Returning to Ottawa for a whirlwind eating adventure! [General]

2017 Jun 22
My dear OFs,

It has been too long! Having left Ottawa (and Canada) for almost 2 years, I'm back this summer for a whirlwind 2 weeks of seeing friends, hugging family and eating FOOOD.

I'm planning to hit up my favourites (obviously), and would like your suggestions on what the new community darlings are. We are unfortunately not swimming in cash (despite what everyone tells you about working overseas), so we can't eat every night at restaurants where we're dropping 100's. We are however, hoping to have about 2-3 nights to go somewhere "special"? (ie. $80/pp?)

Well, without further ado, let's get to my starter list, shall we? Please feel free to let me know if things have gone downhill, no longer worth the hype, have alternative sister-restaurants to try, or call me out on my bad choices!

OLD FAVOURITES:
- Macarons et Madeleines (for breakfast)
- El Camino (for a quick afternoon taco break)
- Alirang (for gamjatang...I don't care if it's 50C out)
- Gezellig or The Wellington Gastropub (for a work lunch with my old colleagues
- The SmoQue Shack (for their jerk pork - my husband's favourite)
- Hintonburger (for a quick lunch)
- Pho Bo Ga 2 (843 Somerset) (family fav, something about the familiarity)
- Edgar (for literally ANYTHING)
- Art Is In Bakery (for breakfast or lunch)
- town (my absolute favourite restaurant in Ottawa)
- Brothers Beer Bistro (for a beer flight and light meal)

NEW TASTINGS
- Sansotei Ramen (is this worth the hype? or should I go to the TO locations?)
- Datsun (I want to take my Chinese parents here and listen to them rain judgement while stuffing my face...)
- citizen (I mean, I love town so...)
- North and Navy (I've heard good things, but there hasn't been a review here since 2015!)

Unleash your foodie fires OFs! I would love more suggestions of places to eat that won't break the bank (like my plane ticket already has). We may love a nice evening out at town once in a while, but my husband finds most restaurants too "fancy", so no table clothes please. Regardless, I'm SO EXCITED for our return this summer!

EDIT: Apparently even after all these years, I still don't know how to link vendors properly

2017 Jun 22
I'm always a sucker for Chez Lucien Burger BUT have recently discovered Black Tomato burgers - (And their AMAZING blue cheese, procuitto phyllo roll appetizer)

Chez Anh looks good! and nicely priced. Haven't been yet, but trying it for the first time tonight.

Pressed café for a nice affordable sandwich lunch combo

Shawarma Palace platter

2017 Jun 22
Some suggestions are:

* La Noodles on George St behind Metro and LCBO Rideau (or Kanata, not sure if the one on Merivale opened yet) - inexpensive but fun to watch hand pulled noodles
lanoodle.ca/

* Rivera - expansive but a nice atmosphere... Brunch may be a less expansive option. Another Matthew Carmichael Jorden Holley restaurant like El Camino and Datsun
www.dineriviera.com/

* Carben - Great food and great service
www.carbenrestaurant.com/

* Bar Laurel - Spanish tapas ( or original restaurant Fauna)
www.barlaurel.ca/

* Meatpress - great sandwich place --- love the smoked duck and homemade soda and they started serving dinner
meatpress.ca/

* Coconut Lagoon - Joe Thottungal won Gold Medal plate last year and came 2nd in the Canadian Culinary Championship. The lunch buffet and weekend brunch buffet are slightly increased in price after the win and renovation but still a fairly reasonable $18 and 19 respectively.
www.coconutlagoon.ca/

* Feast & Revel at Andaz Hotel - Stephan Le Salle is heading the kitchen there now and they have a great rooftop bar.. had a few tasty things there and they have some interesting sharing platters.
ottawa.andaz.hyatt.com

* LCBO Rideau and King Edward for Vintages tasting bar if you want to try a custom wine/liquor flight from their selection of 16 that changes every 2 weeks

* Soif bar a vin on the Gatineau side - Veronique Rivest came 2nd in the world sommelier competition in Japan a few years ago and Jamie Stunt from Oz Cafe heads the kitchen there. They have a nice patio so good for a nice day.
www.soifbaravin.ca/

* Petit Bill is also one of my regular places and love their short rib grilled cheese and seafood chowder

For more authetic Chinese, my brother in law who is a foodies and very picky about his Chinese food likes Sea King on Merivale but there are better ones in Toronto if you are heading that way.

Of the ones on your list, Macarons et Madeleines and Gezellig are on my normal rotation..

Hope this helps
FT

2017 Jun 25

2017 Jun 25
I second Table 85. The food is delicious.

2017 Jun 27
Table 85 is a good choice too.

2017 Jun 27
My suggestions are as follows:

-Chez Anh (Banh Mis, fresh rolls, pho, very low prices)
-Huong's (more variety, great Bun Bo Hue, good Banh Xeo, very inexpensive)
-Supply and Demand (buck a shuck oysters on sunday evenings)
-Shanghai Wonton House or La Noodle for dumplings and soup
-Taquiera Kukulklan for Tacos Al Pastor and Ceviche

So many good options in Ottawa!

2017 Jun 27
I was going to say that we really loved eating at North and Navy the last time we went, but I bet that *was* in 2015! Regardless, it was delicious. We've also enjoyed Fauna.