Pasture raised chicken coming to Ottawa [General]

2016 Jul 19
Apparently "Free Range" just means they have access to outside, whereas "Pasture Raised" means they are living on pasture.

www.livinghomegrown.com

and

certifiedhumane.org

and

chealth.canoe.com

2016 Jul 19
I found the pasture raised chicken was more stringy/firm/tuff (and a lot less fat) .... but ohhhh the FLAVOUR !

I only had one source and am curious to find out if my experience is typical. Anyone ?

2016 Jul 19
I get pastured raised chickens and I do find that I need to treat them a bit different than grocery store chickens. For Broilers, I brine for a bit 1st or make sure to bake with lemon under the skin to help break it down a bit. The stewing hens of course go for a long braise.

The flavour is amazing though

2016 Jul 19
Yup, the more they get to run around the more exercise they get and the more firm their muscles are.

Ever have wild goose?

2016 Jul 19
I have had wild goose, I used to get it from a friend who lived on reserve. But I've never been a fan. Maybe I need to give it another try

Same thing with pasture raised pork. It is not "the other white meat" The meat is rich and darker

2016 Jul 19
How do you keep foxes from eating them if they are running free and foraging in pasture ? Will they come back to a roost at night ? 3000 of them ? Where do they sleep ? Sounds like you need land, but not too much work, but I must be missing something. $42 a bird is a good selling price.

The best meat I ever had in my life was many years ago in Cuba. We rode on horseback and kept seeing what I thought were feral pigs running through the jungle. When we stopped for lunch in the mountains, one of them pigs was turning on a wood spit over some hot coals, and it was very, very, very good.

2016 Jul 20
A greeting card I recently received...

Front: I bought a free-range chicken. You know, the kind that runs free and gets pampered like a family pet, right up until the day they kill it.
Inside: It tasted surprised.