you order.